Covid Test For Flight To USA

I may have a situation with my return to the US.  The US requires a Covid test within one day of your flight, but my flight leaves at 11:25 pm from Tan Son Nhat, so that may be a problem.  Since the test sites I looked into return the results the next day, I would have to take the test the day previous to my flight, but the test sites aren't open at night, so the test would be taken more than 24 hours before my flight.   If the US is exact about the requirement, I would not be in compliance.  Does anyone know if the US means within 24 hours?

From the CDC web site: "...required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel..."
Look for a place that does same day testing. We did our test at 8 am and received the results at 4 pm.

@colinoscapee -- That would work.  I'll check -- there is a Family Medical Practice in Thao Dien, where I am staying.  They are expensive, but I will check with them tomorrow and see if they can give same-day results. 

@colinoscapee -- That would work.  I'll check -- there is a Family Medical Practice in Thao Dien, where I am staying.  They are expensive, but I will check with them tomorrow and see if they can give same-day results. 

- @paulmsn

This is the place that I used in March when I came back to the US.  They basically process tests every eight hours (you can get swabbed 24 hours there) so they will give you a time range to arrive to get you results when you need them.

Just walk in.  No appointment neccessary.  Go in the main door, pay, then go outside to one of the shipping container offices out front and wait a minute or two and they will come out and swab you.  Very fast for everything.
The US requires a Covid test within one day of your flight, but my flight leaves at 11:25 pm from Tan Son Nhat, so that may be a problem.  Since the test sites I looked into return the results the next day, I would have to take the test the day previous to my flight, but the test sites aren't open at night, so the test would be taken more than 24 hours before my flight.   If the US is exact about the requirement, I would not be in compliance.  Does anyone know if the US means within 24 hours?
- @paulmsn
No, it means within one calendar day

That's been the policy of the CDC since it was possible to have a standard test within 3 calendar days of departure (what I experienced when I flew back to the USA in June 2021).

So, on the calendar day before your flight, you can test as early as 00:01 AM (if available) and get the results later that day or the next morning, on the day of your flight.

Good luck and safe travels!

O.B.

P.S. I'm asking ADMIN to move this off-topic subject and replies into a new thread.

Everyone should feel encouraged to start a new thread whenever necessary.
The US requires a Covid test within one day of your flight, but my flight leaves at 11:25 pm from Tan Son Nhat, so that may be a problem.  Since the test sites I looked into return the results the next day, I would have to take the test the day previous to my flight, but the test sites aren't open at night, so the test would be taken more than 24 hours before my flight.   If the US is exact about the requirement, I would not be in compliance.  Does anyone know if the US means within 24 hours?
- @paulmsn
No, it means within one calendar day

That's been the policy of the CDC since it was possible to have a standard test within 3 calendar days of departure (what I experienced when I flew back to the USA in June 2021).

So, on the calendar day before your flight, you can test as early as 00:01 AM (if available) and get the results later that day or the next morning, on the day of your flight.

Good luck and safe travels!

O.B.

P.S. I'm asking ADMIN to move this off-topic subject and replies into a new thread.

Everyone should feel encouraged to start a new thread whenever necessary.
- @OceanBeach92107

"Today's announcement means that beginning December 6, all air travelers, regardless of citizenship or vaccination status, will be to be required to show a negative pre-departure COVID-19 viral test taken the day before they board their flight to the United States. For example, a passenger whose flight to the United States is at any time on a Sunday would need to have a negative test taken at any time on Saturday."

It doesn't make sense to me, but reading that passage literally seems to indicate that you cannot test on the day of departure.
I could go to a cheaper place, then, and get the test done the day before, but I am close to the Family Medical Practice in Thao Dien and for 2.5 million they can give you results by 1 pm if you come before 6 am, or by 7 pm if you come at 8 am, both of which work for me.  I'm only a cheapskate some of the time.
Hello everyone,

@paulmsn, please note that I have created a new thread with your post. 1f60a.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team
@paulmsn

Not sure if you have  a Vinmec Hospital near you, but they do PCR for 550K, in before 8:00 AM, results by 1:00 PM.

My friend did his this morning here in Phu Quoc, at an outlet call S.O.S. Clinic. 740K, in before 11:00 AM, results by 7:00 PM.
Vinmec was a little far away, so he didn't mind the extra 190K.

This CDC webpage (link) has exhaustive information covering virtually any pertinent question one might think of asking

@paulmsn

Not sure if you have  a Vinmec Hospital near you, but they do PCR for 550K, in before 8:00 AM, results by 1:00 PM.

My friend did his this morning here in Phu Quoc, at an outlet call S.O.S. Clinic. 740K, in before 11:00 AM, results by 7:00 PM.
- @Aidan in HCMC

There is a Vinmec in Vinhomes Central Park, 7 minutes away, so I went there around 11 am.  They send you to the emergency department, so I had to wait for other patients, but it took only a little over 1/2 hour and cost 512.000 dong for the PCR test.  Thanks a lot for saving me money.  I pick up the results tomorrow between 8-10 am.
@paulmsn

- @Aidan in HCMC

There is a Vinmec in Vinhomes Central Park, 7 minutes away, so I went there around 11 am.  They send you to the emergency department, so I had to wait for other patients, but it took only a little over 1/2 hour and cost 512.000 dong for the PCR test.  Thanks a lot for saving me money.  I pick up the results tomorrow between 8-10 am.
- @paulmsn

When I came just after 8 am to pick up the results, I was made to wait over 15 minutes, and I started worrying that maybe I had a positive result, but it was negative.  I think they just weren't quite ready 5 minutes after 8.  I leave late tonight.
Testing – ALL Travelers to USA
   REQUIRED
Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel. There is also an option for people who have documented recovery from COVID-19 in the past 90 days.
Children under 2 years old do not need to test.
All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

The actual CDC Amended order says "Specimen taken No more that one calendar day before the flights departure."

This does not agree with some of the information that has been posted here recently. Read the actual CDC order and pay attention to the wording. Also check with your airline concerning the time of the testing that they will accept.
I am heading back to USA on the 13th of June to take care of some business. My flight leaves at 1955 so I will do my test the morning of the 13th.
Hot off the presses, the COVID test requirement has been lifted for all travellers to the US as of what I compute to be 11:01AM Sunday in Vietnam.

Two links in case of firewalling.
Hot off the presses, the COVID test requirement has been lifted for all travellers to the US as of what I compute to be 11:01AM Sunday in Vietnam.

- @THIGV
Thanks for sharing that!

Here is the New York Times link without paywall (using the subscriber "gift link" tool).
Thanks for sharing that!

Here is the New York Times link without paywall (using the subscriber "gift link" tool).
- @OceanBeach92107

I had never noticed that gift tool and had always just relied on the fact that the Times does give 10 free reads.  Thanks 1f44d.svg
Thanks for sharing that!

- @OceanBeach92107

I had never noticed that gift tool and had always just relied on the fact that the Times does give 10 free reads.  Thanks 1f44d.svg
- @THIGV
Không có gì, Anh 😎

You can give up to ten gift links per month.

The share link they provide is always incredibly long, so I copy it and then shorten it with Bit.ly before sharing.

- @THIGV

I'm flying out at 1955  on Monday. Qatar airlines is always anal about these type of changes so I will do my pre departure test early Monday morning. Unless I see on their website that I don't need.

Hot off the presses, the COVID test requirement has been lifted for all travellers to the US as of what I compute to be 11:01AM Sunday in Vietnam...
- @THIGV
One small correction:

This doesn't apply to ALL travelers.

Non-immigrant foreigners (tourists?) are still required to be tested according to an email just received from the US Embassy in Hanoi:

"CDC's order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect."
@paulmsn

No more covid test requirement to enter into The States now, but we should show vaccines certificate (2 shots minimum).
@paulmsn

No more covid test requirement to enter into The States now, but we should show vaccines certificate (2 shots minimum).
- @petiteriviere77
Not for US citizens.

Only for noncitizen, non-immigrant individuals (tourists)

@paulmsn

- @petiteriviere77
Not for US citizens.

Only for noncitizen, non-immigrant individuals (tourists)

- @OceanBeach92107

No COVID testing for any person entering the United States:

On June 10, 2022, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) within the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) rescinded the Order titled “Requirement for Negative Pre-Departure COVID-19 Test Result or Documentation of Recovery from COVID-19 for All Airline or Other Aircraft Passengers Arriving in the United States from any Foreign Country.”
This rescission takes effect for flights departing to the United States from a foreign country at or after 12:01am ET (4:01am GMT) on June 12, 2022, and will be published in the Federal Register.
This means that as of 12:01AM ET on June 12, 2022, all air passengers, regardless of citizenship or vaccination status, are no longer required to show a negative viral COVID-19 test result, or documentation of recovery from COVID-19, before boarding a flight to the U.S.
Under CDC's Amended Order: Implementing Presidential Proclamation on Safe Resumption of Global Travel During the COVID-19 Pandemic,★ noncitizen nonimmigrants are still required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 before boarding a flight to the United States★
I called Qatar Airlines about testing due to the CDC change. They said they only enforce the destination country rules.
I didn't test being the 12th had passed and nothing was mentioned during check in.
It really surprised me that they didn't ask for my vaccination card during check in either.
@pogiwayne

No one asked for my vaccination info when I left on 08 June.  I had to show my Covid test info at JAL check-in in Tan Son Nhat and they told me that I would have to show the info again in Tokyo, but no one asked for anything there.  My only problems were flight delays on both JAL flights, which caused me to have to rush from Terminal 5 at ORD to Terminal 3, but I made it on time for my flight to Phoenix.  Sweaty and out of breath, but on time.

Its been all over the news as well!!

Its been all over the news as well!!
- @SimCityAT
Uh, yeah....😉

As far as I know, USA has lifted ALL Covid testing requirements for inbound passengers.
Happened just recently.
As far as I know, USA has lifted ALL Covid testing requirements for inbound passengers.
Happened just recently.
- @lifeisgoodok
That's a coincidence.

It was already posted in this thread just recently.

Thanks for being willing to communicate to the forum though.

Cheers!

O.B.
Just checked for my flight next Monday because we are going through Japan.  Japan still has covid test requirements when arriving there but they are waived if you are transiting through and don't leave the international terminal.
Just checked for my flight next Monday because we are going through Japan.  Japan still has covid test requirements when arriving there but they are waived if you are transiting through and don't leave the international terminal.
- @SteinNebraska
If you have to switch airports, then I understand they do
- @SteinNebraska
If you have to switch airports, then I understand they do
- @OceanBeach92107

Of course it makes sense if you are leaving the airport.  I have only done that once and it was by mistake that I booked it .  I had a four hour layover and almost didn't make it.  Pick up the bags, go through immigration, leave Narita airport, take hour bus ride to Hedena, go through airport check-in again and rush to gate.  Never again.