Working as an English Teacher in Baden Wurttemberg Germany

Hi,

I am an EU national with a Bachelor's and a Master's degree in English and a PgCert in Vocational Education. I have been teaching English at a Vocational College for 7 years and have taught in language schools for 2 years with my degrees and TEFL.

I will be moving to Germany in summer and I already know public schools are not possible for me since I do not have a C2 in German and am not qualified to teach two subjects.

Does anyone have any experience with applying for teaching jobs in private schools? Is it difficult without the German Staatexam and does anyone know how I can look for a vacancies? Do I need to apply directly with all private schools or can I register at a job centre?

Any feedback on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Most private schools (with the exception of international and elite schools) are controlled and subsidized by the state, so I expect the requirements to be the same.
And the German requirement makes sense there: How would you teach kids English without being able to get your message across or understand their questions?
There is a central job placement system for public schools, but not for private ones.

Agreed with the response just above. You could however pursue the language schools route instead. However, there is no shortage of English-teachers for those as well.

For language schools or Volkshochschule for example one does not need the same credentials. Or one can do private tutoring or some companies even offer language lessons to their employees.

Dear Nadya,

although you do not meet the requirements for German schools, you also might have a chance to teach at one of the International schools in Germany. They have other recruitment requirements. You can find almost all schools here and maybe one is near to your future home: https://www.international-schools-datab … ry/germany

Have a good start in Germany