Health & medical insurance

dear fellow expats.
i am moving to the island end of april. i was wondering if i can get local insurance or if i need intl insurance. does anyone have experience / info on this? after research it looks like allianz has the best offer at about 3800 USD per year.
thanks in advance and happy weekend to all
dirk

Hello Dirk,

It's worth knowing that the public health system here is free at the point of use and very good from our experience.

Anecdotally, we've had to use a hospital A&E and a local walk in clinic for my son, fairly recently. On both occasions he was seen, assessed and treated, well within an hour. And given prescribed medication in the in-house pharmacy (no cost). Quite an eye opener compared to General Practice in the U.K. & Ireland.

The clinic (in Floreal) is open 7 days a week, including public holidays (9am -9pm I think) and is very new, clean and hygienic. 

Many Drs and other health professionals, run small private practices where you can be seen at short notice too and are not expensive.

Regards

Public health system is free only for Mauritius citizens and Permanent Residents of Mauritius.

Hi,
I think yes you can find better price here. I subscribed to a private insurance here for the full family. Just call me back I will give you details on whatsapp. I don't want to advertise the name of this company here because getting nothing from them. Call ***. Francis

Moderated by Cheryl 2 years ago
Reason : Kindly share the professional's contact details in private please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello Clara.37,

You can share the contact details and name of that company through private message....Click on the poster's photo > send a message

Regards,
Anoushka

Hi Chandradeep
Are retired residents therefore able to utilise the health system facilities and benefits?
Many thanks

Hello as inpatient in public facilities, if you are admitted, let's say for an operation for example, it is not free.

Have a look here : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 22#4997821

Regards,
Anoushka

@dirk_nomad I also messaged you about your banking thread. I could point you in the right direction. I've sold plenty of insurance, but not my direct field but not much effort on my part to help out and refer you on. My contact is in your Inbox.

I want to konw too