Is The Philippines Right for Me

I have just returned from the Philippines after spending three weeks there and returning to the Uk via a four night stop in HCMC and I am questioning if the Philippines is the right place for me to eventually retire in a few years. I may upset a few people later in this post and for that I am sorry.

I had a great time with my girlfriend and beautiful 2 year old daughter in Cagayan De Oro and spent the last 3 days in Mactan/Cebu with my beautiful girlfriend exploring and relaxing. The relationship is certainly not the problem here but the Philippines itself.

So this is what I found difficult:

The insects and bugs and getting a good nights sleep because of the noise of the cockerels crowing. The heat and constantly sweating throughout the day, Eating rice daily.

And now for the controversial bit, the grime, the litter, seeing rivers and streams poluted, dirty beaches, people using the street as a public toilet and talking of toilets, I stayed in Pasay for 2 nights, one at the start and one at the end of my visit and although I did not explore the area much I would compare most of the area to a dirty public toilet and the buildings or most of the structures that pass for homes need, in my opinion, demolishing. I have never seen such an awful place in all my life. And some of Cagayan De Oro was the same so my questions are: Is the Philippines the right place for me and can I do anything to overcome these issues?

Of the few places I have visited in the Philippines, I think only Davao would be a viable option for me.

And did I mention the ants, everywhere haha
I have just returned from the Philippines after spending three weeks there and returning to the Uk via a four night stop in HCMC and I am questioning if the Philippines is the right place for me to eventually retire in a few years. I may upset a few people later in this post and for that I am sorry.

I had a great time with my girlfriend and beautiful 2 year old daughter in Cagayan De Oro and spent the last 3 days in Mactan/Cebu with my beautiful girlfriend exploring and relaxing. The relationship is certainly not the problem here but the Philippines itself.

The insects and bugs and getting a good nights sleep because of the noise of the cockerels crowing. The heat and constantly sweating throughout the day, Eating rice daily.

And now for the controversial bit, the grime, the litter, seeing rivers and streams poluted, dirty beaches, people using the street as a public toilet and talking of toilets, I stayed in Pasay for 2 nights, one at the start and one at the end of my visit and although I did not explore the area much I would compare most of the area to a dirty public toilet and the buildings or most of the structures that pass for homes need, in my opinion, demolishing. I have never seen such an awful place in all my life. And some of Cagayan De Oro was the same so my questions are: Is the Philippines the right place for me and can I do anything to overcome these issues?

Of the few places I have visited in the Philippines, I think only Davao would be a viable option for me.

- @Cherryann01

Being a westerner, I hear you and understand. But despite all of your accurate observations, I still prefer the Philippines to Canada because there is no toxic feminist culture or Woke nonsense here. I feel the people are more authentic here than in Canada. More friendly too. It's also incredibly expensive now to fly to Canada since the start of the pandemic in 2020. Ticket prices are 3 times more expensive than what they were prior to the pandemic.

- @Cherryann01
Yes its common its very dirty (outside) by the common is having the habbit to just throw garnage anywhere even candy wrap papers at their own farm! A foreigner had big problems to try to teach relatives to stop that. He tried by put them including himself at cleaning up. I dont know if he has succeeded.

Solution: Stay away from people    :)  and far enough away from people with roosters and UPSTREAM.
There are nice places with good road e g in Aborlan, Palawan     (and where I plan to live but I dont tell where because I dont want people to move there   :)

If you want city Puerto Princesa (and Baguio) have reputation to be much cleaner. (At least before covid they had volontary groups cleaning.)

You dont need to eat rice all the time, you can let the others eat what they want and you eat what you want.   (Part can be same.)

Concerning insects where you live there are plants they dont like to keep them away e g citronella against mosquitos.  And DONT have house with the in Phils common "highways" in for insects   =Gap between roof and wall.  No doorsteps so insects get in there easy.

Concerning ants there are chemicals, but there can be better solutions. Ants keep SNAKES AWAY so they can be nice to have around but not to close.  Although snakes can be nice to keep rats and mice away   1f923.svg so its a choise.  I havent tested in Phils but this functions in Sweden.  FEED the ants outside if its season they are short of food, so they dont need to get to close, and dont make it to easy to find food inside so they find that easier than their sourses outside. E g I sliced a bit bad oranges I would have thrown away otherwice, and put them at the ant highway between their and my homes.   

@onefogarty ...well.... not 3 times... but definitely alot more... I was paying about 750 - 850 before the Scamdemic from Washington State to Manila... Now, my flight in February 10th - March 8 was $1,100, and in March 28th (I had to come back for 3 weeks for business) was $1,200... I just got back here to Washington on May 29th, and booked my next flight in early August, and it is $1,400(and the days i fly are very flexible, so that was on the cheap side of the flights...So almost double! ... but I am getting very close to staying much longer each time now, so all good 👍🏻

@Cherryann01 .... so... Everything you said was definitely true... The Philippines is definitely an acquired taste as far as daily life... there is the bad... garbage, and filth, etc... like you said, and there is the good... (My beautiful Fiancee, nice warm weather, beaches(some nicer than others)... some absolutely amazing and the most beautiful I have ever seen... if you explore and find them...  and friendly people, etc... But I do understand... When I first came to Philippines, I met a gal in Dasmarinas, Cavite near Manila... Dirty, soggy, nasty place... hated it... but if take the time and go to see other places... you will find really amazing, beautiful areas... of course the shack houses are everywhere you go... it is a third world country... and that is part of living here... on the flip side... I am sure you did not complain about paying $10 - $15 bucks for a nice dinner for you and your gal either... or the hotel that was only $40.00 either... so it is give and take.... But definitely not for everyone... For Me... I love it all... Fake Care and good luck... if you try again... I suggest meet her and her son in Manila, and fly to Palawam... go see the Subterranean river, El Nido area, and do at least 1 island hop tour there... Incredible, incredible beauty, and the water... wow... can see down to the bottom of 15 feet if water...crystal clear... Like being in another world... and the subterranean river... 100% one if the 7 wonders of the world... Draw dropping...

Thank you for that and that was actually my next plan when visiting my girlfriend, to ask her to meet me in Manila, stay a couple of nights and then get on the plane to Palawan and go to El Nido and see the best the Philippines has to offer. Then I will spend some time back in Cagayan De Oro with my girl and daughter.
Yes, you are accurate in your observations. But, like Wellsfry said, the cost of living is significantly cheaper here than our home countries. I would venture to say that every foreigner that makes the decision to retire here has the personally improved economic situation as a top reason for choosing to live here. And every foreigner that relocates here, (I'm guessing at least in 95% of the cases), improves the life of at least one local Filipino, probably more.
In my own case, I could not afford my middle class lifestyle in retirement in the US. Here, I live in a gated community in a nice home with three locals. Those three have a much easier day to day existence now, with me, at least economically, than they did before I met them.
You didn't mention your economic situation in your original post, but if you want to live here and be insulated versus all the problems that you mentioned, I suggest you check out Makati near the central business district and Bonifacio Global City, (or BGC as it's known). Clean, wide streets, limited jeepneys, sidewalk urinating is aggressively prohibited, no tricycles, no chickens/roosters crowing, but a significantly more expensive place to live then the rest of the country.

If you are looking for a country other than your own to retire to because of improved economic reasons, all the places in south east asia that are cheaper have most of those same issues.

Here's what the Philippines has that most other retirement havens don't.

They are friendly and respectful with great family values.
Most like foreigners.
The majority of the population speaks at least a smattering of English, and many are fluently bi lingual.
Seniors are treated with respect and are prioritized.
Housing is substantially cheaper.
It's warm to hot year round.
So many places to explore locally and close to a ton internationally.
They are a predominantly Catholic country, which is unique in this region.

Come, stay and enhance the lives of a few locals, and you can make a personal difference to someone else, or don't come, find somewhere else that's as economically feasible to live with none of the issues you cite. (Good luck with THAT search). The choice is yours.

In my own case, I did an exploratory year stay here back in 2014 before making my final decision to retire here. Good luck
Thank you for that and that was actually my next plan when visiting my girlfriend, to ask her to meet me in Manila, stay a couple of nights and then get on the plane to Palawan and go to El Nido and see the best the Philippines has to offer. Then I will spend some time back in Cagayan De Oro with my girl and daughter.
- @Cherryann01

Also, I disagree that Palawan is the best the Philippines has to offer. I'll take Boracay over Palawan in every way. Yes, Puerta Princessa is nice, and a good vacation spot, but it's a small “city”, and the rest of the island is rural. Fine for those that enjoy a simpler life, but I crave variety and I find that on Luzon. You can get in a car and go places. I've been to Palawan, oriental Mindoro, Boracay, Cebu, metro Manila, including makati, bgc, Pasay, Quezon City, Manila proper and many others, tagaytay, batangas, the list goes on. The first place I would make a return trip? Boracay!

@onefogarty ...well.... not 3 times... but definitely alot more... I was paying about 750 - 850 before the Scamdemic from Washington State to Manila... Now, my flight in February 10th - March 8 was $1,100, and in March 28th (I had to come back for 3 weeks for business) was $1,200... I just got back here to Washington on May 29th, and booked my next flight in early August, and it is $1,400(and the days i fly are very flexible, so that was on the cheap side of the flights...So almost double! ... but I am getting very close to staying much longer each time now, so all good 👍🏻

- @Wellsfry

Are you using a certain app to buy your tickets?  Kayak is showing one way economy flights to Canada from Philippines at 3 times the prices you posted.
Agreed...but still I'd like to live life (whatevers left of it) as a hammer rather than a nail....I have learnt to ignore what's not mine or outside the perimeter of 'my' beautiful clean 500m2 home resort lifestyle...& this hammer has gained a new found sense of fffffrrrreeeedddoooommm.

Omo
1f60e.svg

@blacksheepjuno  Where did you end up retiring?  Just curious...

@onefogarty i use Google mostly... just type (your preferred city to depart) to Manila... and the dates... it will bring up prices... then go back one step, and a calendar comes up... and brings up lowest available prices for each day for all airlines..... scan the calender... pick the lowest depart and arrive day, and length of trip,.etc... and that's it...  by far better and cheaper than any app I have seen... And I shop them all to check.

@blacksheepjuno  Where did you end up retiring?  Just curious...

- @Wellsfry

I ended up retiring in Dasma, near SM dasma. Not great, but good. Enough “metro” near me for my everyday living, not to far from the metro when I need to get there, fairly short drive to tagaytay.

And I got a great deal on the home I'm renting. Owned by a cousin, but it was sitting vacant while she was paying about 15000 a month mortgage. Now we pay 6000 a month rent and we keep the place clean and do any upkeep needed. Gated community. I see your also in Dasma, lol. It's quite possible we've crossed paths before.

@onefogarty i use Google mostly... just type (your preferred city to depart) to Manila... and the dates... it will bring up prices... then go back one step, and a calendar comes up... and brings up lowest available prices for each day for all airlines..... scan the calender... pick the lowest depart and arrive day, and length of trip,.etc... and that's it...  by far better and cheaper than any app I have seen... And I shop them all to check.

- @Wellsfry
This is helpful, thank you

@blacksheepjuno Yes... I lived in Dasma for a couple years... Was my first experience with a filipina (relationship)... after a few times flying to meet her.... I found out she had a pinoy on the side... so ya... live and learn! Now I am in Dipolog, Mindanao... have an AMAZING beautiful filipina from the province, and LOVE it there.... My fuancee and I are in the process of buying a beach house 10 minutes away from a Greg Norman golf course... 👍🏻 

Tell you what... I never knew how great it could be to be with a woman that is so amazing in every way... I was married 28 years to my high school girl... and I tell you what... night and day... cheers bro!
@Cherryann01

Hello I am from cdo or we call it cagayan de oro . Sorry for what you experience here , even me too fell ashame of what filipino behavior when it comes to disciplining themselves , throwing garbage everywhere aside from that you are right .  i do appreciate your concern for that . Let's hope this is really a wake up call for us ( filipino ) , even outside they think filipinos are one of the cleanliness , but anyway it's the opposite . I know there are peoele knows how to clean their environment but some doesn't care .. This is just my opinion . ✌️

You have to realise that the Philippines is a third world country, I live near Laguindingan airport  very near to Cagayan De Oro and i find that so many things that you complain about just don't affect me out here. Forget eating rice, today for my lunch I had fettuccine carbonara and most days my wife cooks potatoes, mashed, roasted, or french fries etc. You don't have to accept what your wife/gf offers you,  you can always decline and find a restaurant that serves food that you like, if you do that once then I'm sure your wife/gf will try to cook according to your taste. As far as the bugs and ants are concerned that is just down to where you live and how much you are prepared to do to eliminate them.

- @Cherryann01
El Nido is basicly very nice, thats why it became so popular, BUT made for tourists.
There are many nice places elsewhere at Palawan, which arent disturbed by tourists   :)
@Cherryann01  I moved to the Philippines 10 months ago but I would have stayed in the States if my only option was to live in the areas you described. Where I live there is no garbage, human excrement or bad odors. The island has plenty of clean beaches, some with water that looks like drinking water. The really clean water is at pebble and sea shell beaches on the east side. Lots of improvements going on in an effort to attract tourists. I'm the only American in the area and I like it that way.
There are 13 inactive volcanoes on the island with clean water forming waterfalls. One waterfall just up the road is in the Guinness book for the world's sweetest water. It is also unique in that it spills almost directly into the ocean so you can swim in the ocean then go rinse off under waterfall, it is like a massage. People drink the water and take it home in jugs. Another nearby falls is known for the cold water and it is a bit chilly but feels great on a hot day.  We are usually the only ones there when we visit that falls. A rock slide took out a section of the walkway so it's a little tricky getting there, but we have it figured out.

As far as the noise goes, I grew up on a West Virginia farm so the crowing roosters were easy for me to get used to. My house is fairly sound proof with 8" thick masonry walls and I only have a neighbor on one side and she is very quiet. The Philippines is a noisy place so keep that in mind.

I don't mind eating a little rice but we have a cook and she knows to cook plenty of fresh veggies for lunch. Your diet is up to you, if you don't like eating fish and rice, don't eat fish and rice. We have plenty of markets where I buy fresh fruits and vegetables. I eat some fish if it is not fried or salted but mostly chicken. Lots of rotisserie chicken here that is as cheap as raw chicken and tastes good, or we grill it ourselves. Her folks eat pork and they have high blood. I eat very little pork.

We don't have a mosquito problem but ants are a nuisance and some have painful bites, but not as bad as the fire ants I dealt with where I lived in Georgia. For ants in the house I use Green Leaf powder ant killing bait I ordered on Lazada. Sprinkle a little in their path and no more ants. Speaking of Georgia, I lived below the “gnat line”. People passing though think it's a very friendly place because everyone is waving, but they are actually swatting away gnat swarms that are trying to get in their ears. Thankfully there is none of that here.

If you have reservations about living here you should proceed with caution, it's not for everyone. Spend some time here and don't burn any bridges. Scout around for something more suitable. I began preparing for my move 9 years ago.

Thank you to everybody for their advice and useful tips, it is much appreciated. I guess the main thing here is that I have a beautiful loving woman and young daughter and that they love me and appreciate me for who I am even if my girlfriend did comment that I was the most sensitive person she had ever met. I have had no problems with family members pressuring me for money or anything like that, I just send me girlfriend some money via Western Union every couple of months for our daughters needs.

I am not looking to rush into anything here but I do know I want to be with my girlfriend and daughter one day in a few years time and maybe she will consider relocating to another part of the Philippines. I can only ask but for now I am happy visiting and since I managed to persuade her to take a flight with me to spend 3 nights in Mactan/Cebu, I am hopping that we can explore some other places in the Philippines to give me a little better idea of where may be a suitable place to settle down. I would like to see Palawan, Dumaguete, Boracay and maybe the Subic Bay area to name a few.

For now though I am just planning to go back and see my girlfriend and daughter again when I can and maybe next time or the time after, take my 19 year old English daughter with me to meet them.

With regard to eating rice daily, because we stayed in a condo (One Oasis), we ate out nearly every night but did visit the supermarket where we were able to purchase food for breakfast and other essentials. For breakfast I was mostly eating bacon, eggs, hash browns or fried bread and we did also purchase jam and some cereals and fruit. I pretty much like all kinds of meet, chicken, pork, beef, lamb, duck, venison, etc and also enjoy eating fish although at one restaurant we went to I had a fish they called Lapu Lapu and I even commented to the waitress that the fish must have been on a diet, has there was very little flesh on it to eat. I am not into eating any sea food that looks like it has come from your nose though so nothing that looks like snot.

Regarding the ants and other creepy crawlies, I guess I will just have to take the advise offered and get some products to stop them or kill them. Regarding the dirt and litter, this maybe harder for me to overcome but I will persist in visiting the Philippines and like I said earlier, I  have the best reason possible to try overcome these issues, a beautiful loving girlfriend and beautiful young daughter,

One bonus about visiting the Philippines for me is that there are so many other places of interest nearby and I like to explore and see different places so so far I have visited the Philippines 5 times and on 2 occasions I stopped off for a few nights in Seoul and HCMC respectively and there are many other places I would like to see such as Hanoi, Kuala Lumpa and Taipei to name just 3.
@Cherryann01 Hope you find the balance you're seeking. Seems you're taking the time to weigh-up what's best.

I've been to CDO and had a cell phone pickpocketed in a Jeepney etc (my stupid fault) and certainly understand the comments about the impoverished conditions. Once upon a time the roosters kept me awake too.

The Philippines grows on you, and now it's where I am happiest. The people have so much vibrance and resilience, and so am I'm energised when I'm there. My place in Scotland is orderly, picturesque and clean, but walking down the neighborhood streets feels deserted, and it's like everyone stuck inside on the internet.

By contrast,  every street in the Philippines is alive - filled with kids, roosters, malnourished dogs and you can feel the activity, with people bathing, doing laundry, cooking BBQ, fixing tricycles...going about their lives.

Twenty years after meeting an "Island Princess" (she is amazing)  I'm now used to what might be called The Third World, but it's so rich in other ways. Especially if you are blessed to have a project and good in-laws like me.

If you do decide to stay, there are some stunning places outside of the cities, with resources enough to meet your Western needs, if you search. There's plenty of quirky expats to chat to in the bars (I'm one), and you'll feel and act 20 years younger than your peers in the UK.

Also, demographically Philippines has a big future. Most Western countries have aging populations, but the average age in the Philippines is 26 years old, with high English literacy,  and universities pumping out graduates, so economically the future is bright. The OFW's are returning pushing for a better quality of life.  It's a good place to buy land and invest, if you're that way inclined.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Best of luck.

@gsturdee Good read... I plan to visit CDO next time I come(August)... Getting some work done here in Washington (State).  I heard there is a "costco" there?  Or something very similar to one... so I plan to make the 8 hour drive soon after returning... Can't wait... been here only 1 week in Washington and miss my girl, and everything else terribly... plan to stay 3 months this next go around to move into our beach home we are purchasing... anyways... cheers... would love to stop and have a beer with you when we arrive to CDO...

@gsturdee Thank you for the advice, much appreciated. I would be very interested to know where your place is in Scotland. During my younger years I served in the Royal Air Force and was stationed at Lossiemouth on the East coast for the whole of 1981 and from 1985 to 1989.

Loved the place and have many fond memories of my time there.

@Cherryann01 Welcome. It's a pretty town called Kelso on The Borders, about an hours drive from Edinburgh.

@Wellsfry Cheers ! Our place is Bantayan Island north of Cebu. There's a sandy beach and some boutique resorts, and you'd be most welcome. I'm back there 6th July.

@gsturdee I have been to Kelso. Me and five friends once booked a passport to the courses, (golf) break up that way where we spent 4 nights in the Borders and played 2 rounds of golf each day. I remember playing golf at Kelso and Lauder to name 2. I think out of bounds at one of the holes at Kelso was behind one of the horse racing fences since the racing course was right next to the golf course.

Good times
@Cherryann01 Hi mate, this is what you get in the third world countries. People are poor here some are homeless. Some don't have work. At the same time Covid-19 made is worse.
Go Any where in Asia you will find this. I have lived here for almost 4 years. I feel sorry for the people here, I understand them and why they have to live like this. People coming from rich countries wouldn't know what poverty is. There are lots places you can go to or settle down but pricey. Try Clark if you can afford, it is very very clean city.
Cherryanno1. . .it takes some time for a Westerner to adjust to the Philippine. You have two choices (1) Go with the flow or (2) You can pick your neighbors and community on how much you pay for rent or mortgage.

The more you pay, the better the results.

@gsturdee Small world, I was born and grew up in Edinburgh, live in California and now exploring a move to the Philippines. Nice to see such a wide range of people here 🙂

@Enzyte Bob I know, obviously, that you can't recreate the standard of living in a 3rd world country that you would have in a 1st world one. But I'm guessing that if finances were not a problem, you can pretty much buy the same (or most) goods/products you can get in the west?

@Parvaze

Yes, this is very much true. You can find the 'South Asian equivalent' to many of your needs for just about anything.

However,  that being said, if you an adamant customer to a certain North American brand of  something, be prepared to pay a little more for them as they are considered imported goods.  Even a bag of Doritos or Lays costs a little more than they normally would if you do some quick mental math. the cost at retail is a few dollars more than if you were just to buy them anywhere in North America.

@kristopherryanwatson Thanks for the response. I know using a VPN and an Amazon firestick you can watch US channels like HBO, Netflix etc and if all/most western foods/goods are available (even if a few bucks more) said like you can create a pretty decent life there

@Parvaze

Yes, you're correct and you're welcome.

Life can be beautiful here if you can keep it simple and keep your expenses in mind. however, you can really stretch your Peso, especially so if you're a retired gentleman and are expecting your monthly severance from your US pension or other Investments.

on a side note, i use a VPN app on my phone connected to my Playstation 4 for the Netflix, HBO, and Disney+ Apps. Works like a sure charm!

@kristopherryanwatson Thanks for the VPN confirmation. I'll be ok financially so not too worried about having to stretch dollars. Looking to get out of the western rat race find a decent partner and life as stress free live based on Asia so Philippines seems like the place to be. Will be making my first trip there next month.

@Parvaze

Yes, this is very much true. You can find the 'South Asian equivalent' to many of your needs for just about anything.

However,  that being said, if you an adamant customer to a certain North American brand of  something, be prepared to pay a little more for them as they are considered imported goods.  Even a bag of Doritos or Lays costs a little more than they normally would if you do some quick mental math. the cost at retail is a few dollars more than if you were just to buy them anywhere in North America.
- @kristopherryanwatson

This is not aimed  at anyone. . . Just what one Expat pays or wishes for.

Pay $20 for a name brand US coffee or $20 for a pound of Driscoll 's Strawberries. No amount of money will buy you  Vidalia Onions (sweet onions) or Beefsteak Tomatoes. No sliced cold cuts from a deli like Angus Roast Beef, Black Forrest Ham, Smoked Turkey Breasts, Corned Beef or Pastrami Brisket.  Hmmm how about New York  style rye bagel oozing with cream cheese.

No Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Panera, Walmart, Sam's Club or Costco around the corner. But poor Imitations like S&R or Lander's trying to be a Sam's Club/Costco.

Missing are: In and Out Burgers, Five Guys Burgers, Fat Burgers, Carl's Junior, White Castles, Chick-fil-A, Shake Shack, Sonic, Boston Market, Dairy Queen, Wingstop, Jersey Mike's and Raising Cane's.
@Parvaze

A great choice. I am sure you'll find a very honorable and dignified woman to suit your tastes and preferences. There is no shortage of them, that is for sure.

Good luck on this journey of yours next month.  do you have any idea as to where you'll be wanting to live ? 

@kristopherryanwatson I'm looking into Subic/Clark mainly with Davao/Cebu as potential other choices. I'm looking forward to seeing things for myself 🙂

@Enzyte Bob I'm not much into fast foods so no worries there. Would miss my Costco and Trader Joe's fixes through 😁

I am not looking to rush into anything here but I do know I want to be with my girlfriend and daughter one day in a few years time and maybe she will consider relocating to another part of the Philippines.
- @Cherryann01

If she dont want to move to an other island, you can perhaps find a compromise both like. There are several nice places in rural parts around CDO e g (north part) of Bukidnon and hills towards Gingoog.  I were close to decide to settle there many years ago. (But later I noticed Palawan is better   :)
Higher altitude is less hot too.   

@Enzyte Bob I'm not much into fast foods so no worries there. Would miss my Costco and Trader Joe's fixes through 😁

- @Parvaze
I'm not advocate of fast food, but when in the states when the mood arrives you have these places at your fingertips. But, thinking American products are a little more expensive (not you post but another on this thread) is a misnomer. Not only quite a bit more but also the lack of choice/availability not available in the Philippines.

Dining out or home your choice is limited, but in the states a choice for every whim is possible.