Moving To Brazil With A New MotorCycle Custom Duty

Hi, I am dual national American/Brazilian (Brazilian citizen by birth). I am married to American citizen and have been living in the USA for almost 25 years, . Next year, We are getting retire and my wife and I decided to move to Brazil. I love motorbikes and want to take a brand new 700cc motorbike with me to Brazil. I am concern about custom duty and restrictions. Am I allowed to take one motorbike without paying custom duty? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

03/04/22

Welcome!

You'll want to reconfirm with your mover when you choose one, but it looks like that's going to be a problem.   See the details here:

https://www.aaa-moving.net/customs-regu … -ptbr.html

Note also that, as a Brazilian citizen resident abroad, there are restrictions on how much time you can spend in Brazil during the year before your move without losing the tax exemption on your household goods.

This document also has a lot of useful information:

https://www.ggsm.agency/pdf/guides/movi … -guide.pdf

To benefit from the duty exemptions on household goods - and avoid massive penalties and seizures - it's important to use a mover who knows the rules and follows them to the letter.  I knew that I'd found the right company when I asked their project manager whether he had ever moved anyone to Brazil, and he started laughing.   He said, "I used to think that China was the hardest country for a move, until I did a Brazil move."

Hi, Thank you so much for the information and the links. Darn it, it's more complicated then I initially thought. I will check out the links. Thanks again.

03/04/22

pabloPiddu wrote:

Hi, Thank you so much for the information and the links. Darn it, it's more complicated then I initially thought. I will check out the links. Thanks again.

You're very welcome, and yes, it is ridiculously complicated -- pretty humorous, expect to the person making the move! 

Good luck, and feel free to check back in with questions as things develop.  We'll be here.