Missing Hungary (or not)

All I have left Hungary for a number of reasons, me being egoistic I have to admit largely financially.
Good opportunity to sell property at a good (perhaps still too low) price, but fine.

What is annoying are all these handouts by Orban, family, retirees (Hungarian born), companies (I did not get any). Somebody has to pay and certaintly the expats will not get any I think, Perhaps I will return, but for medium term I think Hungary will have a financial issue.

Having said that I REALLY miss my time in the village with my wife and also neighbours. My impression of normal Hungarians remains VERY positive.
Really a shame in a way, but honestly finances remain important and I took my decision. (Also not too bad, one good life change for another). I was just worried.

cdw057 wrote:

All I have left Hungary for a number of reasons, me being egoistic I have to admit largely financially.
Good opportunity to sell property at a good (perhaps still too low) price, but fine.

What is annoying are all these handouts by Orban, family, retirees (Hungarian born), companies (I did not get any). Somebody has to pay and certaintly the expats will not get any I think, Perhaps I will return, but for medium term I think Hungary will have a financial issue.

Having said that I REALLY miss my time in the village with my wife and also neighbours. My impression of normal Hungarians remains VERY positive.
Really a shame in a way, but honestly finances remain important and I took my decision. (Also not too bad, one good life change for another). I was just worried.

Orban is obviously trying to buy the next election.  His response to Ukraine has not been good.  He is, after all, Putin's man. 

Generally you're probably better off where you are.   Things are getting worse next door in Ukraine and it will have some effect here.   

People here are beginning to wonder about what will happen in the next days, never mind the next months.

Wondering the consequences in EU (and Hungary) will be, decisions are always difficult (very much so), but with things are going, .. Might be terrible choice to have gone to Turkey, might be VERY good. Lets see how things turn out, but initially the excessive handouts for me was really one of reasons to go, some other items might even had make my case stronger,

Perhaps Bellize might even had been better, but so far Turkey is working out fine.
I have to say that (probably like for more expats) inflation in EUR/USD is worrying.

I do have some people from Ukraine and it is sad, very sad what is happening. (also in Turkey where there are both (Russian/Ukraine) conflicts are simmering (perhaps even coming to surface).
Just a sad time (conflict/corona/inflation).

cdw057 wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't understand why you might think Hungary owes you or me anything?
In the US only those who have paid into the IRS can get a tax return.
I hardly think the economy of Hungary depends on a few thousand ex-pats to fill their coffers.
My son is a born US citizen ( Hungarian citizen as well) and he never collected his $6,000 plus or got back his last tax return for years of working and paying income taxes in the US.
He might be a fool to not push for what he is owed but he would rather keep the gov. out of his life as much as possible.
Better they owe you then youn owe them.
I never feel like Hungary owes me a thing, I am grateful they gave me national health and I'm the wife and mother of Hungarian citizens.
This is a small poor country and we from the west have a better then average lifestyle here.
I would feel a bit like a user if I got nothing but freebies without having done anything to deserve it.
Just my way of see the world.
Besides what on earth do old people need money for?
Doubt spending on the latest fashions or going clubbing is going to add one more day to our lives.
Guess everyone is raised differently. We never asked the US gov. for aid when my mother was raising 4 children alone without any outside support or child support money.
Mom thought it was best to keep the gov. out of our lives as much as possible not to ask them to raise her children for her or to give more then what she gave in.
I still try to live my life that way, take what you need and deserve but don't get in line again until everyone with less is first taken care of too.
I've been to Belize...Nice if you are wealthy otherwise it is a lower standard of living then even in Hungary.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

They still have to pay for their glasses, heating, electricity, food and wot not.   

Prices are rising really fast here.

But the reason why OV  gives them money is to buy their votes. 

A typical Fidesz voter is an older countryside person, living in a village bubble, without access to media other than government controlled TV, no Internet or mobile phone, against any changes, basic education, xenophobes, no critical thinking skills and of course, living in the past.   As we saw last time, they could buy votes with a bag of potatoes.  Very nice to have potatoes but cash goes further.

In the cities, it's younger, more educated, literate and more worldly, internationally connected people who would not vote for social injustice.

Apologies, but I think Hungary ownes me something, I run a company for many years, paid loads of VAT and supported local restaurants/shops/cigarette stamps/alcohol additional mark ups, ...
The company paid well over HUF 6 mln in taxes.

Nothing to complain as I also earned, but not being recognized of being impactedby Corona is frustrating (my clients were in Western Europe (no negative impact (if any (transport) positive).
I tried to argue the case, but no success.

I will keep this on file for reference in the future, but a bit frustrated, I was perhaps even more than others impacted by things.

Still I live Hungarians, just not the way I have been treated (I have no income whatsover, I can get around, but being resident for so many years, ..)
I did not apply for any social un-emloyment and I did not intend to, but a recogniation would have been nice. (not more then that though).

Admittedly having a company in Turkey would be a nightmare so I do not even start of thinking about it.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

They still have to pay for their glasses, heating, electricity, food and wot not.   

Prices are rising really fast here.

But the reason why OV  gives them money is to buy their votes. 

A typical Fidesz voter is an older countryside person, living in a village bubble, without access to media other than government controlled TV, no Internet or mobile phone, against any changes, basic education, xenophobes, no critical thinking skills and of course, living in the past.   As we saw last time, they could buy votes with a bag of potatoes.  Very nice to have potatoes but cash goes further.

In the cities, it's younger, more educated, literate and more worldly, internationally connected people who would not vote for social injustice.

Yes, I suppose people need money at any age to get by on but I meant most older people don't need money for those big dreams of youth.
I'd rather of course be worried about how to invest then how to buy my next meal.
Just also meant money in the end doesn't matter all that much.

cdw057 wrote:

Apologies, but I think Hungary ownes me something, I run a company for many years, paid loads of VAT and supported local restaurants/shops/cigarette stamps/alcohol additional mark ups, ...
The company paid well over HUF 6 mln in taxes.

Nothing to complain as I also earned, but not being recognized of being impactedby Corona is frustrating (my clients were in Western Europe (no negative impact (if any (transport) positive).
I tried to argue the case, but no success.

I will keep this on file for reference in the future, but a bit frustrated, I was perhaps even more than others impacted by things.

Still I live Hungarians, just not the way I have been treated (I have no income whatsover, I can get around, but being resident for so many years, ..)
I did not apply for any social un-emloyment and I did not intend to, but a recogniation would have been nice. (not more then that though).

Admittedly having a company in Turkey would be a nightmare so I do not even start of thinking about it.

We had our own small businesses in the US.
I still remember hw much it burned to send the IRS a check for over $10,000 for one quater of the year.

[Post under review]

I am not complaining, just I have an expensive style of living, I am not a vegan, I smoke, I drink, All in all very expensive (in EU).
For the part above nothing a lot of requirements, my wife is with me and she also is happy with the move (very different to change village for city life (pluses/minuses).

I can do what I want in Alanya, in Hungary cutting on expenses were needed,
Lets see how it works out (perhaps I am lucky (again))

Smoking and drinking are DEAD cheap in Hungary.

SimCityAT wrote:

I'm not doing either. 

I am wondering what could be cheap for me?

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

I'm not doing either. 

Compared to the UK and other EU countries!

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

I'm not doing either. 

Compared to the UK and other EU countries!

If they tax tea, HP sauce and Marmite, I'm sunk.

Brexit already banned smokey bacon imports. :(

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

I'm not doing either. 

I don't smoke and hardly drink either.
My big expense is vitamins.
Those customs fees are killers.

Just for comparison, a package of Marlboro (of 20 not 19) in Turkey is EUR 1.60, a litre of Jameson is EUR 25 (In Hungary price is significantly higher, let alone the UK).
What is good and sad, even in the centre going to a restaurant with starter, main, drinks (eg fresh orange juice) and tea after, EUR 15 for 2.
I have to admit in Hungary restaurants (countryside) can still be quite cheap but not as EUR 15 for 2 . I expect either bankrupcy or incredible increase.

Really a shame and I do not know any readers live close to Keszthely but
http://www.vadaskertcsarda.hu/index.php/hu/
has very good food and very well priced (for Hungary)

on the top (price, but also quality) side, I like in zalaapati
https://zoldelefant.com/etlap/
menu more limited, but food is good and so is the service

Of course loads of other restaurants around, but either too much focussed on tourists and/or of (in my opinion) in average quality.

Still especially the smoke prices are killing me in Hungary  financially(3 packages per day is a lot). Of course there is not much Orban can do, still for me apart from other reasons, smoking (and sad for Hungary to drop the taxes attached) is one of the reasons to leave (please be assured not the only reason, but EUR 15 pd makes a difference I can say).

With the restaurants mentioned if you come the first and even second visit you might be frowned upon and even get a frosty approach; however if people recognize you are a resident (in Hungary) people are open and friendly, so please give them a few tries and you introduce yourselves (people appreciate I can tell).

cdw057 wrote:

Still especially the smoke prices are killing me in Hungary  financially(3 packages per day is a lot). Of course there is not much Orban can do, still for me apart from other reasons, smoking (and sad for Hungary to drop the taxes attached) is one of the reasons to leave (please be assured not the only reason, but EUR 15 pd makes a difference I can say).

They are taxing out of existence. It's not particularly unusual.  They are doing it everywhere as it's social policy.

@cdw057
I'm not missing Hungary because I have no intention to leave.
If I go on holiday or back home to the uk I just enjoy the change.
I choose not to smoke and I'm not a regular drinker. I also prefer my own cooking so I can live a cheap and healthy lifestyle when I am at home.
As a foreigner I don't have any expectation of state handouts and I think its a good idea that some welfare support is on offer to families.
There are cheaper places to visit or even to settle but in the current climate I would advise anyone to stay put and sit this global war dance out.

@anns GOOD reply and thank you Anns

A more generic comment or question, Orban has to do something I think. Good for 4 (?) years, I think the hand-outs will stop and somebody has to pay, real Hungarian elderly no way, families with chilldren might be, ... (I do not know). Perhaps like in Netherlands you have to pay massive taxes for living (also creating some issues). But getting a tax on a propety over average is attractive (Orban has to find a balance).

Bottom line somebody has to pay (through VAT will be difficult), income taxes might be, tax on assets (perhaps could be and in my view probable, there will be loads of dedcutions (for normal people not easy).

Just my predictions (I am crazy in predictions (nevertheless please refer to my prior posts with regards to Corona))
A more generic comment or question, Orban has to do something I think. Good for 4 (?) years, I think the hand-outs will stop and somebody has to pay, real Hungarian elderly no way, families with chilldren might be, ... (I do not know). Perhaps like in Netherlands you have to pay massive taxes for living (also creating some issues). But getting a tax on a property over average is attractive (Orban has to find a balance).

Bottom line somebody has to pay (through VAT will be difficult), income taxes might be, tax on assets (perhaps could be and in my view probable, there will be loads of deductions (for normal people not easy).

Just my predictions (I am crazy in predictions (nevertheless please refer to my prior posts with regards to Corona))
- @cdw057

My 2-euro cents.....

I'm afraid Orban is going to have to borrow heavily to finance staying out of the war and also keeping the price of fuel at the pumps down. It's putting off the inevitable.   

Now he's re-elected, he'll have to introduce some austerity downstream fairly soon otherwise debt service costs will drown out any economic growth advantage.   

He could borrow more from say the IMF or World Bank  or EU but OV has burnt his bridges.  They will be pressured not to do it.  I don't think anyone is going to look kindly on HU and with Russia cut off, there's no-one to do business with.  The nuclear power station improvements won't come to fruition so no cheap electricity for Lajos and Erszi pensioners out in the countryside.

All the dictator run cum Putin circle - Belarus, China, Turkey, Serbia etc - will be pariah nations.  I cannot see anyone wanting to do too much business with Hungary. Poland gets some leverage for it's Ukraine stance.  Maybe there will be business with Azerbaijan for gas. Oil, it'll be on the open market as Russia is cut off completely by say, 2023.  The war in Ukraine could drag on for years.

HU is going to lose access to EU funds - I think about EUR 6 billion - so no cash for subsidies there.    And Hungary will play no part in reconstruction of Ukraine.  No "bonanza" there for Hungarian businesses.  That'll be  $1 trillion HU won't have a share of.   Faced with getting the cold shoulder, I suspect OV could even call a referendum on EU membership in a year.   What would he have to lose?   

Internally think a wealth tax is probably on the cards. I think he's at the limits on VAT as people will just go to surrounding countries for big ticket items and diversity of choice.   Or people who can, will think about leaving. If HU leaves the EU, I think very definitely people will head West.
Still what I saw over the last few weeks is that Orban has been very more friendly with regards to especially EU, and in a way to NATO.
What is sad only money counts, Hungary will try to be in EU for the moment that they will pay more then they get (at least 6 or 8 years)
Still Orban has a very special stance which creates some tentions, lets see what is happening over the coming 4 years (some strict measures (and taxes) are needed, where to get them (could be capital tax on homes/capital/ or even income (the latter I think not likely)
Best to direct taxes to expats (tricky, but possible).

I will see, but I am afraid (will I return or not is a question, I LOVE Hungarian people, not per se the government).
Still what I saw over the last few weeks is that Orban has been very more friendly with regards to especially EU, and in a way to NATO.
What is sad only money counts, Hungary will try to be in EU for the moment that they will pay more then they get (at least 6 or 8 years)
Still Orban has a very special stance which creates some tensions, lets see what is happening over the coming 4 years (some strict measures (and taxes) are needed, where to get them (could be capital tax on homes/capital/ or even income (the latter I think not likely)
Best to direct taxes to expats (tricky, but possible).

I will see, but I am afraid (will I return or not is a question, I LOVE Hungarian people, not per se the government).
- @cdw057

Not sure OV would be popular with severe capital gains as people are so tied up with property ownership here, especially the older generation.   

There are so many complicated ownership scenarios in the Mrs Fluffy family, with joint ownership of houses and land with uncles/aunts/cousins and various others with shares in this property and overlaps with that property and land.  It's a total muddle that's been going on for years.  It has made the entire thing unmanageable because quite simply, there's hardly any resolution.  Mainly because some of the other owners are loonies and others are too old to be able to make an informed decision.   

But then again, capital gains has taper relief (the longer you own it, the less you pay in taxes if you realise the gains - not too bad here, I think 10 years and you owe nothing if you sell).

When my FIL died, there had to be a reconciliation with a valuations on his to be inherited property between Mrs F, siblings and his current wife.   In the end it came to a monetary calculation.  It became more important to have a clean break than actually handing over or receiving something - money or land. 

As for NATO etc,  this isn't going to work.  People know OV is not playing the NATO game and his constant public appeasement of Putin is hard to swallow.  There's plenty of unfinished EU business as well.   Putin will have given away the oil/gas to OV because he knew he'd have him under control for many years.   I think the last Putin deal was 15 years.  We don't know the details but it would have been interesting if OV could sell on spare gas/oil elsewhere.   It could be a real money spinner.