To move or not to move?!?!

Hi all,

I'm 28 and living and working in Sydney, Australia. But now currently deliberating over a job offer I have just received to move and start up a business of approximately 80 administration staff. This will no doubt come with its challenges for someone that has not lived overseas nor ever been to the Philippines!

Our key focus area is Makati, if we do decide on this location where would be the best place to look for a place to live for my wife and I and what would the likely cost be. We would love to live in a house, but from what I have been reading this may be out of the question!?!?

Also, I would be very interested to hear from any other Aussies that have made the move for any hints and tips that you may have for me!!

It's a pretty big decision to make and I guess I just want to make one knowing as much as I can know!

Thank you for your time.

Regards
Ads

Hello Ads and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will share their experience with you soon.

Harmonie.:)

Hi there,

It will be a great experience for you to stay here in the heart of the Financial District. DOn't worry there are a lot of Australians here! In fact, we are establishing a contract with a local resort that have at least 74 Australians who bought their units. Australians here are everywhere and I am sure we've got some in this group.

Anyway, in order to help you more effectively with your questions, I need more details like what kind of business do you plan to set up or is it already set up and are you just taking over management? Will your stay be temporary, how long? You and your wife can either rent a condo unit, a town house, or a house if you wish. The longer your stay will be the better rate you will get. As what I will always suggest to newbies here, stay at a fully furnished condo in Makati, the ones across Greenbelt for me is the safest and best place to be. The prices are not that bad, pretty affordable. We will connect you to the local trustworthy realtor to help you find the right location where you and your wife will feel comfortable, secured and safe.

Fully furnished houses in Makati range from P100k to P200k/month (except those in Forbes Park and Dasmarinas Village) depending on location and condition.  Almost the same as high end condominiums located in Makati and at the Fort in Taguig.  Try looking at San Lorenzo Village, Urdaneta Village and Bel-Air village.  If you want somewhere outside Makati City Corinthian Gardens Village in Quezon City, Greenhills Village in Mandaluyong City and Valle Verde Village in Pasig City are at par.

Hi all,

Hello there too you Ads,

I'm 28 and living and working in Sydney, Australia. But now currently deliberating over a job offer I have just received to move and start up a business of approximately 80 administration staff. This will no doubt come with its challenges for someone that has not lived overseas nor ever been to the Philippines!

Yes, really a life as an Expat, will be surely another thing for you, but definitely you will find it good as time passess by...
Just take time to go around, coz there are lots aussie too.

Our key focus area is Makati, if we do decide on this location where would be the best place to look for a place to live for my wife and I and what would the likely cost be. We would love to live in a house, but from what I have been reading this may be out of the question!?!?

For this matter you need only to find a place somewhere only in Makati area strictly as for me, for you not to be able to experience much traffic along the way, this woudl be only perfect location for you.

Also, I would be very interested to hear from any other Aussies that have made the move for any hints and tips that you may have for me!!

I could only share my experience as a Filipina Expat here in Middle east Kuwait... here there's a lot of Aussie here... too. But being in another country is very strange feeling for first timer, but as you go by, giving the best you can be and being fare in all sense this will surely keep you up. =)

It's a pretty big decision to make and I guess I just want to make one knowing as much as I can know!

Yes, big decision of course for you as a family man, I'm sure you will enjoy tropical weather of Philippines, add minus the people you will cross about. Just enjoy and observe all I can say...

Thank you for your time.

Welcome...

Kind thanks...

diarynigracia

Hey mate if you are serious about setting up a business over in the philippines i would suggest you do your homework very carefully. From personal experience and my dealings with other expats it is very easy to lose your money. cost of living in makati is probably the most expensive of anywhere in the philippines. Unless you have a large cash reserve i would be looking outside makati to set up. Go there first,spend at least 1 to 3 months over there to really get a feel for the place and take your time. Speak to as many ex-pats as possible and get contacts. Trust me it will be worth it in the long run.