Digital Nomad Visa Migrante Web

01/07/23 @Obirije.  Once you have your CRNM, your wife should be able to apply for a VITEM XI visa to join you.  I doubt very much that she'll be able to do it on the basis of your approval being published in the DOU, but you can confirm with the Consulate General in Lagos.  I'm not sure whether the Brazilian Embassy in Abuja has a Consular Section, but if you're closer to Abuja, you could check with them if they do.

Thanks @abthree for your quick response, the Consulate General in Lagos don't have VITEM XI as a visa option yet which was why I went through the residency route and apply directly on Migrant Web when I entered Brazil with a temporary visa.

Would my CRNM be given immediately after the appointment with PF or after the CRNM card is ready for pickup?

01/08/23 @obirije.  A CRNM has to be picked up in person at the Polícia Federal, preferably by the applicant, but if that's impossible, by an agent who has a power of attorney, a "Procuração" legalized at a cartório, that allows the agent to act on the candidate's behalf.

CRNMs are prepared in Brasília and forwarded to the PF office that requested them.  Prior to the pandemic, CRNMs were available at the PF office about a month after approval.  That was totally disrupted during the pandemic, but seems to be getting back to normal.  When yours will be available depends on what office you're working with.   If they're not picked up in a reasonable time, they're returned to Brasília, and the approval may be canceled. 

Once you have your CRNM, the Consulate General in Lagos should be willing to process a VITEM XI for your wife:  a spouse is permitted to join a legal resident to live in Brazil.  Without the CRNM, I doubt that the Consulate will accept the publication of your approval in the DOU as sufficient proof, but if that's all you have, you should certainly ask.

Once again, thank you @abthree, I'm grateful for the replies.

Are any of the digital nomads on here self-employed, I teach online and work for myself, I was wondering what you would need to do to prove this for the application, the only thing I can think of is to get a letter from my accountant, I don't have an entity as such.

Hey everyone! I'm currently in Brazil and trying to apply for a residency as a digital nomad.

I have two questions for now:

1) My lawyer here in Brazil said that I need apostilles for basically everything. Do I really need them for the letter from my employer and bank statements? My employer says that it's not a typical situation to get an apostille for this letter since I'm an individual contractor and the company is fully remote (registered in the US). For the bank statements it just seems like an extra headache and I've never heard that anyone was doing a notarized copy and apostille on the bank statements.

2) Birth certificate is the only option? I sent mine back to the country of residence, but they said that the certificate is old and they can't read the stamp, therefore can't apostille it. The only way for me is to go back to the country of residence in person and redo the birth certificate, unfortunately I can't do it.

I heard that the certificate of my parents is enough instead of the birth certificate, I've already got one from the consulate of my country here in Brazil along with the criminal check, and they also said that it doesn't need to be apostilled since it's been issued here. So, does the parents certificate work?

01/20/23 @larnelar. Welcome!  The Polícia Federal can demand whatever apostilles they want, and applicants have to provide them. That said, your attorney's job is to talk the PF into exercising flexibility in cases where it's warranted, not to just repeat to you anything they say. That's what should be happening here.

With respect to your employer's letter and your bank statements, if they're not notarized, then there's nothing to apostille. An apostille is an official confirmation of an official act: the notary's seal confirming that s/he reviewed the document is such an official act that can be apostilled; a private letter or bank statement is not. The requirement for a birth certificate is principally to provide official evidence of your parents' names: if you have another document that serves the same purpose, then your attorney should be trying to convince the PF to accept that.

If the information in your profile is reliable and you are a Russian, your government has provided you with an enormous potential advantage in this situation. Whatever your feelings about the current war (and they're totally irrelevant here, so there's no need to discuss them), if you are required to go home for more documents, there is a serious danger that you will not be allowed to leave again, and may well be drafted and sent to Ukraine. Your attorney should be pushing this narrative in all discussions with the Polícia Federal, in my opinion.

Best of luck to you!

@abthree Thank you so much for the explanation!

So if the letter from the employer is notarized, but not apostilled, could it work? I'm talking with our HR and she says that it's "not a typical situation" to apostille the letter, because I'm not really an employee, I'm an individual contractor with the endless contract, I'll try to talk more with them, but I have a doubt that they will do anything besides notarizing it.

Yes, as you mentioned, returning back to Russia is not an option, so it complicates things.

You mentioned that my lawyer needs to explain these things to Policia Federal, but at which stage? After the application is sent and if they will have any questions for me?

01/20/23 @abthree Thank you so much for the explanation!
So if the letter from the employer is notarized, but not apostilled, could it work? I'm talking with our HR and she says that it's "not a typical situation" to apostille the letter, because I'm not really an employee, I'm an individual contractor with the endless contract, I'll try to talk more with them, but I have a doubt that they will do anything besides notarizing it.

-@larnelar

You're welcome.

There may be issues with your documentation, so you should work out a strategy with your attorney for preparing your application and for your interview with the PF, and your attorney should go to the interview with you.

Show your attorney the actual Resolution, especially Article 4, here:

https://www.in.gov.br/web/dou/-/resoluc … -375554693

And also, the official guidance published by the CNIg, here:

https://portaldeimigracao.mj.gov.br/ima … TUGUES.pdf

https://portaldeimigracao.mj.gov.br/ima … INGLES.pdf

It should be noted that the only "legalization" -- apostille -- specifically required in the regulations is for the birth certificate/proof of parentage. As discussed above, the PF may require more, but they also may be willing to be flexible, understanding that going home isn't feasible for you.

If your employer is in the United States, there are businesses there for obtaining the right apostilles. You could contact one of these companies, find out the best way to get the notarized letter apostilled, and arrange for the letter to be sent to the company by your employer, and then expressed to you with the apostille. It will be expensive, but it could work. If your employer is in another country, I don't have any suggestions.

If your attorney insists that s/he can't help you unless you return to Russia to obtain additional documents, I think that it's time to get a second legal opinion from a different attorney.

@abthree The problem is that my attorney says that the whole process is online and she won't have a chance to speak with anyone to explain anything. Is there another way of applying in person? I'm sorry if it's very basic question, but there is either not enough information, or it's controversial, But all sources say that if I'm already in Brazil I need to go to the Migranteweb system/website and apply there.

01/21/23 @larnelar. Your question is a very logical one. Apply on MigranteWeb, and if your application is kicked back for something you can correct, correct it and resubmit. If it can't be corrected, you and your lawyer are going to need to go talk to the PF in person. It's not like they lock the doors to the Estrangeiros office.  If she tells you that it's "impossible", get another opinion.

@abthree Thank you again. I will try to find another attorney, I also have a local friend/colleague, who will probably be able to go with me to PF. Before that I'll collect all the documents and apostilles that I can and we'll see what happens :)

01/22/23 @larnelar.  Good luck -- please let us know how it goes.

Hi @abthree, I hope this message meets you well, I was able to sort out PF and they said I would wait 2 months before getting CRNM card (Which means only then would I be able to process a family re-union visa for my wife correct?).

My major challenge now is, I can't still use my CPF to do anything major in Brazil, most especially buying a car.

I heard it takes 1 year after CPF is created for it to be able to boost ones credit rating. I wonder what other ways this could be faster.

I discussed declaring tax and it was interesting how its possible I may be paying a huge percentage even if I was not working for a Brazilian or relating to a Brazilian entity.

My question is, even though I receive my earning through TransferWise will I be liable to pay tax on them now that I have a DN residency?

What will happen if I don't declare tax at all for the duration of the 1year residency will I be liable for anything?

FYI I work remotely for a US based startup company.

03/14/23 @Obirije.  Glad that it seems to have worked out for you.  Do I understand correctly that the PF have accepted the application for your Authorization for Residency, and have told you that you'll receive your CRNM within two months?  If that's so, then you received a "Protocolo", a document that you may be able to use (with your passport, of course) as a temporary ID until you have your CRNM.

Did you ask the PF whether you had to wait until your CRNM to apply for a family reunion visa for your wife?  What did they say?

I don't know about buying a car right now, especially if you don't have a Brazilian driver's license.  Maybe someone else here will be able to give you their thoughts.

With respect to taxes, a lot will depend on your overall tax status.  Brazil is very good about not engaging in double taxation, so if you're paying income tax on your earnings in the US, Brazil will probably charge you some, but not very much.  If you're not paying income taxes anywhere else, you will owe income tax in Brazil after you've lived here six months.  So you have some time to find an accountant that you can trust to work on tax planning with you.

@abthree As always, thanks for responding, yes I got the Protocol but I was not able to as PF about applying for family-reunion visa for my wife yet. I may just wait for the CRNM to be out as a safe option.In terms of buying a car, I am already in the process of getting my drivers licence.For the tax issue, I was not paying anywhere else, does this mean I have to start paying now ? (I was in Brazil last year for more than 6 months under the refugee status) or now that I have the digital nomad residency this January, the 183days (https://www.globalnomad.guide/digital-n … vitem-xiv/) starts counting from January and I don't have to pay until the next 183days after which I would start paying?

Hi all

I'm resident of Massachusetts in the US but have been living around the world on tourist visas for last few years.

Does background check have to be FBI or is a state police background check (we have CORI in MA) sufficient?

Do I have to do the application through the consulate in Boston (never replies to emails) or can I do it from any consulate or embassy? If I have that flexibility anyone have any suggestions regarding an efficient one?

Thanks for any advice

03/20/23 @marcotenore.  Welcome!  It has to be the FBI Background Check.  If you're physically in Massachusetts, I think that the Brazilian Consulate General in Boston uses the web-based application platform that most of them do;

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado- … nformation

If you're currently living in another jurisdiction, you can probably apply at the Brazilian Consulate responsible for the area where you are.  If you're outside the United States, however, you may need to have apostilles affixed to your documents.

You can also come to Brazil on a tourist visa/visa waiver and apply to the Federal Police here.  To do that, though, your documents will require apostilles, as well as Sworn Translations that meet the requirements of Brazilian law.

@abthree As always, thanks for responding, yes I got the Protocol but I was not able to as PF about applying for family-reunion visa for my wife yet. I may just wait for the CRNM to be out as a safe option.In terms of buying a car, I am already in the process of getting my drivers licence.For the tax issue, I was not paying anywhere else, does this mean I have to start paying now ? (I was in Brazil last year for more than 6 months under the refugee status) or now that I have the digital nomad residency this January, the 183days (https://www.globalnomad.guide/digital-n … vitem-xiv/) starts counting from January and I don't have to pay until the next 183days after which I would start paying? -@Obirije@abthree, if you don't mind have you had a chance to read my reply?

03/22/23 @abthree, if you don't mind have you had a chance to read my reply?
-@Obirije

Hi, sorry, I missed the question at the end.  I don't have an answer, though:  I'd be guessing.   I doubt that you have much exposure from your time as a refugee, but now that your status has changed and you're working, you probably should find an accountant sooner rather than later, and aim for an initial discussion before April 30.

@abthree Appreciate, will do just that.

Has anyone renewed their digital nomad visa? If yes, I'd be very interested in hearing about the process and how difficult it was. Thanks!

Hi there,

Currently I am in Brazil and have all the right documents + apostilles. I am on my VOA and am a Dutch citizen. Now the government website says that I have to start my application using the MigranteWeb. The problem is that I cannot log in without a CPF, and I don't have one. Any advice? Do I go to the federal police? What do I do?

Thanks!!

04/13/23 @mennodolman.  Hi!  You can get a CPF at any Post Office.  Make sure to have your passport with you.

@abthree thanks for the quick reply. This will be instant? Or will it take time to process?

@abthree This is what I just read:

Here are the steps on how to get a Brazilian CPF in Brazil.

1. Go to any post office (Correios) and tell the attendant you want to create a CPF. Show the necessary documents and pay the R$7,00 fee (Brazilian reais). The attendant will give you a payment receipt, keep it. You will need it for the next step.
  2. Go to the Receita Federal and tell the attendant that you want to create a CPF and that you have been to the post office before. Show the payment receipt that was given in the Correios and the passport. CPF will be issued and you will get it in a printed paper.

That means that it won't be instant? And another party (Receita Federal) is involved. What is your experience with this?

04/13/23 @mennodolman.  In my case some years back, I went directly to the Receita Federal, and it was issued on the spot.  Sounds like it still is, with the receipt from the Post Office.

@abthree Valeu, I will go there tomorrow because the Receita Federal closes very early. Thanks for you help!

• In 2020, while registering my marriage, I went to the post office to get cpf but they told me that they won't make it for foreigner/Gringo and asked me to visit regional recita federal office with a advocate and all your documents (Passport, Visa, Entry Card, and Consular Card (if you have). I paid R$150 to the advocate and he gave me cpf without visiting RF at my house.

@abthree Good evening! Wanted to let you know that my Digital Nomad residence application has been approved and published! Thank you for all the advices.

Wanted to ask one question if you don't mind. I'm not sure how to schedule an appointment in Policia Federal. I found a step by step guide, but it looks like it's outdated because they changed something on the PF website. Right now there are only options like student visa, refugee appointment, etc. I messaged PF to their email, but there is no answer. Last time I messaged them about how to schedule an appointment to extend my stay for 3 more months they just told me to come without scheduling anything, maybe this time it's the same? :)

04/24/23 @larnelar.  Congratulations!  If your approval has been published then your CRNM is probably ready, so there's no harm in going by the PF office to check.  If it isn't, they'll probably tell you when to come back.

Hi guys, I have a golden tip for you when you are applying through the Migranteweb system in Brazil:

First you need a CPF, which is fairly easy to get. You can find it here in this forum.

After that you can log in into the Migranteweb system. For 'Tipo de Autorização' click 'Residência'. For 'Área de Atuação' it looks like you can only choose of 5 different options. This is not the case! The scrollbar only shows when you actually scroll in the specific box with the options... If I knew this earlier then it would have worked. Choose 'OUTRAS ATIVIDADES SEM VÍNCULO EMPREGATÍCIO'. For 'Amparo Legal' choose 'RESOLUÇÃO  45/2021'

For me it looked like it wasn't going to work since I didn't know you could scroll and it didn't give me the right option... I had to leave the country and now I am trying it from Buenos Aires. So yeah..

Hope this helps,

Menno

@marcotenore afaik, the background check can be a state check. It should state this on the consulate page for your region. You do have to apply via that consulate (or from within Brazil if you're here on a tourist visa). I had been living in Puerto Rico (PR) and used a background check from them, which is online and free. The Miami consulate covers PR, so this worked out for me.

04/30/23  @marcotenore afaik, the background check can be a state check.
-@acpr

Strangely, this turns out to be true, at least in part.  There is a discrepancy at the moment among Brazilian Consulates regarding criminal background checks.

As of today (04/30/23), the following Brazilian Consulates General in the United States are accepting local police clearances as well as FBI Background Checks:

• Boston
  • Hartford
  • Los Angeles
  • Miami

These Consulates General continue to only accept FBI Background Checks:

• Atlanta
  • Chicago
  • Houston
  • New York
  • San Francisco
  • Washington, DC

Websites of Consulates on both lists have been updated recently, so it's impossible to say what the policy is going to be.  Make sure that you follow the policy of your own Consular District in requesting your visa.

@abthree Hi, how do I prove to the consulate that the Digital Nomad residency allows room for family re-union?

It seems to be an issue now when applying for family re-union visa for my wife.

08/15/23 @abthree Hi, how do I prove to the consulate that the Digital Nomad residency allows room for family re-union?
It seems to be an issue now when applying for family re-union visa for my wife.
-@Obirije

You could try sending your wife a Authenticated Copy of your CRNM, both sides, to present to the Consulate.  The final decision is up to them, though.

Can anyone who renewed their digital nomad visa share what happens at the Policia Federal interview once the renewal application has been approved?  Thank you

@sfcastro I don't know if this depends on the location, or if it has changed in the last year; but Policia Federal appointments for this kind of applications in Sao Paulo is just delivering your documents, giving your fingerprints and having your photo taken.

I remember the only conversation being Bom dia and Obrigado, so I wouldn't call it and interview, they were not even interested in any small talk : )

More details for SP (Lapa):

It's good to be there 45 mins before your appointment, they start taking people inside half an hour before. First someone takes your printed "Dados de Agendamento" document and then show you inside. If all seems fine, a regular photo for entering the building will be taken, and then you will continue to "Triagem" to have another check to your documents before being given a Queue number, and then go to the 3rd floor for the real deal.

On the third floor you wait at least an hour or two, if you are not Preferencial. Then when your number comes up, your documents are scanned, photo taken,  fingerprints recorded etc. This is all of the "interview", but you should not leave after this point, just back to the same waiting area. I have seen people leaving at this point thinking they are done, understandably after waiting for so long, but there is another step.

After around an hour, someone will call your name this time, they will give you back all your documents, including the Protocolo print out which will serve your ID until you get your residence card.

Please triple check every document you need to bring, being even unnecessarily cautious, as the only print shop in walking distance to this building charges R$ 10 per page, such a shameful practice.

Afterwards, you can check online if your card is printed and then go there to pick it up when it's ready (no appointment needed for this stage in Lapa)

@orlandocolon7

Hi, when you say the process was online, which site did you access to do this; am having trouble getting to to the correct website to proceed.

Also, sounds like they didn't ask for fingerprints with the criminal record check?

rsvp,

Thanks!

B.

@abthree Unfortunately,  I got information from Policia Federal in São Paulo, that the digital nomad residency cannot be used to process Family Re-union visa, because its a temporary residency, only permanent residencies can apply for family re-union visa.