Basic law in Panama, Panama

In Panama,  are you deemed 'innocent until proven guilty', or are you 'guilty until proven innocent'?  So, if a policeman demanded a bribe, if you were caught on some minor infraction,  and you declined and he then arrested you, what would happen?

Or, a Panamanian falsely accused you?

Or, a Panamanian decided to encroach on your property.

There are many examples.

How much trouble are you in?  How expensive would it likely be, znd might you then be targeted?

Thankfully I have no experience with the legal system but from the little I've heard, it can be complicated and lengthy to get anything sorted out. If there is a dispute between a Panamanian and a foreigner, the Panamanian has the more favorable position. It is recommended that you have a dash cam in case something happens and you have to prove it wasn't your fault. But on the other hand, I have found the police to be super nice, kind and helpful.

A friend, only one on the road in the evening went too fast(not a lot, very conservative), stopped, had to bribe policeman.  Likely more on roads than foot policemen.
Another couple had everything stolen, never got help.

It's too iffy for me.

I think the culture here is more refined.  they “pretend” they don't take bribes and
Say they don't.  I have never heard of anyone openly ASK for a bribe.  it is up
To the foreigner OR Panamanian to initiate it, sneak a $20 or a $5, in with your
Passport?  And they call it a “propino” to get paperwork to not stalemate, in a
Situation where dealing with the gov. Is involved.
example, we do have garbage pick up at our house, though I pay, and no one picks up.
So one time, after several years of accumulation, we filled a small trailer, and off
We went, looking for the landfill, where we thot it was.  Well we found it, but
Apparently were not allowed in unless we had “paid” at the administration office,
Which we had not because we did not know the protocol.  After we pulled out a
Five, from my wallet, the issue was resolved INSTANTLY!!, lol.  Do I feel bad?. Lol.
The heat Alone, beats me down doing life in this country.  So I just go with the
Flow.  It's their country. I am living in THEIR country, they are not obligated to
Run their country based on my moral values, 🤷🏼‍♀️😊.
Thank you all.  I may see you one day if you are already there.

@panamarealtor2004 , no it's better to buy your property through a foundation, or business.  Of which you are the presidente y vice presidente.

@panamachick

Good day , just Wondering why, what are the advantage thank you