Corrupt Immigration officials at PNH Airport

Hello,

We visited Phnom Penh last week from Vietnam. I'm myself a U.S Citizen and obtained a 30 day E-Visa,  My spouse is a Vietnamese citizen able to enter Cambodia without a Visa under the Asean agreements.  When we arrived at the immigration (passport control) area we were directed to separate immigration officers. I showed my U.S passport,  e-visa,  passport got stamped without delay. When my spouse presented her Vietnamese passport, the immigration officer knocked on her desk and showed a $10 bill, partially covered with a piece of paper. My spouse replied "I  don't' understand" after which the officer knocked for the second time and showed her the $10 bill again . At this point she called me to come over, after which the officer immediately stamped her passport and threw it back to her.  When we returned recently from PNH airport back to Vietnam, the exact same situation happened again with another officer. We have never experienced such a high level of corruption in any country. What's interesting to point out is that I was never asked to pay for a "bribe"

I'm wondering if someone else experienced a similar situation in Cambodia?

@VN Expat This has been going on as long as I can remember. I was married to a Vietnamese and the same thing would happen every single time we left or entered the country. It happens to Chinese too, the immigration officials know that those two nationalities are easy targets and often cough up the money without resistance. My ex never stood up for it. She just told them that she knows her rights and refuses to pay.

@VN Expat This has been going on as long as I can remember. I was married to a Vietnamese and the same thing would happen every single time we left or entered the country. It happens to Chinese too, the immigration officials know that those two nationalities are easy targets and often cough up the money without resistance. My ex never stood up for it. She just told them that she knows her rights and refuses to pay.

- @Hannostamm

WOW! That's terrible to hear that this happened to your ex as well! .  Looks they target some specific nationalities and ask for a bribe.

I'm wondering how many people actually pay  , since it appears that bribery happens a lot in Cambodia!

- @Hannostamm

WOW! That's terrible to hear that this happened to your ex as well! .  Looks they target some specific nationalities and ask for a bribe.

I'm wondering how many people actually pay  , since it appears that bribery happens a lot in Cambodia!
- @VN Expat

I used to fly in and out a lot and saw immigration officiis sit in front of piles of money. They were not very shy about it.
Any expat who has dealings here with someone in uniform knows that it almost always involves a small financial transaction. It is just part of life here, like the wet season, like the mosquitoes, and the odd dose of food poisoning. Not always a pleasant experience, but if you stay long enough it is impossible to avoid. Overall, the benefits outweigh the obstacles, so might as well just accept it. What are you going to do about it - write to the papers?
Any expat who has dealings here with someone in uniform knows that it almost always involves a small financial transaction. It is just part of life here, like the wet season, like the mosquitoes, and the odd dose of food poisoning. Not always a pleasant experience, but if you stay long enough it is impossible to avoid. Overall, the benefits outweigh the obstacles, so might as well just accept it. What are you going to do about it - write to the papers?
- @hdgh29

Have travelled to over 75 countries, including most here in SE Asia. Have never encountered a situation of being asked for a bribe to enter and leave a country. I have absolutely no issues paying for Visa fees or other charges. although be upfront and honest about it. Airline tickets already include airport taxes to be paid to the airport authorities.  I like your comment about going to write to the papers...LOL.. do the papers still exist?

Cambodian citizens are able to enter Vietnam Visa Free under the Asean agreements, I expect that Vietnamese citizens can also enter Cambodia without being molested.  Cambodia a beautiful country and does not need these crooks to represent Cambodia!
@VN Expat

When going from Singapore to Batam, Indonesia I have more than once been asked for "coffee money" by the immigration officials in Indonesia. It is despicable and detestable, but you are kind of at their mercy, since they can refuse you entry. So I was resigned to give them $10 in order to get into Indonesia. That was pre-covid, so I don't know if you can get a Visa on Arrival in Batam at this time.
@VN Expat

When going from Singapore to Batam, Indonesia I have more than once been asked for "coffee money" by the immigration officials in Indonesia. It is despicable and detestable, but you are kind of at their mercy, since they can refuse you entry. So I was resigned to give them $10 in order to get into Indonesia. That was pre-covid, so I don't know if you can get a Visa on Arrival in Batam at this time.
- @hammyt
Seems you experienced the same type of bribery in Indonesia!  We did travel to Jakarta a few years ago, although we were not asked to pay a bribe.
After being shaken down 3 times in one day on a hired Sihanoukvil moped, I gave up hiring.

@VN Expat Bribery is a way of life in Cambodia

It can have its uses. Slapped with a $200 fine in Auckland because my car's rego ran out, it was either pay up or go to court. In Siem Reap I was fined for not having my bike's reg card on me - I was given a choice, $25 with a receipt or $10 no receipt. Of course I did the right thing....

No corruption now, prior to 2018 on 3 occasions when I booked a return flight it was 29 days from the time I arrived, on presenting my visa I was told by a very bad tempered official that I over stayed my visa by 1 day and must pay $5 to him, after I refused he pushed back my visa and said, you not fly, so I paid up, a receipt was not offered, Phnom Penh today 2022 is a much safer place ( apart from the night market, keep your money in your shoe as this place is a gold mine to gangs of pick pockets) and I hope to settle there permanently in the near future.