Cost of living in Panama in 2022

Hi everyone,

Two years after the start of the pandemic, it is time to take stock of the evolution of the cost of living in Panama or more specifically, in the region where you live. The idea is to help people get ready for their expatriation to Panama to plan their day-to-day budget for some key expenses.

If you are a tenant, what is your monthly rent? Please give details of the type of property you are in.

How much are your monthly charges (water, electricity, common area maintenance charges, etc.) and additional expenses (mobile phone and/or internet box subscriptions)?

How much do you spend on commuting (by public transport or using your car) each month?

How much does your grocery shopping cost in Panama?

How much do you spend on health care (health insurance, consultations, etc.)?

How much are your children's school fees, depending on the type of school they attend?

What about your budget for leisure activities?

Do not hesitate to indicate other everyday costs if they could be useful to others.

Thank you for your contribution :)

Cheryl
Expat.com team

Food prices are really high now in Panama City

I was shocked when shopping at El Rey,   

In January a box of strawberries was $7.50, already a high price

By mid March the same box was $10.50 !!!

I´ve been trying to find a farmer´s Market in Panama City but was told that
the only one was moved to a location outside the city

There are small produce vendors in the downtown area but prices are more
or less the same as in the supermarket chains
Hello Kolse,

Thank you for your message. 1f600.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team
I live in a Panamanian community in Dolega.  I see rent prices and cost for homes going higher in Boquete and David.  The main increase for me is gas price; I will take the bus more often to go to the store when needed.  I purchase my bulk staples from PriceSmart (laundry, paper products, beef and pork) and most items have increased.

I purchase my fruits and vegetables from a local stand very close to my house  and basics like milk, eggs, rice, and beans from the local Chino (both are 5 minute walk from my house).  The average cost at both places has gone up about 3% - 4%.

I am fortunate that I bought property last year before real estate prices started increasing. This allows me now the opportunity to grow some of my own garden items, more fruit trees are being planted and I will be purchasing chickens in the next couple months.  As prices increase, I will become more self sufficient.

Cost of living definitely dependent on the area that you are wanting or willing to live.

@Cheryl    Hi Cheryl, my name is Tim, how long have you lived in Panama?, I live in Michigian, love to hear from you!!!

Hello everyone,

@ Tim Montana, Cheryl is an Expat.com Team member, here to guide members on the forum.

Feel free to start your own topic if you need any info on Panama : Panama forum.

Members will surely provide some feedback.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To those who have provided some valuable feedback on cost of living thank you very much.

I invite members to continue sharing about their day to day life experience on cost of living (accommodation, grocery, health, school fees etc). It will help those who are not yet in Panama and considering to move there.

Have a nice day,

Bhavna