Retirement to Greece

My husband is retiring and in October this year. We were thinking of going to Greece for a month this summer to try and pin down a place to retire to next year.
For retirement We are thinking Crete or the Peloponnese.  We will be looking to rent hopefully furnished close to the coast. A mid size village or town.
Any suggestions or leads to real estate companies that rent would be great fully appreciated.
Hope to see you in GREECE 🌞  soon

Tanya

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello Tanya,

Both Crete and the Peloponnese are beautiful and you won't go wrong choosing anything there. You need to make time to go to each chosen place and try to spend a few days / weeks there. You'll find out relatively quickly if "that's your place." I have been doing this for the last few years and have come to the conclusion that "my place" is the Kalamata area (but of course it is a subjective opinion and only expresses my personal opinion). Regarding real estate options, it is best to try "local" - either with local agencies or ask people who work in restaurants / bars. Each of them has a relative who knows someone who owns an apartment for rent. You can have pleasant surprises.

Thank you for your kind offer
We are looking to come for a month in July/Aug before my husband retires in October.
Don't think we will be staying at the same apartment for the whole month as we hope to travel around a bit seeing different locations.

Tanya

Hello

I have found Spitogatos to be a great site for searching available properties for sale or rent, they also have an app that can be downloaded.

Good Luck with your search and enjoy your retirement in the sun.

Iain

Hi, I read you post this morning and thought I was reading my own story.  My husband is also retiring this year and we are spending are holidays looking at different areas in Greece that we would be happy to move to next year.   We have a holiday booked in Kalamata and another in Tolo and also one island Kefalonia.  We did think of Crete too and have never been so if you do get chance to look around there I would love to hear your comments on it.   We are spending a long weekend in Tolo in March and hoping to see the whole area in just a few days and also to see what it is like in Greece out of the holiday season.  Good luck on your search and keep posting, would love to hear how you get on. Penny

I will certainly keep you updated on our exploits.
Where are you living now.
Take care
Tanya

Tanya,

Hi, we live in Cambridge.  Spend a lot of time looking at houses for sale all over Greece and also trying to learn Greek which is not going that well.   Where are you based now?

Penny

Hi again, I had never heard of  Kefalonia before your message. It sounds idilic. Good to see they have hospitals and good health care services, important when looking to retire there.
Do you know who I would contact to find places to rent.
Also does the Island close down completely during the winter months or are the grocery stores and such open all year.
Sorry to ask so many questions.

Tanya

I take it that's Cambridge UK because I live in London ON Canada and we have a Cambridge ON just up highway 401.
I'm originally from Liverpool 35 years ago.
We are not looking to buy because we will sell our house and that is retirement fund.
You can email me at [email protected] if you would like.
Tanya

Hello to all,
A very important aspect (related to the retreat in Greece) is to be sure that the place where you choose to spend your last years is NOT entirely intended for summer tourism! You will NOT want to live in a "holiday" village where only one store is open in winter and there are only a few permanent residents!

As a general rule, after choosing an area you like, you should go there and try to live there for a few months. It is best to do this in the cold season, because you will see / experience the "reality".
- Consider the existence of a medical center / hospital at a reasonable distance (maximum 1 hour) from your residence.
- The existence of supermarkets and wholesale centers in the area is again a big plus for your choice.
- Also, the existence of a nearby city has obvious advantages related to the possibility of spending free time and weekend socializing.

Otherwise, the choice of place is somewhat subjective and very personal. Greece is a beautiful country and there are beautiful landscapes in all areas.

Hi Tanya:
Your plans sound very similar to ours. We live just outside Toronto and my husband will retire in October 2023. We are going to be living just outside of Sparti. I'd be interested to hear what you think of Kalamata when you visit. We've also stayed in Tolo. It was during tourist season and only for 3-4 days. However, we didn't need to source groceries, etc. so I wouldn't know what the area is like in the off season. I would think the distance to Athens is a positive - not too far a drive to a main city centre would be helpful for healthcare, visitors, etc.

Gem