Apostille Needed for Applying ti Brazil Consulate in Chicago?

Hi all!

This may have been covered somewhere else, but I'm in the middle of Applying for a Retirement Visa XIV through the Consulate in Chicago. I am planning to move in June to Joao Pessoa, PB!  The consulate has been less than helpful in figuring out exactly what I need.   I finally was able to upload all my documents into their site, but now I am trying to anticipate what I will need to send them in hard copies once they approve my initial request.   

Will I need everything Apostille for sending to them in Chicago?  I am trying to get all these documents in order for when they do finally give me the go ahead to send them in.

Muito obrigado por qualquer ajuda amigos!

Martin
Someone else recommended this company and it is who I used.

[link under review]/

Super easy, super fast, secure and very helpful. It was $130 total for me because I was having the stuff sent to Brazil. Should be far cheaper if you are having it sent to Chicago.

Good luck
05/10/22 Hi, Martin,

If you live in the service area of the Chicago Consulate, you should not need apostilles on any of the documents that you provide to them.  They keep reference records in their files for all of the issuing authorities (and supposedly for all the Notaries Public!) in their region.

They may require an apostille for any document from outside the region, although they may choose to let that pass.

You should have apostilles for all of the documents that you'll have to present to the Polícia Federal once you arrive, to request your  CRNM.

@abthree  how to get the Apostille once you are in Brasil ? I am in Bahia.

@kmitch0077 i don't know why the link was shown in my earlier post but this is who i used when i was in brazil when I needed an apostile:

Monument Vist dot com.  They were tremendous and i got my documents in 3 weeks.

05/10/22 @abthree  how to get the Apostille once you are in Brasil ? I am in Bahia.

- @kmitch0077

It depends on the issuing authority of the document. 

Documents issued under the authority of a State, including private legal documents that have been notarized, receive apostilles from the designated apostille authority for that State, generally (but not always, so check) the Secretary of State.

US Federal documents, like the FBI Background Check, require an apostille from the US Department of State.

As HighVoltage1045 has pointed out, there are services in the US that can help you with that while you're abroad.  I've never used the one he did, but they look legit, and I'd certainly check them out.  I have used National Apostille Inc. (www.nationalapostille.com) to get a Federal apostille on my FBI Background Check, and was very pleased with the price, the turnaround, and the results.

Sworn Translations must be performed by a Sworn Translator appointed by the Junta Comercial of a Brazilian state after passing a competitive examination, so I recommend having your documents translated in Brazil by a bona fide Sworn Translator, rather than requesting "Certified Translations" from an apostille service that may not be accepted in Brazil.
@MA22 As it happens, I processed my visa through the Chicago Consulate General, too, and got my Illinois apostilles very easily as a walk-in at the Secretary of State's office on State Street in Chicago:

I have a question on the retirement visa. I am retired with some disability from my US Army service, I also have some military retirement that is not disability, and my social security.  Are any of these taxed if I obtain the retirement visa?
05/11/22 I have a question on the retirement visa. I am retired with some disability from my US Army service, I also have some military retirement that is not disability, and my social security.  Are any of these taxed if I obtain the retirement visa?
- @ezpzliving23

For planning purposes only,  to live in Brazil assume, as a minimum, that the funds that you transfer for your living expenses will be subject to Brazilian income taxes.  Once you're settled in the location of your choice, you should find a local accountant/tax expert whom you feel that you can trust, discuss your entire financial situation with that person, and follow his/her advice.
Thank you
@abthree

I just received notice to send my documents to Chicago to the consulate!  It says to send all the original documents?  I just had a notary at my bank make official notary copies of all the major things they requested; Passport, Driver's License, Birth Certificate, FBI Record Check Letter.  I have an appointment Tuesday at MN Secretary of State's office for making apostilles for these. 

Should I just send the notarized copies I have here or wait until these have apostille?? Or Do I really need to send my ORIGINAL Passport, Driver's License, etc.?  That seems crazy.

"Send by mail the same original documents that were uploaded to the E-consular platform.

If consular fees are required, please send a Postal Money Order issued by the United States Postal Service (USPS), payable to “Consulate General of Brazil in Chicago”.

The Consulate General of Brazil in Chicago only accepts USPS envelopes (FEDEX, UPS, DHL envelopes, etc. are not accepted). Priority or Express Mail envelopes with Tracking Number are recommended for your safety. The Consulate is not responsible for lost mail.

Do not forget to include a USPS Return Envelope (Priority envelope or Express Mail with Tracking Number) addressed and stamped.

Send your request to:

Consulate General of Brazil in Chicago

401 N Michigan Ave, suite 825, Chicago, IL 60611"

Thank you!
05/11/22  @MA22 --  you really need to send the original documents, including your passport.  They'll attach the visa to one of its blank pages, and return everything to you. 

Consider going directly from the Secretary of State's office to the Post Office, and follow their suggestion to send every thing Express Mail.  Don't forget to enclose the Postal Money Order for the fees, and the trackable, prepaid return envelope.
Abthee- Thank you. How long was the turnaround time for you  from mailing to getting everything back?

I am very worried they will keep my Driver's License and Passport beyond when I'm supposed to leave in mid-June...
05/11/22 Abthee- Thank you. How long was the turnaround time for you  from mailing to getting everything back?

I really don't know.  Their turnaround time used to be about two weeks, when it was done in person. With Express Mail both ways, I would think that you'll be ok.   There's a tracking link on the Consulate's website.
Thank you so much abthree! You are very much appreciated... 🙏🙏☺️☺️
Thank you so much abthree! You are very much appreciated... 🙏🙏☺️☺️
- @MA22

Are you sure they want your original Driver's license?  That's the first time I heard of that one.  I did my VITEM XI just over a year ago through the Consulate in SF. The turn around was under a week with overnight mail, but they never wanted my driver's license.  They will permanently attach your VITEM visa on the stamp pages within your passport, like any other visa for other countries and as Brail was doing until just a few years back.
@rraypo

Thank you!  Yes, I think they want my Driver's License because that is what I used to verify my address. 1f620.svg  They wanted everything to match. In hindsight, I could've used a bill or other way to verify my address... Of course, I only thought of this after the fact...  Everything on it's way to Chicago now... Thanks so much for your support. 1f60a.svg
@rraypo

Thank you!  Yes, I think they want my Driver's License because that is what I used to verify my address. 1f620.svg  They wanted everything to match. In hindsight, I could've used a bill or other way to verify my address... Of course, I only thought of this after the fact...  Everything on it's way to Chicago now... Thanks so much for your support. 1f60a.svg
- @MA22

Yes, I sent them a power bill and my cell phone bill as proof I lived in their region.  They only wanted photocopies of my DL. If your consulate is like the one in SF, they were great, fast, professional, and courteous. Good luck to you.

It's so funny, once I got the VITEM XI visa, I went to Sao Paulo and arranged the appointment for my final RNM interview.  Everything there was easy and they were the same as the Consulate, fast and professional. I walked out and into a bank where I opened my accounts, finally.  After fifteen years of begging every bank and branch, I could find to no avail, I finally had my own bank accounts, so easily. Since then, anything financial has been very easy.  I get pre-approved credit card offers online and in the mail, setting up propane and electric accounts is now very easy, home phones, all easy.  Before getting my CRNM, that stuff was like near to impossible. I just bought a new car, it was SO FAST and easy now to title it compared to the one I bought as a tourist.

Once again, the best of luck to you
Quick comment -

I'm nearing 1.5 years as a "temporary resident" with my Retirement XIV visa.  I've still not been successful opening a Brazilian bank account.  I'm working with a local accountant who has told me that, with no bank account, and money coming in via ATM and currency, dollars to reais, I did not have taxes in 2021.  I do wonder what they'll be asking when it comes time to renew for the next two years.
05/13/22 Quick comment -

I'm nearing 1.5 years as a "temporary resident" with my Retirement XIV visa.  I've still not been successful opening a Brazilian bank account.  I'm working with a local accountant who has told me that, with no bank account, and money coming in via ATM and currency, dollars to reais, I did not have taxes in 2021.  I do wonder what they'll be asking when it comes time to renew for the next two years.
- @Viajanete

Hi, Viajanete,

That's really surprising.  Why do the banks tell you that you can't open an account?  Does their explanation make sense to your accountant?
I am interested in this also.

Have you spoken with the PF or RF about the issue? Also, BB may be able to help.
The banks say that it's because of the "temporary" resident status.  When it becomes permanent, after 5 years, no problem.  That was Banco do Brasil. I'm going to give Santander a try; I've heard that friends of friends had success there.
05/14/22  For what it's worth, I think they're wrong.  But has anybody in any country yet been able to convince a bank of that? 😂  You have a CRNM, right?

Good luck with Santander.  Please let us know how it goes.
Wow,

Have you tried Bradesco? I was grandfathered into Bradesco after it bought HSBC.

Also may ask for a savings account instead,
Boa tarde! 

UPDATE: Great news! I received my approval for my Retirement Visa XIV from the Consulate in Chicago in Record time. After they finally told me I was uploading my information to the wrong section on their website!

I had asked for the maximum 2 years but was allowed a one year at this time.  I also followed someone'e advice on this forum and applied for my CPF online, which I also received very quickly this week!
Does this now allow me to apply for a bank account when I arrive in June?

I am still trying to locate some quality International Health care coverage that's a reasonable price as I'm on disability.

I was turned down for IMG as I have a pre-existing condition they won't cover me, or offer any policy.

Lastly, What have people been using for International calls back to the USA for calling my local Bank, SSA, other things.  I am knowldgeable to use Whatsapp or or FB Messenger for Family and friends but other types of things?  Someone mentioned Google Fi? Google fi seems to have pretty good plans for texts and data but for calls?  And a Skype plan? (Microsoft)  I use a MAC computer.

Muito obrigado amigos!
@MA22

My educated guess you will need a gopher, or "despachante" to get things moving.  I am none of them, but that is the way it works. 

It may also give you the heads up on red flag issues on claiming residency in Brazil.   

As a Brazilian American, I can tell you there are greener pastures for retirement abroad.  Give Uruguay and Chile a hard look. 

If you have "Jungle Fever" ( Brazilian Women ), i would encourage you to think this through. 
05/24/22  UPDATE: Great news! I received my approval for my Retirement Visa XIV from the Consulate in Chicago in Record time. After they finally told me I was uploading my information to the wrong section on their website!

I had asked for the maximum 2 years but was allowed a one year at this time.  I also followed someone'e advice on this forum and applied for my CPF online, which I also received very quickly this week!
Does this now allow me to apply for a bank account when I arrive in June?

- @MA22

Congratulations!

You won't be able to open a bank account until you've registered with the Federal Police and received your CRNM, which should be about a month after you register.  Until then, you'll probably be using your US debit card to withdraw cash from bank ATMs here.  Some retirees have been running into issues opening bank accounts.  So far it seems to be local; hopefully, it won't happen to you.

05/24/22 Lastly, What have people been using for International calls back to the USA for calling my local Bank, SSA, other things.  I am knowldgeable to use Whatsapp or or FB Messenger for Family and friends but other types of things?  Someone mentioned Google Fi? Google fi seems to have pretty good plans for texts and data but for calls?  And a Skype plan? (Microsoft)  I use a MAC computer.

Muito obrigado amigos!
- @MA22

Here's a thread in which people have discussed their options for this at length, with pros and cons:

Lastly, What have people been using for International calls back to the USA for calling my local Bank, SSA, other things.  I am knowldgeable to use Whatsapp or or FB Messenger for Family and friends but other types of things?  Someone mentioned Google Fi? Google fi seems to have pretty good plans for texts and data but for calls?  And a Skype plan? (Microsoft)  I use a MAC computer.

Muito obrigado amigos!
- @MA22

Have you tried an app called Phone Link? It is a Microsoft product and usually goes with Windows, so you don't need to download it to your PC/laptop because it is already pre-installed with Windows 10/11. All you need is to find this app in your PC and link it with your Android phone (I'm not sure if it works with Apple products but Phone Link works perfectly with Samsung Galaxy). You can receive/send texts and phone calls directly to/from your PC via Phone Link (you need internet connection though).