Looking For Accountant Familiar with Canadian and Dominican Tax Laws

I'm wondering if there are any Canadians who own property in the DR and have an accountant they trust when it comes to filing taxes in both the Dominican and Canada.

I'm in the process of purchasing a property in the DR and will need someone to guide me through the tax implications and help to file taxes if I decide to rent it out or put the property in a Dominican corporation.

My current accountant in Canada is amazing with Canadian taxes but knows nothing about the Dominican or owing property in it (corporation or not).

Thank you in advance.

I have a couple of friends with  business here and in Canada, let me ask them for you.

I own property in the DR not in a LLC and pay no taxes on it as its under the investment threshold and thus pay no taxes.  Your lawyer in the DR will be able to advise you.

Great question and I am in the same boat! Curious to where did you end up purchasing, area wise and type and Have a contact that does/manage AirBnB rentals and can provide that as well. I'd be looking for accountant and immigration advice.

Thanks.

Immigration advice many of us recommend Lishali Baez . Her phone and WhatsApp +1 809-860-1231

Still waiting for info on accountant

I wouldn't bank on finding an accountant versed in both Dominican and Canadian tax rules! Find an expert in each and use them separately! Unless you have a really complex setup, only one set of tax laws will apply to any given property/income.

@planner Were you able to get any information on the accountant?

@Canbrit  Hi, here is the information about Tax laws at Dominican Republic 

As of 2019, Property tax is based on the cadastral value of the property as determined by the government, usually at much less than the market value. It is levied annually at a rate of 1% on the property´s cadastral value exceeding DOP6,800,000 (US$144,681). Properties with values below the threshold amount are not taxed.
I kind of agree with ddmcghee in that Canada and the Dominican have a treaty so we don't have to pay double the tax. If you do find an expert in the Dominican I would like to know as well - we are also purchasing but would love to have more resources/experts in this area
sorry @canbrit, I cannot find anyone here with that combination

@planner Fair enough. Thank you for checking. Do you have a referral of just a a Dominican accountant? I still have some questions I would like to have answered on the Dominican side.

@frantzbeetho2 Thank you. I actually did know that part but I appreciate your input.

Do you speak spanish @canbrit?   The only one I can recommend on the dominican side does not speak English, not even a little.

@planner I only speak basic Spanish so that wouldn't be a good fit. Thank you for looking into it!

You are very welcome