Coming back to Hungary??

As the readers know I went to Turkey for a number of reasons, cost of living being one of them. I posted a few items on cost and subsidies (which frustrates me quite a bit, my wife and me were/are expats and we had our own company, contributing to Hungary economy, not a cent of support, however real Hungarian retirees, or couples with children get massive financial supports (somebody has to pay)

Last August (after a good offer) we decided to sell our property and move. No mistake, in general I love Hungarian people, but finance is also important, you can pay through taxes, but also inflation, in Turkey inflation does not bother me too much (a litlle) as it in general is not paid by subsidies (on bread and tea admittedly). But no massive subsidies for non-expats (ie Turkish people).

I love (and loved) Hungary, BUT, and I think in timing to move was right, perhaps in 5 years when western Europe is shatters I come back, I do not know.

As usual not very structured, but please read between the  (not so many ) lines.

Good luck for you in the coming years, I expect some interesting (tax) increases (also for retirees).If you are relatively rich some increased taxes to be expected (land, house, ..)

In Hungary property prices went up over the last 6 months, but I can tell you in Turkey even more so (so I am lucky again) (allowing for me to return (possibly). Taxes of course is an issue, so you have to wait for a few more years (if nothing changes)

@cdw057 Mentioned before, long, long holiday.

In Hungary property prices went up over the last 6 months, but I can tell you in Turkey even more so (so I am lucky again) (allowing for me to return (possibly). Taxes of course is an issue, so you have to wait for a few more years (if nothing changes)
- @cdw057

House prices in the Balaton area (Tihany) have doubled in the last 2 years.   House price inflation will have pushed many people out of the market and could make a return here unaffordable.  Balaton is also becoming over developed. 

Couple of  years ago, we tried to increase the insurance on our house and they said we'd reached the area limit.  We should revisit it if house price inflation has reached high levels.

When the kids have left the nest, we should probably downsize, possibly live somewhere else warmer during the winter and only live here in the summer.

Economics here aren't going to work long term. I cannot see other richer EU countries will want to continue to subsidise Hungary when it's being run by an aspiring autocrat..   There's a growing feeling that Hungary is incompatible with EU values.  Maybe by next election, HUexit will be on the cards. 
As the readers know I went to Turkey for a number of reasons, cost of living being one of them. I posted a few items on cost and subsidies (which frustrates me quite a bit, my wife and me were/are expats and we had our own company, contributing to Hungary economy, not a cent of support, however real Hungarian retirees, or couples with children get massive financial supports (somebody has to pay)

Last August (after a good offer) we decided to sell our property and move. No mistake, in general I love Hungarian people, but finance is also important, you can pay through taxes, but also inflation, in Turkey inflation does not bother me too much (a litlle) as it in general is not paid by subsidies (on bread and tea admittedly). But no massive subsidies for non-expats (ie Turkish people).

I love (and loved) Hungary, BUT, and I think in timing to move was right, perhaps in 5 years when western Europe is shatters I come back, I do not know.

As usual not very structured, but please read between the  (not so many ) lines.

Good luck for you in the coming years, I expect some interesting (tax) increases (also for retirees).If you are relatively rich some increased taxes to be expected (land, house, ..)

- @cdw057

I really don't see why anyone would think Hungary owes them anything.

It seems well enough that they are an affordable place to live and overall except ex-pats without much discrimination.

Why would anyone expect any gov. to subsides their lifestyle?

Guess it's all how one was raised .

I know my mother was 100% entitled for gov. child support, housing help, food help and free medical help when she found herself alone rainsing 4 children with no support other then what she made by working a night shift in a factory.

It was a thing called," pride" and self determination.

How can one tell their children they are just as good as anyone else if they are living on handouts?

My mother paid taxes on  her income and supported lesser people who would take a handout with her taxes.

One of the last things she made sure of before dying was to pay off all her debts. She could of legally died without paying them and none of her children would had to have paid them off. Just not her style to  not do the right thing. She paid off 10's of thousands of dollars which she could of just given to her children instead of a bank.

She died not owing the world a thing, in peace.

My Hungarian born and raised husband worked from age 14 in trade school up until he left hUngary at age 23 by working 10 to 12 hour days with a half day on Saturday.

He doesn't collect a dime in retirement money here in Hungary because he feel short of the 15 years needed to collect.

I never hear him complain about it, if he needs money he knows how to work.

I wouldn't bother coming back to Hungary if you think they owe you something.

It seems well enough that they are an affordable place to live and overall except ex-pats without much discrimination.

I know my mother was 100% entitled for gov. child support, housing help, food help and free medical help when she found herself alone rainsing 4 children with no support other then what she made by working a night shift in a factory.

How can one tell their children they are just as good as anyone else if they are living on handouts?

I wouldn't call them handouts as that's very emotive. I'd call them entitlements, incentives, grants, refunds and discounts. 

No-one anywhere complains about getting a tax refund so what's the difference in taking the cash if offered in another way.   Governments provide cash all the time to encourage economic developments and most importantly to buy votes.    That's what happens with taxes - they mostly get redistributed for the benefit of the population and country.

Your Mum should have claimed everything that the family was entitled to!   That's what it's there for.  To help people.

No-one is coming to Hungary to get free things. The incentives are better elsewhere - Sweden, Netherlands, UK, Germany all have better social programmes than here.

I wouldn't call them handouts as that's very emotive. I'd call them entitlements, incentives, grants, refunds and discounts. 

No-one anywhere complains about getting a tax refund so what's the difference in taking the cash if offered in another way.   Governments provide cash all the time to encourage economic developments and most importantly to buy votes.    That's what happens with taxes - they mostly get redistributed for the benefit of the population and country.

Your Mum should have claimed everything that the family was entitled to!   That's what it's there for.  To help people.

No-one is coming to Hungary to get free things. The incentives are better elsewhere - Sweden, Netherlands, UK, Germany all have better social programmes than here.
- @fluffy2560

I know , my mm was very prideful and didnt want anyone to know we were on hard times.

She learned to stand for herself at a young age and never wanted people to look down on her .

She was raised in a very poor community by her native American granny and didn't want the live the sterotype lifestyle that society  said was the rule for minorities.

She woorked from age 14 but did homework like washing clothing by hand from age 10 on. Her mother was very ill so mom had to take on the role of homemaker then worker.

In the 1960's the gv also was in yur business if you recieved any aid from them. My mm was all about persnal freedom and never wanted the gov. in her house.

I'm actually proud of having such a mother with high standards.

She said it was a shame on a person to take if they were able to care for themselves. Only thse really in need should be helped.

Old fashined values, we really could use them again,so many freeloaders these days.
@Marilyn Tassy My frustration is and was that I had my company in Hungary (working for Luxembourg largely) in the Corona times it was for me not possible to travel at all to Luxembourg. It was said that companies were hit by Corona would be supported. I had my Kft, I paid lots of taxes, but no support whatsoever, even if I could prove that Corona hit my company (even more then Hotels or Restaurants). I do not expect anything from Hungary (apart from pension me and my wife contributed (for 7 years) to (but lets see).

I have never in my life asked for un-employment benefits and I took care of myself, but these hand-outs to retirees, big famlies, small companies (not me) are costing a lot, somebody has to pay and inflation is a nasty side effect. (Hence my decision to leave to a more affordable place).

Nothing to complain for me though, I have had a good life and a good time in Hungary.

I know , my mm was very prideful and didnt want anyone to know we were on hard times.

She learned to stand for herself at a young age and never wanted people to look down on her .

She was raised in a very poor community by her native American granny and didn't want the live the sterotype lifestyle that society  said was the rule for minorities.

She woorked from age 14 but did homework like washing clothing by hand from age 10 on. Her mother was very ill so mom had to take on the role of homemaker then worker.

In the 1960's the gv also was in yur business if you recieved any aid from them. My mm was all about persnal freedom and never wanted the gov. in her house.

I'm actually proud of having such a mother with high standards.

She said it was a shame on a person to take if they were able to care for themselves. Only thse really in need should be helped.

Old fashined values, we really could use them again,so many freeloaders these days.
- @Marilyn Tassy

I can understand no-one wants the government pestering or noticing them.   

But they do it anyway and we let them - issuing driving licenses, paying property taxes, paying income taxes, checking on your construction blah-blah.

I don't see why - if it was some free money on offer - one wouldn't take it?   

I've got no qualms about claiming for anything I can.  It's an entitlement. Paid plenty over, want some back!   

I was infuriated by that scheme that someone had to have like 4 kids so the mother didn't have to pay tax.  WTF?   Like a mother with 4 kids would have plenty of time for working.  And what about those blessed with 2 or 3 kids? Don't they deserve the same kind of break?   Anyway, it hasn't worked, there aren't more kids replacing the population fall.   What a waste of time! 

People are even less likely to have multiple kids with economic recession around the corner, the war in Ukraine, impending food shortages, oil price and general cost of living.
- @fluffy2560

Even Austria, thats why so many Hungarians work over here.
Not really linked to Hungary, but in my experience if doing good (or too much pays off). At the start of my career I worked very very hard and I think i gave some value, but I never asked for anything, still some good people exist (a head of totally different department said at one stage that I should get a company car, if not I resign (I can still cry for the action). On the other side (for another company) I was up for the annual salary review, the boss says, you can get this or that, I said, apologies, but my current salary is already higher, he said sorry, but got me 10% extra, rules, rules, rules. Still a shame, people are not always getting what they should is the conclusion.

I am not a racist at all (I know many black/Asian people and I think in general they like me). However some clever people have gone to Luxembourg and having a few children will set you for life, perhaps good, perhaps not, but getting rich because of that?? (support yes, but as income?)

Please have a look at Lux websites.

No doubt about it, Luxembourg is a good country to live, but they are just TOO rich.

Sorry to be off topic (a bit)

@SimCityAT I am not a millionaire, far from it I am sad to say, but I am a bit proud to say that I can fend for myself (a bit), I have saved during my life, but how do I get to the Netherlands? Heavily taxed, living taxes, ... cigarettes (sorry) are very expensive (really a shame government does not appreciate no draws on their funds). Right now I am (for the Netherlands) the perfect citizen, I die somewhere abroad, I will not use healthcare system and government and company pensions will go to to other people.

- @fluffy2560

Even Austria, thats why so many Hungarians work over here.
- @SimCityAT

Yes, there too. 

There's a salary survey on Euronews.   Salary for say, web page designer in the UK is just over 3 x that here in Hungary.   I didn't look for Austria.

It's a no brainer that people will leave for greener pastures and opportunity.
Not really linked to Hungary, but in my experience if doing good (or too much pays off). At the start of my career I worked very very hard and I think i gave some value, but I never asked for anything, still some good people exist (a head of totally different department said at one stage that I should get a company car, if not I resign (I can still cry for the action). On the other side (for another company) I was up for the annual salary review, the boss says, you can get this or that, I said, apologies, but my current salary is already higher, he said sorry, but got me 10% extra, rules, rules, rules. Still a shame, people are not always getting what they should is the conclusion.

I am not a racist at all (I know many black/Asian people and I think in general they like me). However some clever people have gone to Luxembourg and having a few children will set you for life, perhaps good, perhaps not, but getting rich because of that?? (support yes, but as income?)

Please have a look at Lux websites.

No doubt about it, Luxembourg is a good country to live, but they are just TOO rich.

Sorry to be off topic (a bit)
- @cdw057
Never heard anyone complain about being paid too much :)

Entitlements are indeed support, not income. No-one will get rich that way.    It's the safety net most people never use which of course social funds rely on - everyone pays in but fewer collect.  We call it social insurance to lessen the view it's another tax  for redistribution.   

There will almost certainly be  different attitude between Europe and the USA on this - perhaps in Europe we generally think of (normal) government as helping us and benign  but in the USA, it's interfering.  Something like that.
As a US citizen retired with a rather low SS income for myslef, I'd be milking the system if I was in the US.

If not for my husband I'd be in a bread line!

Why not? I worked in my lifetime but on and off, mostly off. In the states they don't count being a homemaker as a job but as a luxury.

I am saving the US gov. tons of money every year I am away.

I was a bit ill awhile back and for sure I would of done them in for well over $60,000 plus last year alone if I was home. Perhaps even more with a 5 day hospital stay. I know my husband was in the hospital just for some tests a few years back in the states, his few tests and a bed ran us up $32,000.

Such a scam over there with those high bills for nada.

Hungry treated me and probably saved my life.I have a hard time saying anything bad about how they spend their money. They spent some on me and I am forever grateful.

Even so I don't think the Hungarian will get too far with a gov. handout of 10 million for having children.That's not enough to pay for a child from 0 to 18 years old.

That's hardly enough to get them to age 2.

Back when my mother could of gotten aid it was different. If you wnated help the social services would just show up at your home whenever they wished and quizz even your neighbors about your habits ect.

Now days it's easy to be a slacker and ask for help, they don't have enough social workers to keep up with the demand.
You really do need to know how to play and work the system. Austria has been very good to me, I haven't played the system if I had I am sure I would have been able to get more out of them. But being unable to work and being on the sick, I actually get more money than what I would have got in the UK. Due to the COVID situation, I have been given at least an extra €1000 payments in dribs and drabs.

I have had to pay for my own meds (pain killers) I am sure if I wanted to I could argue with them and get them for free. But as we own our own house and have no rent to pay we are somewhat comfortable compared to someone that would have to pay rent.
@SimCityAT Playing the system is important, I am not rich, but I know a bit of taxes and I moved around a bit. Getting refunds from various sources.

In Turkey I am a bit concerned about health and I do not have loop holes, but in the past using things what helped in keeping salary.

A historic few examples (Also for Hungary)

-I moved from Netherlands to the UK and I got a bonus, tax authorities taxes it for income and health fully, however in the bonus clause it was stated I can only get it if I were to be employed by the compamu next yesar, I argued therefore this is a retention payment and not bonus. EUR 7.500 net

-Most countries have the 180 rule for taxes (inside and outside EU, but in EU it is easy) . This can be found everywhere, but you have to ask. All depending on official address and when you want to move, moving from Netherlands to the UK, to Luxembourg, to Hungary. EUR 50 K net. IMPORTANT time your move (especially officially)

-At the time (not now) when I moved to the UK there was the rule that if you spend/worked in other countries you do not have to pay income taxes for the UK (I made as many business trips to France, Luxembourg, Germany as much as I could (in all countries ensuring allocated income is low (below minimum bracket). I Worked in the UK for 2.5 years, but these trips got me I think around EUR 60 K extra net  as well (my wife was not too happy, but cash is cash)

-In Hungary I had my own company, firstly (I still do not know why), selling a car to a company gets you a BIG, BIG rebate. The depreciation (admittedly VAt NOT included) can be offeset against the company. (Essentially using a car was almost for free (I sold it for EUR 10 K after 7 years and the value was zero (of course I have to pay taxes on the profit, but that is fine).

-Turkey, I will not comment, but in general people (including me) are paying less then they are supposed to, honestly I prefer to pay more, but that is Turkey

-One more on Hungary, health tax is supposed to be HUF 8 K or so pm, however if you employ you spouse in your company part time, HUF 2 K pm is fine (big gap in my view, but we used)
I was a bit ill awhile back and for sure I would of done them in for well over $60,000 plus last year alone if I was home. Perhaps even more with a 5 day hospital stay. I know my husband was in the hospital just for some tests a few years back in the states, his few tests and a bed ran us up $32,000.

...- @Marilyn Tassy

Those bills are outrageous.

US is the only developed country without a universal health care system.

It's very difficult to see why it ended up like that and how twisted it is.

...- @Marilyn Tassy

- @fluffy2560

Yes, I was only rounding up my estimate of $60,000. If I paid for 5 days in hospital I should add at least another $50,000 plus to the bill!

My bro is taking his insurnace c. to the cleaners, sadly.

He has had 2 special treatments that each cost over $ 100,000 as an outpatient!

They entire system in the US is so messed up it boggles the mind.

...- @Marilyn Tassy

- @fluffy2560

Yes, I was only rounding up my estimate of $60,000. If I paid for 5 days in hospital I should add at least another $50,000 plus to the bill!

My bro is taking his insurnace c. to the cleaners, sadly.

He has had 2 special treatments that each cost over $ 100,000 as an outpatient!

They entire system in the US is so messed up it boggles the mind.
- @Marilyn Tassy

It's just ludicrous.   

A while back, the UK NHS paid £1.2M for a drug to save a kid's life from a crippling genetic disease.  Kid looks completely cured now. Absolute miracle of modern medicine.

I cannot see that happening over there. 

In other words, don't get old and don't get sick in the USA.
My bro is lucky he has top notch health insurnace but he still had to wait a month to get approved because of the cost.

If one has terrible insurance they probably wouldn't get approved.

My hospital issue could of been avoided if they had done a test before giving me my meds. The test only costs about 100 Euros which I would of paid for myself if needed , if they had ony told me about it first!

I seem to have a low count of enzymes in my liver, it's genetic.

The meds they gave me were toxic and could of killed me.

I'm always the ,"lucky" one ,rare liver enzyme count, rare blood type sometimes it's better to be average!

Only around 2% of the population is allergic to the meds given to me...In France it is a law to test first before giving out this drug. They do have an antidote but it is rarely avaiable in hospitals because of the cost. It has a self life of ne year per dose and costs over 50,000 Euros.... I suffered through and got better with some low cost shots.

If it was more serious  I'd be gone by now, can kill you off in a few days if you don't have any liver enzymes.

DPD deficiency, I'm learning post fact about everything.

Too little too late however.

Doctors are dangerous to ones health!
Health insurance is needed, clearly, but a rip off (bottom line these companies want to make money and apart from administratio and profit their are some other expenses).

Just repeating myself in Hungary I was quite happy with healthcare, yes the doctors are old (sometimes very old), but they also had loads of experience.

I do not know what I am going to do with lung or eg prostate cancer, Yes there is a good chance you will survive, but in what condition. Definitely I will not my wife in poverty for medical bills.

Luckily I have no problems yet (as far as I know), but many people do. Is it really worth to extend life with a few years in a miserable state (I do not know, really do not).

I am simple and I think genes are very important, father side (big famliy) all died well before 60, my mother is 80+ and in excellent condition (relatively of course).

Life is not honest in a way,(many ways)
My very best friend from school was so stressed out a couple years back because her husband has prostate cancer.

She worked herself up so much that she got sick and died a week after enetering the hospital with the flu. Might of been Covid but she got ill about 2 -3 weeks before it hit the US.

It's been a bit over 2 years now and her husband is doing fine.

My friend in Hawaii about 7 months ago lost her husband to lung cancer.Was treated for
pneumonia the previous 6 weeks.Found out he had cancer just 10 days before he passed away. They are rather wealthy too and educated, he was a lawyer and her son is even a doctor in Honolulu.

In both cases it's just hard to understand why .

Count each day as a blessing .
@Marilyn Tassy luckily the days are still in good health, nobody knows for future, but it is important.

Son of neighbour (very sympathic woman and with HIGH moral values) in Hungary died from cancer he was relatively young, but the last of his years were horrible in the end cancer caught up with life, but the last 5 or 6 years was difficult for him (but also for his mother (very minimum income, no means at all to hire a nurse, just to try herself (sad, sad),

In such situation I would ask my wife to hire a nurse in Turkey for 12 hours per day just to accompany me in death (no hospitals, no difficult things, just try to enjoy the last days). But not everybody can afford. Give my audible book and painkillers. That is it.

Life, work, work and than you die, we try to enjoy a bit before the last step. (applies to ALL countries I think, in some easier, in some more difficult).

Getting news of dead people really make you think, not much one can do, but one can cry

In such situation I would ask my wife to hire a nurse in Turkey for 12 hours per day just to accompany me in death (no hospitals, no difficult things, just try to enjoy the last days). But not everybody can afford. Give my audible book and painkillers. That is it.

Life, work, work and than you die, we try to enjoy a bit before the last step. (applies to ALL countries I think, in some easier, in some more difficult).

- @cdw057

Having watched my brother disintegrate from an inoperable brain tumor and my mother pass from heart failure,  I can see all the best laid plans collapsing into some sort of inevitability black hole during the illness.  There's always something left unsaid or forgotten on that particular rollercoaster ride.  It's just unstoppable to the end.

Military people say most plans do not survive contact with the enemy.   It seems the same with fatal illnesses.  There's no time for really enjoying anything. Progress to the final moment is non-stop and relentless.   
I lost both my parents to cancer.

My step-father was young, just 43.

He knew it was getting bad but made all the plans pssible for his exit.

Had his will in order, told my mother exactly what to do with the house.

She should of listened more and paid the house off with his life insurnace...

Even if you lay all the best plans there is no way to cntrl what happens when you check out.

My mother took full control, well as much as anyone can.

She beat cancer for 12 years but it came back.

She figured she was done fighting and her youngest child had been married off so she flet her job was dne with and she could finally get sme rest and peace.

She missed her 2nd husband very much and was ready to go whereever he was...

She refused to tell us how ill she was, made her 3rd husband be in a pack with her to not tell us.She sold her house, moved ver 500 miles away so we couldn't keep tabs on her. Told her doctor she was doen with him and lived out the next year in a pretty little town in a small RV. Her husband wned land up in N Ca. and the RV was suppose to be just temp. until they built on his land. All just something she told us to keep us children happy.

She paid off all her debts, gave her husband some money to live n and put the rest into a chasiers check for her 6 children to share.

I spoke with her over the phoone 2 to 3 times per week for that year and she never let on she was ill.

As Franky would say, "She did it her way".

I know several people who had cancer and never told anyone until the last few weeks were left.

One friend was only 32 years old.She has a music video from the 1980's before she passed on U tube.

She was amazing, super pretty,even more so in person then on film. She was a high end runway model in Milan Italy, an American. Her video can still be seen on U tube, "Peggy and the Pils" song is called, "Nobody's Bride" sort of erie like she knew but didn't tell us until it was time to go.

She also made a song with the old band,"Talk-Talk". Never heard that one however and she used to date, Adam Ant.

So even young, beautiful people can fall ill, not just older people.

Can't predict what is going to ahppen, there is always the silly home accident or sme carefull fool knocks you ver on their scooter.

My 3rd, step-dad's SIL was fried at work, he was a lineman for the electric co.

I'm sure he didn't see that one coming, one of his idiot co-workers turned the power on to quickly.
I was to young to understand how my Father died (intenral comlpications (at the time_), but can Mean many Things), Still 39 is far too early to die,

It follows me for my life.I do not believe science would have saved ny father, still, ,,,
My one grandmother passed when my mom was 13.

The other died in the OR leaving behind 8 children.

2 of my youngest uncles had to go into a children's home because my grandfather couldn't handle it all.

The probably are the 2 most well ajusted members of the family!
My one grandmother passed when my mom was 13.

The other died in the OR leaving behind 8 children.

2 of my youngest uncles had to go into a children's home because my grandfather couldn't handle it all.
- @Marilyn Tassy

That's a horrible choice to have to make.
One friend was only 32 years old.She has a music video from the 1980's before she passed on U tube.

She was amazing, super pretty,even more so in person then on film. She was a high end runway model in Milan Italy, an American. Her video can still be seen on U tube, "Peggy and the Pils" song is called, "Nobody's Bride" sort of erie like she knew but didn't tell us until it was time to go.

She also made a song with the old band,"Talk-Talk". Never heard that one however and she used to date, Adam Ant.

...- @Marilyn Tassy

I had a look at Peggy and the Pils.  She was very pretty but the song I'm sorry to say is pretty naff. I suppose it was OK at the time.   It was that kind of era.  I used to know the brother of Adam Ant's guitarist.   The brother was super intelligent but quite often depressed if I remember correctly.  Sad really as I quite liked him.

Whatever happened to Adam Ant?  Faded away and probably doing nostalgia shows on cruise ships.  Boy George of that era is still very popular.  He became a DJ  at these mega clubs around the world but still does concerts sometimes.  Had more hits than Adam Ant did, that's for sure.

...- @Marilyn Tassy

I had a look at Peggy and the Pils.  She was very pretty but the song I'm sorry to say is pretty naff. I suppose it was OK at the time.   It was that kind of era.  I used to know the brother of Adam Ant's guitarist.   The brother was super intelligent but quite often depressed if I remember correctly.  Sad really as I quite liked him.

Whatever happened to Adam Ant?  Faded away and probably doing nostalgia shows on cruise ships.  Boy George of that era is still very popular.  He became a DJ  at these mega clubs around the world but still does concerts sometimes.  Had more hits than Adam Ant did, that's for sure.
- @fluffy2560

Yes, the name of her little side project band was a bit lame but we have to give her credit.

Most people say they will start a band and few do.

She , Peggy was a full time  model( well models work like 4 hours a month but make tons of money)

She was American and wouldn't do the "modlelng circut thing" dinners for jobs ect.

She started modeling in her mid 20's which is a bit old to start. Had been a Playboy waitress at the old Playboy club in Ca.

Her agent sent her to Italy to model because of her looks, she was not rail thin as they liked in the US at the time and her darker hair was big in Europe.

I still remember the first time I met her thorugh my sister.

My sis had us both over for an afternoon drinking a pool party.Myers rum and tons of laughter.

Really nice person without that big star's ego. She even took the time to shop for me and send me a package from Italy. She was actually my sisters very good friend. My sister  used to model in her late teens, until her husband said no way.

She actually told me I was so lucky. I was married and had a nice husband and a child.

I though, BS she flys here and there on a whim and gets paid for it.

When I found out she was so ill I realized she wasn't messing with me, she meant it.

She came in where I was an assistant in Westwood, mymanger was going to trim her hair. All the snobs working in that shop couldn't believe she came in to visit me , I was just a lowly assistant after all.

Idiots.Yes, she dated Adam Ant for a spell, she also had slashes on her wrists from trying to off herself.

All these "beautiful" people would want to date her or take her out but none of them really loved her.

It was a bit sad, they only wanted to be seen with her on their arm.

On one of her last trips over to the states she brought her Italian BF with her.

He worked in a pizza parlor and was one of the ugliest men I ever saw in my life. I suppose she had enough of the beautiful people and went for someone who cared about her.

She lived with him and his mother in Milan and used to freak out with all the pasta the mother cooked. She was afraid she would be out of work if she ate too much pasta.

New wave music seems a bit silly lookking back now I agree.

Yes, the name of her little side project band was a bit lame but we have to give her credit.

Most people say they will start a band and few do.

She , Peggy was a full time  model( well models work like 4 hours a month but make tons of money)

She was American and wouldn't do the "modlelng circut thing" dinners for jobs ect.

She started modeling in her mid 20's which is a bit old to start. Had been a Playboy waitress at the old Playboy club in Ca.

Her agent sent her to Italy to model because of her looks, she was not rail thin as they liked in the US at the time and her darker hair was big in Europe.

I still remember the first time I met her thorugh my sister.

My sis had us both over for an afternoon drinking a pool party.Myers rum and tons of laughter.

Really nice person without that big star's ego. She even took the time to shop for me and send me a package from Italy. She was actually my sisters very good friend. My sister  used to model in her late teens, until her husband said no way.

She actually told me I was so lucky. I was married and had a nice husband and a child.

I though, BS she flys here and there on a whim and gets paid for it.

When I found out she was so ill I realized she wasn't messing with me, she meant it.

She came in where I was an assistant in Westwood, mymanger was going to trim her hair. All the snobs working in that shop couldn't believe she came in to visit me , I was just a lowly assistant after all.

Idiots.Yes, she dated Adam Ant for a spell, she also had slashes on her wrists from trying to off herself.

All these "beautiful" people would want to date her or take her out but none of them really loved her.

It was a bit sad, they only wanted to be seen with her on their arm.

On one of her last trips over to the states she brought her Italian BF with her.

He worked in a pizza parlor and was one of the ugliest men I ever saw in my life. I suppose she had enough of the beautiful people and went for someone who cared about her.

She lived with him and his mother in Milan and used to freak out with all the pasta the mother cooked. She was afraid she would be out of work if she ate too much pasta.

New wave music seems a bit silly lookking back now I agree.

- @Marilyn Tassy

Her side hustle was a good one.  Many models end up in bands or acting.  Shame her career was cut so short. 

Interestingly on the pasta theme,  I was reading about Hollywood where being size 0 is really important but oddly, in the UK, it's not what people want in their TV/movie stars.   I've noticed a number of US actors appearing in UK shows who are not clothes horses or famine thin.

When I think of models moving into acting, I always think of Grace Jones as the worst example.  She's a model that ended up being well known and appearing in movies.  Personally I think she's an obnoxious individual.   

All that New Wave and New Romantics music, it's almost as cringeworthy as the platform shoes, kipper ties and flares of the 1970s.  What were we thinking?

BTW, there's a new TV show called Pistol. It's the story of the Sex Pistols.   One of my  all time favourite bands.   Not sure what channel it's on here - it's on FX/Hulu in the USA.
I would defo watch a show about the Sex Pistols.

Grace Jones was /is a force of nature, scary really.

Peggy was learning all she could while modeling about becoming a photographer for when her modeling days were done.

Her music gig was just something fun to do. She had so much free time on her hands between jobs.

What a life, she said it was so hard having people poking at you and twisting your hair this way or that, having to model swimsuits in the winter and furs in the summer months. They did the shoots months in advance of each season.

It sounded glam but nothing really is.

My sister and I were asked by my well known hairdressing friend and one time boss to model in a international hair show held at the Disneyland hotel.

Sounded glam but dang it was far from it. Waiting around having pancake make-up put on and the going down the runway for 30 seconds...

I was told I would go out first!  Maybe for a pro that's a big deal but to me it was terrifying.My sister followed behind me, guess because we looked like twins they sent us out to open the show.

I kindly told him no after that, cost me too much as well. Not paid for the gig, just a free hairstyle. Paid for a baby-sister, new dress, shoes and all plus driving all that way to the show.

Only perk was coming home in the evening with full face make-up on, big bow lips and all and scarring my husband. I honestly didn't want to wash my face for a week.

My sis and another model and I went to dinner after the show. The looks we got from everyone were rather uncomfortable. Maybe we should of gone out to a higher end resturant?

Nice memory I suppose in some ways, no one is going to ask me to model my hair these days and I doubt I could walk down a catwalk in heels any longer.

My sister knew how to walk the catwalk but me, not so much, it wasn't really my cup of tea, all eyes on you and all. All I could think of was please don't fall on your bottom and look the fool.

As far as sizing goes, the more money one pays the smaller the clothing item is.

it's all an ego thing, the more you pay the more you are flattered about how,"perfect" your sizing is.

I when young would always purchase shoes a half size too small, Why I now wonder did I do that?
Funny thing is my husband also did the same in his youth.
I would defo watch a show about the Sex Pistols.

Grace Jones was /is a force of nature, scary really.

Peggy was learning all she could while modeling about becoming a photographer for when her modeling days were done.

Her music gig was just something fun to do. She had so much free time on her hands between jobs.

I kindly told him no after that, cost me too much as well. Not paid for the gig, just a free hairstyle. Paid for a baby-sister, new dress, shoes and all plus driving all that way to the show.

Nice memory I suppose in some ways, no one is going to ask me to model my hair these days and I doubt I could walk down a catwalk in heels any longer.

I when young would always purchase shoes a half size too small, Why I now wonder did I do that?
Funny thing is my husband also did the same in his youth.
- @Marilyn Tassy
I'm having problems trying to get our teenage daughter to not dye her hair so much.  I think the amount of chemicals she's putting on her hair, she'll end up with skin problems or something else like alopecia.   She has magnificently lush hair people would die for. She should really look after it with proper shampoos and conditioners and go au naturale.  But her "art" or "sense of self" overrules her head at the moment and we're not helping. 

I've heard of other people buying shoes that are too small.   That's not going to be good for you long term.  Like Japanese feet binding - now there's a "fashion crime" if I ever heard of one.   I've heard of people having some of their ribs removed to get tiny waists.   

Since I've got older my feet have got bigger which is rather annoying. I suppose they've splayed out over time because of generally becoming larger.  I suppose one upside is that I should be able to swim better as I have built in flippers/fins.  Every cloud has a silver lining ;)

Here's a link to Pistol (click word).   

There's another show, The Offer, which is the story of the making of The Godfather.  Despite negative reports by critics, I can only  describe The Offer as outstanding.  The cast is superb, particularly Dan Fogler (playing director Francis Ford Coppola) and Matthew Goode (playing VP Paramount Pictures Robert Evans). It should be winning some awards.
I did my hair jet black when I was 17.

It looked, "werid" on me as I am naturally ( at least back then) a very light golden brown shade with a bit of red highlights.

Started beauty college and one of the first things was coloring my hair Lucille Ball red.

Been doing red for decades now, sort of afraid to see what's underneath it all now, white?

They do say so many chemicals on the hair can cause cancer but then again so does the air we breath.

I will have to correct the statement of Bound feet coming from Japan.

No, It was China that did this for beauty.

A women was not marriage material if they had large, "Monkey Feet" even field workers had the feet bound starting around age 4.

The lower classes were allowed to have larger tiny feet, about 5 inches long while the upper class females went for 3 inch feet.

With a 5 inch foot you coud sort of hobble around but the wealthy showed it off by being carried on chairs by servants everywhere they went.

Hard to walk with a 3 inch long foot with no toes and rottening flesh.

In some very remote villages it is possible to still find elderly women in China who went through this horror.

I forgot the year where it became illegal but in remote villages it tok some time for the message to get out. It might of been when China became communist and beauty was not the highest concern.

The foot was actually broken over time, the toes would either grow into the heel of the foot or just fall off. Women were in pain all of their lives. It made ones legs swell up which was seen as giving them the perfect female form. One could agrue that wearing  make up and putting on fake nails is the same sort of body disphoria. Even hair coloring and body piercing are a type of body disphoria.

I also have forgotten the details of way they started foot binding in China. Some ruler over there had a mistress who was a dancer and she bound her feet for a dance. It became a fad with the upper classes to wear these cute shoes and slowly over time it became smething more then it was suppse t be. It was a crime to at least half the population of China. Half their people were handicapped in reality. Perhaps that's where they old custm of wanting sns came frm in China? Mother's hated to do foot binding to their litle girls but if they didn't no one would marry them?

Growing up we were not allowed to wear makeup until our late teens and in a modest way, no hair coloring allowed, we had to sneak out the peroxide and went in the sun, even put vinegar on our hair to lighten it up in the sun without mom knowing.No nail polish until 9th grade and only pink or clear.

No wonder at 18 I put green in my hair , wore green nail polish a bright red lipstick. Fell over the horse as they say.

It's OK to let teens experiement with their looks,once they get comfortabel in their own skin they will find what works for them, hoefully, not like the very old ladies I see wearing pink strips or purple in their hair but dressing like it is 1970.

I've given up my bright red hair, makes n lok like a clown at a certain age, more or a golen red these days, faded out but as one ages they do fade away...

Everyones feet grow a bit as they age.

My husband distoryed his feet for fashion. The Mod look was to wear really pointed  so your toes were rather crushed in the shoes, that plus wearing a half size to small shoes.  ( at least that was the fashion for a season or 2)

He has no issues walking but his toes are pointed like his old shoes, never going to be a foot model!

I had a hard time learning to do pedicures while in beauty school. Doing other people's feet is really disgusting to me. I got 99% of my school credit in pedicures by just watching it being done. I can't wax legs, do bikini waxing, or feet, not exactly great as a cosmetologist to refuse work. I get sick to my stomach touching most people.Let's not even talk about doing facials on others... Zits and all!

Strange for someone who made a living doing hair, I could hardly eat lunch with the smell of other peple's hair still on my hands. Hard to wash the smell off.My mother chose that trade for me, I'd never pick it for myself.

Like a dentist who hates bad breath, not a good way to make a living.

All I can say is it's more fun to get your hair done then to do hair.
I will have to correct the statement of Bound feet coming from Japan.

No, It was China that did this for beauty.

A women was not marriage material if they had large, "Monkey Feet" even field workers had the feet bound starting around age 4.

The lower classes were allowed to have larger tiny feet, about 5 inches long while the upper class females went for 3 inch feet.

With a 5 inch foot you coud sort of hobble around but the wealthy showed it off by being carried on chairs by servants everywhere they went.

Hard to walk with a 3 inch long foot with no toes and rottening flesh.

Like a dentist who hates bad breath, not a good way to make a living.

All I can say is it's more fun to get your hair done then to do hair.
- @Marilyn Tassy

I stand corrected.  I thought it was Japan.   

Makes you wonder though.  I worked with someone who spend a lot of time in Japan and apparently it's a good thing if women have squeaky high pitched voices.  I mean, WTF?   I asked this person if she squeaked and she said she had to.   Jeez, give me a break!  She might have been winding me up.

I suppose Marilyn Monroe went down a storm there - squeaky and seductive all at the same time.   I think she was so underrated and so much was put on her looks. She was more than that.   Such a shame she checked out early.   She could have been a  very glam grand dame of Hollywood.  Or could have had a great career at the drone factory.   And she had great hair.

I was watching a movie and the coroner/pathologist was going slice up a bloated body that had been in water from some time.  All the bystanders were choking on it as he gleefully removed the intestines. I suppose you can get numbed  to anything over time. 

04UP-MARILYN-jumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=w
Marilyn, my  namesake...

Working in a Ca. aircraft factry druing the war years.

Think this photo was prepped,  ( stagged) my mom worked in an aircraft factory during the war and yes, the ladies tried to glam up with red lipstick but most had their hair in a scarf with pincurls underneath, let their ,"hair down" after working hours.

Plus in a factory having long hair is a n-no, too dangerous if caught up in machinery.

Not sure about every wmen spekaing in a squeaky voice in Japan but I know they speak very quietly and modestly.

I never heard my DIL start any conversations in the visits we had living with them. Even after over 6 months I had to start just about every conversation. She would laugh or smile when anyone spoke but never chime in.

Makes me wonder if she was secretly angry and ready to snap!

I had a friend in the 80's from Japan in Ca.

She , her husband and 2 little girls came to the US fr his job for about 2 to 3 years.

During that time they visited Japan and she told me her father didn't like his grandaughters because they had become ,"too American" talking out of turn, taking too loud and basically just talking too much!

I thought they both were just living dolls and very quiet little girls ?

My friend didn't really want to return to Japan, she was happy driving around by herself in Ca.

The few times I saw the whole family in their car together, she did sit in the back seat with the children...

She said she probably would have to give up driving when they returned to Japan, sort of sad.

I worked in Vegas with a lady from japan, guess she was in her 50's.

She said there was no place for her any longer in japan because she had lived in the US too long. She was to much of a free spirited person and even her own brother couldn't take they way she acted.

Perhaps It's best if I don't visit my son in Japan after all, loud mouth redheaded Americans aren't welcome much. I'd be "good" for a bit but sooner or later that sake would get my mouth running.Might find myself deported.
Marilyn, my  namesake...

Working in a Ca. aircraft factry druing the war years.

Think this photo was prepped,  ( stagged) my mom worked in an aircraft factory during the war and yes, the ladies tried to glam up with red lipstick but most had their hair in a scarf with pincurls underneath, let their ,"hair down" after working hours.

Plus in a factory having long hair is a n-no, too dangerous if caught up in machinery.

Not sure about every wmen spekaing in a squeaky voice in Japan but I know they speak very quietly and modestly.

I never heard my DIL start any conversations in the visits we had living with them. Even after over 6 months I had to start just about every conversation. She would laugh or smile when anyone spoke but never chime in.

Makes me wonder if she was secretly angry and ready to snap!

I had a friend in the 80's from Japan in Ca.

She , her husband and 2 little girls came to the US fr his job for about 2 to 3 years.

During that time they visited Japan and she told me her father didn't like his grandaughters because they had become ,"too American" talking out of turn, taking too loud and basically just talking too much!

I thought they both were just living dolls and very quiet little girls ?

My friend didn't really want to return to Japan, she was happy driving around by herself in Ca.

The few times I saw the whole family in their car together, she did sit in the back seat with the children...

She said she probably would have to give up driving when they returned to Japan, sort of sad.

I worked in Vegas with a lady from japan, guess she was in her 50's.

She said there was no place for her any longer in japan because she had lived in the US too long. She was to much of a free spirited person and even her own brother couldn't take they way she acted.

Perhaps It's best if I don't visit my son in Japan after all, loud mouth redheaded Americans aren't welcome much. I'd be "good" for a bit but sooner or later that sake would get my mouth running.Might find myself deported.
- @Marilyn Tassy

It was indeed a staged photo. It was because they were searching for war effort "Rosie the Riveter" type people who could appear in a military magazine.  They didn't recognise it was MM for years until someone noticed.  It must have made the photographer a fortune or perhaps the US government owns it.     The officer who commissioned the photo was none other than Ronald Reagan.   Small world.

I know someone from Asia who now says they've changed too much to go back there.  Couldn't take the strait-jacket of the social niceties.   I don't believe that person fitted there anyway.  Too changed by being away.