1st timer traveling to Vietnam - several questions please

I have researched and find conflicting information - I am a US citizen, I would like to travel to Vietnam in March or April - but want to know - am I able to get a tourist visa (up to 30 day stay) now?

When I go I will be traveling alone - flying into Ho Chi Minh City then traveling to Vung Tau and on to Phuoc Buu in the Xuyen Moc District and then possibly on to Nha Trang (provided I don't stay in Phuoc Buu)

1st question - I am relatively smart - should I be in fear for my safety?

2nd question - If I am invited to a families house - should I be reluctant to accept?

Please, any information is apprpeciated

Harry Pearl wrote:

I have researched and find conflicting information - I am a US citizen, I would like to travel to Vietnam in March or April - but want to know - am I able to get a tourist visa (up to 30 day stay) now?

When I go I will be traveling alone - flying into Ho Chi Minh City then traveling to Vung Tau and on to Phuoc Buu in the Xuyen Moc District and then possibly on to Nha Trang (provided I don't stay in Phuoc Buu)

2nd question - If I am invited to a families house - should I be reluctant to accept?

Bad news, good news.

No, you cannot get a general tourist visa at this time.

Only a tourist visa connected to a very strict tour group where your itinerary and lodging and meals are all done with the tour group.

So you don't have to worry about all the other stuff.

Thank you but if you have experience to answer the other questions please do.

Harry Pearl wrote:

Fear for traveling to the provinces? Doesn't make sense. I don't even know if the intercity buses are running yet. Fear of covid? Bandits? You know that violent crime is very minimal here.

Harry Pearl wrote:

Doesn't make sense either. What scenario? Another fear for safety? Fear of  making a cultural mistake?

Harry Pearl wrote:

Safety here is no worse than England, Australia. Keep your personal valuables secure and you should be fine. Like anywhere, I'd something seems too good to be true then err on the side of caution.

Invitation to locals homes is fine, mostly Vietnamese are very welcoming and friendly. Of course at some point you probably end up returning the gesture, but then that's the same in most countries

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Harry Pearl wrote:

Bad news, good news.

No, you cannot get a general tourist visa at this time.

Only a tourist visa connected to a very strict tour group where your itinerary and lodging and meals are all done with the tour group.

So you don't have to worry about all the other stuff.

Harry Pearl wrote:

I agree with what everyone else has written about safety in Vietnam.

Most reports about any increased criminal activity over the last few years have revolved around pickpockets and fanny pinchers.

I consider it a great honor to be invited to the house of a Vietnamese citizen, and I've never felt unsafe doing that.

If you are feeling overly cautious about food that's going to be offered, one suggestion is to mention up front that you are a vegetarian.

Many Vietnamese people who are not vegetarians will cook vegetarian food occasionally, so it shouldn't be an inconvenience for them.

But I believe that around the world, this issue of safety revolves primarily around your behavior and not the behavior of people in the host nation.

So if you are a person who likes to drink a lot in public or do illegal drugs or hang out in shady massage parlors, you will increase the chances of experiencing a dangerous situation.

Harry Pearl wrote:

It's a land of thieves, but they rarely attack foreigners, except some Junkies, be careful on night, some can do an accident with your motorbike to take it.

They don't invite strangers.
If they tell you "my friend, my friend", it means they want your money.

Hmmm..If you're coming from good ole US of A, the epicenter of serial killers then why worry? :-) Kidding aside, use common sense just like any other major metro areas in the world, well except perhaps Singapore. Greater chance of getting your pocket picked in HCMC than in Hanoi, IME.

I smell a troll!

colinoscapee wrote:

I smell a troll!

Normally I might agree, but if you're referring to the previous post, I went to his profile and expanded it to read from his first introduction.

He says he left Saigon in 1975 and is interested in coming back and being licensed as a physician.

Probably has some good insight, similar to Ciambella, even if his sense of humor is similar to some of our favorite trolls.

Not really a fan of sarcasm from someone I don't know - thank you to those offering simple input based on experience.  I don't drink or do drugs so I don't think I will worry about being in the wrong places. . .I thought the same - I would be honored and inclined to accept an invitation to a family's home. 

Common sense and good judgement always . . .but learning to be a wiser man doesn't hurt!

Thanks to all!

Harry Pearl wrote:

I came here 3+ years ago on my own, I stayed in an apartment block and within days was invited to join parties on the roof area, I was also invited to staff parties the only westerner to be asked.

Being 58 when I arrived I was treated like the friendly uncle and they took me out to have food and karaoke, the manager even gave me a ride to go get bedding and she got me a discount, they treated me with respect and always had a laugh and joke even though we had to use google translate.

So all that said, if you are willing to be open and join in but not crazy with your money so your not targeted as a stupid westerner chances are you will be 99% safe.

Having said that if you flash the cash and start buying everyones company expect certain "Ladies" to latch on to you, my advice is anyone who wants to sit on the side of the road eating places with you drinking Tiger or 333 is probably not after your money, if they want a western style resturant and wine plus expensive cocktails your probably an easy target for them.

The only times I have been invited to peoples homes/wedding is through my girlfriend then I'm the honoured guest it's unusual for a random westerner to be invited into a VN home as most can not speak english so would be a tough time for them one on one like that, its different than a company party or wedding etc.

On a 30 day holiday moving around I doubt you will be in that situation as your just another tourist to them sat in a bar or resturant etc.

Vietnam is a great place to come and look around there is crime but the Gov has a hard line against anyone that does anything violent against westerners, that said you can get your phone, camera, bag snatched if waving it around next to the road for some lucky ganster to snatch, same with walking around markets etc, being highjacked and sold for a ransom your probably safe from that.

colinoscapee wrote:

I smell a troll!

Trying not to stray too far from the OP's topic, I'm not sure which of my statements above was considered as trolling but I assume it was about the serial killer. Let me explain my tongue-in-cheek statement. A few years ago I had the chance to provide medical care to a couple of much less notorious incarcerated serial killers which piqued my curiosity about the prevalence of serial killers. I googled the country which has the highest number of serial killers and you already know the answer. I chuckled back then since the statistics did not answer several important questions but that's another unrelated topic. IMO the statistic for violent crimes is much lower in Asia than several of US large metro areas.  Heck, living in the suburb of Houston for many years and I would not go to a few areas of Houston at night. It's the price of freedom, imo.

In my experience Vietnam is generally very safe.

Common sense prevails HP, you will be safe and welcomed with the lovely sense of humour of the VN people. Learn and respect their culture, especially wrt the aged. Enjoy the astonishing food, amazing scenery and shopping. Carry hand sanitiser with you and use it frequently when handling money. Stay hydrated and wear robust comfortable foot wear. Maybe stay clear of the raw oysters and river fish and if crossing the road, dont hesitate, keep moving

mikeymac wrote:

Common sense prevails HP, you will be safe and welcomed with the lovely sense of humour of the VN people. Learn and respect their culture, especially wrt the aged. Enjoy the astonishing food, amazing scenery and shopping. Carry hand sanitiser with you and use it frequently when handling money. Stay hydrated and wear robust comfortable foot wear. Maybe stay clear of the raw oysters and river fish and if crossing the road, dont hesitate, keep moving

The best advice I have heard in awhile. -  my early days in Saigon, say circa 1999 - I would always wait by side of the road to cross when I thought it was safe.  One day, a man older than me, and I was fifty, grabbed my arm and started dragging me across - it was like the parting of the seas, a thousand motorcycles would just slide around us like fish in a school.   After many "Cam On's "  I decided to sit and share a beer with him, turns out he spoke a little English having worked for the US during the war.  The more we talked, the more he remembered.  Once my lady met him, we got to be friends, and a year later, we assisted in his getting a license and he was hired by Vina-Sun Taxi..........Pure Karma.