Moving and language learning

Hi I recently got married to someone from Cape Verde and we are planning to move to sao vicente. Before moving I was hoping to take some language classes to learn creole from sao Vicente. If anyone has an information that could be helpful I would really appreciate it.

Thank you! :)

well, you've definitely chosen the most difficult dialect of the kriolu language to choose to learn. I lived in Mindelo for two years and it was virtualy impossible (but I had no formal teacher). Suffice it to say that after 2 years in Mindelo, I could barely speak kriolu. The problem was that they cut off the ends of most words, drop letters, join words together, pronounce letters strangely and put accents in very weird places. I just could not keep up. I then moved to Praia (for other reasons) and learned kriolu within a year and became fluent in a further 2 years.

In Mindelo, there are few formal services for teaching kriolu of São Vicente. There is one man that I am aware of who teaches kriolu formally. His name is Manuel and he is 74 years old. He charges 700 escudos per lesson. He lives in Chá de Cemetário (a neighboorhood of Mindelo). Just ask around for him. If you want his contact info, you will have to send a private message as phone numbers cannot be publised on the forum.

Good luck,

Angelo

phillytilaye wrote:

Hi I recently got married to someone from Cape Verde and we are planning to move to sao vicente. Before moving I was hoping to take some language classes to learn creole from sao Vicente. If anyone has an information that could be helpful I would really appreciate it.

Thank you! :)

For everyone's benefit, I'll share the following piece of information. The easiest way t learn Kriolu is online. There is a website called Respledent Languages which offer onlie courses in various African languages. This includes Kriolu.

You can find info on the online Kriolu courses resplendence.la/course-kriolu/  ««there. (just click on the link). They teach the kriolu dialect of Santiago which is the easiest and fastest to learn.

If you are already in Praia, there are several excellent privae«te tutors and language schools offering structured courses. You'll pay around €50 per week fo 2-3 classes per week.

In the other islands (as well as in Praia), structured kriolu classes are not offered, but you can certainly find bilingual locals who would be happy and able to help you learn krolu, but not in a structured format/setting. This infrmal approach would at least help you to learn basic words and expressions in various contexts especially if you simply walk around with such a "tutor". Just be careful not to overpay for informal help and make sure the tutor is fluent in English (if they are not, they won't be of much use and you should decline offers of paid help from such "volunteers" as you will only end up wasting your money).

Angelo

@CVAngelo Hi! I tried clicking on the link but it doesn't work. I'm not sure if it's an error or something, but is there another way I can reach this course? I'm Brazilian and I believe Kriolu wouldn't be so difficult to learn haha

@CVAngelo Hi! I tried clicking on the link but it doesn't work. I'm not sure if it's an error or something, but is there another way I can reach this course? I'm Brazilian and I believe Kriolu wouldn't be so difficult to learn haha

- @Jassuele Silva

Hi Jassuele,

Here is the >>updated link<<  resplendencela.com/course-kriolu/ for the kriolu language course.

Have fun with it!

Regards,

Angelo