New members of the Spain forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

@Julien

Hello I'm Darius. Currently living in Southern California, but am moving to Spain in January of next year.

After 4 years in Marbella my husband and I (gay couple) have moved to Malaga and are starting the process of trying to meet new people.  Without a doubt this is the hardest thing about moving.  We are professionals in our early 60s.  I am full gringo, but working on my Spanish, and my husband is from Uruguay so Spanish is his first language.  We are looking for couples  of all ages and sexes, [straight, gay men, lesbians, gender fluid, etc...] for dinners, theater, drinks, chilling on the beach or a day wandering the Spanish countryside.

Looking forward to meeting a nice mix of people to enlarge our social life now that we live in Malaga.

Thanks,

js

My name is Joanne, I am a retired Paramedic from Canada (working driving tours busses as a retirement gig at the moment- started in May of this year ;P )
I am going to be do a whirlwind morocco/Portugal/Spain/S. France whirlwind 6 week trip starting in early September, with some idea to looking at spots for Potentially moving there in the future.   I am sort of leaning toward the area between Valencia and Girona at this point (I want near the ocean, not too hot, little/no snow, reasonable rental costs)
My plan is to rent something for 2-3 months next year once I narrow it down and see how I like the idea.
Where are some places people love/dislike and why?  Suggestions for areas I might not have considered?

Hi

My name is Cynthia from Victoria BC.  My husband and I moved to San Juan Alicante and we love it here!!  It's the perfect size of a town and the people are friendly and helpful.  I can recommend it as a place to stay if you are not wanting to live in a really large town.  The restaurants and stores all have what we need and the beach and the setting is breath taking!!

Good luck with your search and let me know if you have any questions.

cheers,

Cynthia
Hello Cynthia,

Welcome to expat.com!

Thank you for the nice presentation1f60e.svg

You are more than welcomed to check and engage in active/recent discussion on the Spain forum.

I'm sure other members will greatly appreciate the help you can provide.

Cheers,

Yoginee
Expat.com team
@tangopapa4658

Hey Tangopapa!
I was in Sitges this summer for 7 weeks and bought an apartment there with my husband! I closed on it the day before I had to come back to NYC. We had been considering a purchase there for years and I have family in Barcelona. This summer was the best! I made a bunch of new friends, took pottery classes in RIbes, swam 2x a day, and bought a place near plaza Espana. ! Our plan is to go when we are off from work (we are not always off at the same time) and eventually move out there. If you havent yet joined the facebook groups you should!
Hi,
I am Yves. I am happy to join expat.com
We are living in France and we plan to spend more times as we can in Spain, in l'Estartit (Catalunya).
We are currently buying a rustic land. We want to install a sustainable habitat (wooden house, well,
solar, natural sanitation, ...) .
We will probably have problem with the local administration.
We have met other French people who have done that already, in this place.
For us, that is a marvellous project !

Hello all. I am Basha. I've been looking around where I want to spend the next part of my life. I spent time earlier this year traveling around Europe to get a feeling for various areas. Currently I am leaning toward Spain to settle for many reasons. I will be visiting a few areas of Spain in October that I may consider. I am here to meet others who are either moving or have made the move and to learn from each of you.

Hello Basha Jo,

Thank you for sharing your plans with us. 1f601.svg

Feel free to ask questions on the Spain forum if you have any.

I suggest you also read the Living in Spain guide for expats.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hi there!! Jose from Spain here!! I hope i can find interesting things in this forum to meet people from other places!! :)

Hello Jose,

Welcome to expat.com!

You are at the right place to meet new people1f60e.svg

Do tell us a bit more about yourself, your plans, your interests etc as this may facilitate the process of forming new bonds.

In case you have any questions, do not hesitate to create new discussions on the Spain forum.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hola everyone,

Just wanted to introduce ourselves to the expat community. We are Julie and Richard and slowly relocating to Cullera from Canada. Retiring from a hectic workplace environment, Richard an aerospace engineer and myself a personal injury law clerk,.We're looking forward to a slower pace and getting away from extreme hot and cold temperatures (60-70C degree swings between winter and summer!). It's not always cold in Canada, yesterday was 32C which is a normal temp for our area of Canada during the summer and you can bet money when it's -40C you're guaranteed blue sky. You do get used to used to it - sad but true.  Yes, Canadians are inclined to talk about the weather...it's a thing. Looking forward to temperate norms. 

Now that reality is starting to set-in with the move... we have lots to do to be sure.

Hopefully, we will meet friends in the Valencia area and share a few stories over a coffee or two.

Nous parlons français aussi.

Have a great day!

Julie

Hello Julie,

Welcome to expat.com!

Thank you for this lovely presentation!1f60d.svg

When are you planning to relocate?

In case you have any questions, do not hesitate to create a new discussion on the Spain forum.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hi all, I am from Holland but live in Barcelona. I work online as a teacher. I live since 2006 abroad. I love traveling, culture, reading and listening to books, drawing and painting (although I am not so good). I am open-minded and I am looking forward to meeting a nice mix of people to enlarge our social life.

@atahualpa54  soon i am landing in Lliria

Hello Helen Ko,

Welcome to expat.com!

Thank you for your lovely presentation.1f60a.svg

In case you have any questions, feel free to create new discussions on the Spain forum. We will be happy to help you in any way that we can!

@rdkater,

Kindly note that this thread is specifically for the introduction of new members on the Spain forum.

I invite you to introduce yourself here. It will be nice to hear some more from you1f60e.svg

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@Julien

Hello. My name is Richard Svalesen. I live outside of Dallas, Texas.  Last May my family visited the Andalusia region of Spain for 16 days  and we instantly fell in love with Spain's culture, food and people. Next year we plan on staying in Nerja for 1-2 months around the time of Residents Day. After that who knows. We may become Expats.

Hello rksvalesen,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f60a.svg

Thank you for sharing your plans with us.

Any topics you would like to discuss with other members of this forum? 1f914.svg

I highly recommend you to read the Living in Spain guide for expats.

After that, feel free to start a new thread on the Andalusia forum to ask your questions. 1f609.svg

I hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@frompetersace Hello, I am Lis from Sweden originally. My husband and I, both seniors, live since many years in Seville half the year. We also have a small finca in El Castillo de las Guardas not far from the border to Estremadura which we visit frequently. When it gets too cold or too hot we go to Sweden for some time but always longing back to our beloved part of Spain. We are not native English speakers but feel quite comfortable with the language, my husband former flying for the Swedish Royal Airforce and myself being an archeologist working for 10 yerars in Greece. This message will arrive in your mail box many months after you published your one but I did not find it until today. As you might already have all the contacts you were looking for I shall not write more here and now but if you will come back to me you will have more details. My mail address is [link moderated]. Hoping to hear from you we send kind regards, Lis

Hello lishelgesson,

Welcome to expat.com!

Thank you for telling us about yourself.1f60a.svg

I hope @frompetersace contacts you soon.

Also, do let us know how we can assist you.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hi.  We are Helen and Tom McKay getting ready to start our retirement in Alicante Spain.  We will be living in La Font.  Our move from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada will take place on October 27 and we are so excited to start our new lives there!  Our Spanish language skills are not that great and we are looking forward to getting immersed and hopefully, not become to frustrated and learn quickly.  We love to cook, drink wine, walk and hike, and are hoping to meet some expats that can help us on our journey.  Socializing is something that we don't want to put on the back-burner.

@Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl. I look forward to sharing information with everyone.

Hello,

I introduce myself Aurélie 37 years old, in a relationship for almost 20 years and mother of 3 children. We have always lived in Belgium but my partner has dual nationality (Belgian/Spanish) he has family in the Valencia community.

We plan to go live there, work there and build the continuity of our life there. Why ? because my companion feels more Spanish than Belgian.

But here is for me the language barrier is present (I understand things but impossible to speak it), it is learned you will say to me. But I'm someone who likes everything to be well organized and tied up and so that scares me a little (a lot)...

I hope to be able to find advice and steps to take to be able to come to Spain without too many administrative worries.

Have a great day

Welcome on board Aurélie !

Should you have any question, feel free to open a new topic or reach out to members on existing topics of the Valencia forum.

All the very best,

Bhavna

@Julien - Hi, I'm Hans. Came to Spain in the early 60s on an assignmemt at the, then, USAF Base Torrejon, travelled extensively various US states and lived intermittently in MI, AL, AZ. For the last 42 years I live in S.E. Spain with my Spanish wife, children and grandchildren. What I miss is a competent barber shop where I can get a decent flat top. Hopefully somebody of you folks can give me hint for my next trip to Madrid. Got my first acceptable haircut 1954 at Rhein-Main-Airbase sadly closed down 17 years ago. Thank heavens I still can enjoy AFN over the internet. You keep cool.

Hi Hans,

I don't know if this is too far away from where you are at, but try La Barbería de Marga

C. Mayor, 5, Bj, 30100 Espinardo, Murcia

868 07 44 85

Take care,

Eric

@freise found one in Ganndia no apointmend needed  38.994209%C2%B0%20%20%20-0.161150%C2%B0

also in Calpe  for 10 euro.

@bailen1 soon i am ariving in Lliria to enjoi my pension her tere is no peace my fammilie bings al there broken stuf to fix also the nabours.

@Helen Ko comming soon to Lliria (Valencia) with my ragdollcats

Hello sir how are you i want work Spain I'm from India but now my work Saudi Arabia I'm light driver it's possible work visa please ***

Hello Saleem Khan rj,

Welcome on board !

I'm afraid chances are next to impossible as there are already locals and Europeans available to do the job.

Have a look at the The labour market in Spain article to find out out why.

Regards,

Bhavna

Hellow Every0ne!!

So thankful for this post Julien! It is everything I needed..!

My name is Elena and I come from Cyprus. I only speak English and Greek. I am planning to move to Spain, preferably Malaga (but many other locations will do too) and I have so many questions about the country and no one to ask..! I am hoping that someone will read this and get back to me for a quick chat that could help me a long way..! I am currently searching for English speaking jobs and I read anything I can find online about lifestyle, cost of living, pets, culture, work permits etc. I am a certified accountant and auditor and will be moving over with my amazing yellow Labrador, Casey!!

Hopefully her and I can find some friends here, and there..!

Looking forward to become a part of the real Spanish community and experience the culture first hand..!

Bless you all, take good care of yourselves..!

Thank you.

Welcome on board Elena !

Feel free to interact on the Malaga forum to gather as much info as possible.

All the very best.

Bhavna

@MelanPerkyEnergy

Welcome to Spain!  I live just north of Barcelona if that area interests you.  I can assist you with lodging, (short or long term) bank accounts, etc. 

keep in touch!

Lex

@Lmflmf1 Thank you so much..! Will keep in mind, yes, Barcelona is also a good option..!

Hi everyone!

My name is Julie I'm French, from Nimes South of France, I have been living in Sevilla for almost 14 years (OMG 1f633.svg time is fast!!!).

I came alone in February 2009, I already knew Sevilla and spoke Spanish since I was little. My goal was to live here and find a job which has not been very easy (I did a lot of different jobs) but I ended setting up here as I wanted ! 1f609.svg

I organise stays in Seville city mostly for French visitors, I help them find accommodation, activities, guided visits...

I also work remotely for an international company.

I am married with a local and we have 2 Spanish/French kids.

I am always open to knew new people and making friends as an Expat we always are a little uprooted from family and long term friends!

Cheers!

Julie

Hello Julie,

Welcome to expat.com!

Thank you for this nice introduction!

Do not hesitate to browse on the Spain forum and to engage in more discussions.

Cheers1f60e.svg

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hi everyone!

My name is Luis, half australian and half spanish, have spent my life back and forth between Australia and Madrid, where I have been for the past 6 years.

I work as an I.T consultant and also have my own business together with my wife. We live in the center of Madrid, and know the city really well, so would be glad to meet new people coming to the city :)

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Advertising
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Closed