2 Weeks to go! Any Tips?

Hi everyone,

Well I am getting excited - only 2 weeks to go until I come to join my husband in beautiful Mauritius!

I am shipping a small container out.

Any tips on what I should bring with me from home?

Or anything which you may have thought "Oh I wished I had brought ???"

Kind regards and looking forward to your replies!

Rosiewestie x

Love it or leave it, but I miss parsnips a lot... And if you like books, depending on your tastes, you might not be able to find anything over here...
I'm also going to London in a couple of days just to renew my petite clothes stock, because they've never heard of it over here... I found it painfully hard to find trousers or shorts (I'm short AND chubby) so if you're not a top model I'd advise you to bring a good lot of them! I was ashamed to go to work hahaha!

hi rosiewettie,

how about bring sunbathing creams? and mosquito repellent(240 AC) as well,

cheers,
I S L A N D E R

islander77 wrote:

hi rosiewettie,

how about bring sunbathing creams? and mosquito repellent(240 AC) as well

No problem to find that in Mauritius!

Rosiewettie!! did this make me laugh! Rosie my westie has just done exactly that! So funny might change my posting ID to this! lol

Hi Rosiewestie, I cannot find underwear I like and fits me well in Mauritius, you may want to stock up on your favourite brand.

I advice you to buy nice shoes.Not really good choice here....:(

Hi,
Christmas/greeting cards,cotton underwear,UK standard plugs/multiplugs,leather shoes....these are what I always bring back when I go to the UK on holiday.
Books ....there are good selections of books here though expensive so if you happen to read a lot then maybe some bought up from a charity shop in the UK would be a good idea.
Which part of Mauritius will you be settling in??? There are English speaking groups in the North and on the Central Plateau if you are interested please pm me for more details.
Cheers

Yes, agree with settledexpat, bring a collection of birthday, Christmas and other greeting cards, we do not have a good selection of cards in Mauritius at all.

For books I recommend buying an Amazon Kindle and downloading your books.

Kindle is a lifesaver! Make sure you have one! Most things can be got here, I find clothing shopping fine, and now that marks and sparks opening in September no problem to find undies etc.. @heyJude.. Arcasa in grand baie or quality living centre does lovely greeting cards, wrapping, gift boxes etc..if you use suet at all bring that, otherwise you will find everything from Heinz baked beans to branston pickle here! Perhaps medicines that you are used to? They are mainly French or south African brands here. Very good but perhaps unfamiliar to you...

Sun cream and insect repellent is much cheaper in UK.  Electrical items are cheaper and better quality in UK.
Biscuits and cereals again cheaper and more choice although you might want to bring tupperware containers to put them in to keep them away from the ants!!  You can get most things in Mauritius but they are just more expensive and sometimes less choice.
Good luck with your move and hope to meet you soon.

Hi Andrea Chad,

Where exactly are Arcasa and Quality Living Centre?  I would love to see they have but do not know these shops even though I have lived here for 4 years, are they new stores?

Please let me know.

Thanks

You don't have another dog called 'Freddie Westie' do you?...

Where in Hampshire are you? I used to live there :)

And where abouts in MAU are you moving to?

Bedding is something people have also todl me to bring, like sheets etc

Hi HeyJude,

Quality living centre is in royal road castel, near the Phoenix breweries. They have an arcasa there which does cards and candles, they also have lovely kitchenware, linens, curtaining, gifts etc, all very good brands..arcasa then also has a smaller outlet in grand baie at the kapu Kai centre

Thanks Andrea, I will pop into Kapu Kai next time I am passing, is it a new shop?  Kapui Kai has been praticarly empty for years.

andreaChad wrote:

, and now that marks and sparks opening in September no problem to find undies etc.. ..

Excellent... i though that i had to hold my breath till Woolworths opens in Mauritius.. which is also coming soon to Mauritius hopefully early next year in Socota.

there are some good card collection in a small shop near Jumbo and also in the bookshop next to shoprite in Trianon; the nice cards will set you back around 100Rs.

Hi all,

Well I have taken your advice and bought a Amazon Kindle - although I need a degree in Technology to work it out! 

6 days to go, Undies, plugs etc all packed ready to ship!

The dogs had their coats cut really short today in preparation for the flight and Mau weather - weather is good in the UK so they are finding the short hair a bonus!

Thanks for all your tips :)

Kind regards
Dee