Anybody from FSU countries lives in Budapest or plan to relocate here?

Hi all!

Made a topic for for FSU folks who are already living here (and possibly wanna metup 1f603.svg ) or for the ones who plan to relocating to Budapest (predominantly the topic is to seek local connections). 

Since the idiotic restrictions and bans on meetings/ events are lifted it is possible to restart in-person social life, organise indoor meetings and various events in case there are interest towards such programs.
Hi all!

Made a topic for for FSU folks who are already living here (and possibly wanna metup 1f603.svg ) or for the ones who plan to relocating to Budapest (predominantly the topic is to seek local connections). 

Since the idiotic restrictions and bans on meetings/ events are lifted it is possible to restart in-person social life, organise indoor meetings and various events in case there are interest towards such programs.
- @sjbabilon5

I am an idiot at times, dont know what an FSU country is. I looked it up and only found Florida State Uni.
In any case this seems to be how most newbies to a new country are, safety in numbers and not really wanting to go it alone.
I know years ago all the Hungarians in Ca. all stuck together even if they hated each other.
Had some HU friends here in Budapest who we knew in HU, Ca, HI and back again here in HU who wanted to open up a social club just for Hungarians who used to live in the US.
I figured if it was so great for them in the US then why did they move back to HU? I knew most of the people they would of had as members and no way would I pay my dues to hang with that crowd.
I know in Honolulu they had about 250 Hungarians who lived there and often have meet up's. The numbers are much lower these days and most of th time they all drifted apart so much that the BBQ's are the only time they are now in contact.
I used to drag my HU husband over to say hi to total strangers in the US when I'd hear them speak Hungarian.
So crazy of me and embarrassing for my husband.
I learned my lesson when I heard Americans speaking here in HUngary.
I could tell by their converstion that they were not my sort and would of  been angry if my husband dragged me over to say hi to them.
It's better to make friends with locals because I've learn many ex-pats come to a new country to try and remake themselves. Things might not of gone their way back home so now they can reinvent themselves, just to much drama.
Once while we walked down Andrassy Ut near a restaurant patio we ran into a HU guy we knew from decades ago in Hawaii.
He was not your everyday sort of Hungarian, he was highly involved years ago in a cult called the ,"Source" which started in S.Ca. and moved over to HI. ( Also known as The Family all under the power of Father Yod)
We had to say hi since he saw us but any follow up meet-ups were not on our books.
The guy was from the 8th district and my husband knew him back in the 1960's. The guy was at least 10 years older then my husband , trouble in the 60's and in the 2000's.
We ran into another HU we new in Ca and HI, he was deprted frm the US fro his herion use. Still ding the same thing here in HU. He ws on his way t a rehab center when we just bumped into him on our st.
We made sure we didn't tell him we lived near by and we took the long way home.
Our son was 21 and wanted to visit Sweden and settle there if he liked it, he is a HU citizen and US one.
He answered an add fro a room mate in a paper. The guy rented the room was from the uS and a bit older then my son.
My son felt he could trust a fellow ex-pat so gave the guy first and last and moved in.
Within a few days the guy told my son that he had to go home to FL. because his grandmother was ill. He said he would be back in a few  weeks.
A few days later people started to bang and scream outside the dor of the flat.
It seems this so called fellw American god guy had taken first and last month from several  Arab men who were  now out fr blood. They had no way to now my son was als a victim, he was probably more niave then they were that's why the guy let him move in at all.
My son was so freaked out that he went to the Swedish police. They just laughed at him and said god luck.
My son gave the keys to 2 Swedish guys he met, they weren't afriad to get a months free rent.
My boy was out all that money, shook to the core and decided Sweden was a terrible place for him.
Just be careful with ex-pats, some are not what you think they are.

I finally was able to lok up what FSU meant...
I'm half Ruysn, does that count?
No idea what FSU is?
No idea what FSU is?
- @SimCityAT

Important abbreviations:

FSU = Former Soviet Union (not used with nostalgia, more a technical term)

CIS = Commonwealth of Independent States (successor in some ways to the USSR)

CSTO = Collective Security Treaty Organization (mutual military support club - generally Russia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan with some observers like Serbia  Armenia might or has left due to fighting with Azerbaijan.  Kazakhstan recently used this treaty to bring in Russian troops to stop civil unrest). 

SCO = Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (overlaps with CSTO originally China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, and Tajikistan and now includes India as a member and a few others as observers in the region)

also worth noting...

FRY = Former Republic(s) of Yugoslavia (not used with nostalgia)
Learn something new everyday.
Learn something new everyday.
- @Marilyn Tassy
People often refer to Russia as RF (Russian Federation).  Other ones I've seen in use include RT (Republic of Tajikistan), RA (Republic of Armenia).   PRC is obviously China (not Taiwan).

The other countries thereabouts are "the -stans" (Kazakh-stan, Tajiki-stan...etc).  "-stan" means land. Paki-stan the most obvious one.  Then there's Kurdistan etc.  Strange it's not Turkey-stan or India-stan or Bangladesh-stan although there is Hindu-stan of course.

One of the most interesting (in a way) is Georgia.  I thought it was Republic of Georgia but it's not, the official name is just Georgia.   It was Republic of Georgia a while back but it became Georgia maybe 10 years ago (too lazy to Google).