New members of the Portugal forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hi Corsy & Will, Welcome :)

There is a lot of useful information here, you just have to have some patience to find out.
Kind Regards 
Hi All, I'm Enrico I recently move my residence in Lisbon, hence brand new in the world of expat. Is my first time in Portugal even if for work reasons I have seen many countries in different continents at glance this country is best in class for life quality. End of last year I did retire and to be honest I'm not used to have so much spare time, surely I will get used;  world and life is plenty of interesting things to do.
All the best, ciao ES95
Hi JohnnyPT, thanks for your msg. hope to find resolution to my the questions which naturally born becoming expat. take care ES95
We are a retired couple from Canada 
We already visited Portugal couple of times
We are arriving to Portugal on June 07 until 
July07
We are staying in 
Tomar June 08-16
Coimbra June 16-23
Portimao June 23-30
Albufeiria June 30-July 06
We are interested in meeting people and
Learn about the process of getting a NIF #
Opening a bank account and renting a place
We are planning on our return to Canada
To apply for a D7 visa and return to Portugal 
By October or November 2022
Thanks for your quick response 
Leah&Assael
Hallo Leah & Assael,
If you come to Libon, pls let me know. We are retired German & Chinese, live in Lisbon since 2021, and are happy with our NHR status.
All is good and Portugal is a fantastic place as well very good people.
Keep in touch,
Chris
Hello - Expats from San Francisco, CA.  Portugal is Paradise.  We moved here in October 2019 and are enjoying our new host country, its friendly people and lower cost than California.
Hi, my name is Hannah, I'm an american looking to move to Portugal with the d7 visa! Thanks for this forum!
Hi again! I am not able to post a new topic in the forums. Is there something I need to do to be able to post? Thanks :)
Hi everyone, my name is Ellie and my partner and I are hoping to move to Portugal - either mainland or Madeira, not sure which yet. Spent three months over the winter in Funchal and loved it! We are English but currently live in Scotland. I work online (as a walking holiday advisor) so I'm hoping to qualify for a visa as a digital nomad and my partner is retired. Hoping to glean some useful information and hear about other people's stories and experiences.

@elliebennett

@aceguzinski09
Try e-residence for NIF and opening a bank account will cost another 650euros for both all online including security checks, no docs need translation or apostilled, I successfully chose this route.
Sara

@Julien  my name is Amos , am from Ghana western part of Africa , am looking for farming jobs in Portugal to do , any vacancies as such  available ???

Hello. I am Ahmed from Pakistan. I am Engineer by profession. We are family with 3 kids. I got a job offer in Lisbon, and in deciding phase whether to accept or not. If we decide to move, then we are expected to land in June/July.

[Post under review]

@Julien..hi am new here and would want to integrate with the community. My name is Martins Odia. Any job opportunities is welcome for me to settle in. Thanks

Hello!
I am currently  living in Malta  but hoping to move to Tomar by the end of the year. Green grass and trees, yippeeee1f60d.svg
@Shirley-anne Cecchini
I love the area, and move between Tomar and my work in Dubai. It's not everyone's favorite, because it is quiet compared to more tourist towns, but it has everything that you need.
It's worth exploring the towns and villages in the surroundings, as there are some surprising businesses that supply just about everything you may want!
Enjoy your time!
Good day to you all. My name is Lynda. I'm from Tampa, Florida, USA. I have been researching Portugal for a few months. For whatever reason I am drawn to retiring there. I see myself with the locals and English speaking people alike. I am interested in the community, with cobble stones, café, local shops and businesses. I am interested in learning about the culture and eating the food. I am looking to rent a single bedroom place, with some of the old architecture. Not a high rise modern.  I am still working on figuring out where?  I am open to suggestions.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Hi Lynda, Welcome :)

Places with more English speakers are not necessarily all the places you might be most interested in. Check out this link, it might help you in your research.

Forbes&InternationalLiving reports about Retirement for US citizens

Kind Regards
@Julien Hi

I currently live in England, I'm a chiropodist, I'm looking to move to Portugal, I'm not sure I even want to do chiropody any more, but I'm just wondering how easy/hard it is to move to Portugal due to all restrictions we now have in place, and to find work out there, do I need to have a job in place or means to be able to provide for myself to get a visa?

Thankyou in advance

Becky x
Hello,

My name is Michael. I am recently retired (U.S), have completed the approval process for my D7 visa, and I am actively looking for a long term (6 - 12 months) rental in the Algarve area. I am looking forward to making Portugal my permanent retirement home. If anyone can assist me in my search, that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike
Hi all

I  ( Shelagh) am British/American. Husband Keith is American. We are currently awaiting our visa interview in Washington DC so that hopefully we can move permanently to Madeira. Its been an arduous process as many of you know! Now researching best ways to ship our 179 boxes ( in storage). UPakWeShip was our direction but we are now looking at alternatives. Is some of you end up in Madeira, hopefully we can meet up.

Shelagh

@smfagan300 Hi there! Good luck for your interview! We are Canadians. We are just getting ready to start the process, but chose Madeira as well as our goal/destination. When you are there, let's stay in touch!.. So we can meet one day!.. And if it is not too much to ask, may be - occasionally- you can advice us on the pitfalls of the process :). It seems quite complicated!!! Thanks. Again, good luck! Regards, Marina

@Julien Hi

I currently live in England, I'm a chiropodist, I'm looking to move to Portugal, I'm not sure I even want to do chiropody any more, but I'm just wondering how easy/hard it is to move to Portugal due to all restrictions we now have in place, and to find work out there, do I need to have a job in place or means to be able to provide for myself to get a visa?

Thankyou in advance

Becky x
- @becky78boo

Hy Becky, Welcome :)

There are practically no covid restrictions anymore.
In your case, you will always need a visa, like D7 (passive available income).
And then, living in Portugal, you can have any professional activity you want. There is a lack of professionals in the tourism business. Chiropody  activity can be provided in good hotels, health & spa centers, or in pharmacies mainly near english speaking communities.

Please read this link:

Moving to Portugal after Brexit
(Post #7) 

Best Regards
Hello,

My name is Michael. I am recently retired (U.S), have completed the approval process for my D7 visa, and I am actively looking for a long term (6 - 12 months) rental in the Algarve area. I am looking forward to making Portugal my permanent retirement home. If anyone can assist me in my search, that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike
- @michaeleb

Hi Michael, Welcome  :)

In the Algarve it is difficult to find houses to rent during the whole year, because during the high season (June to August), prices are higher than in the rest of the year. And because of this, landlords are interested in renting those months in separate because they earn more. This happens mainly in the touristic areas. So if you look outside those hotspots, it's much easier to find a 12 months rental.

Maybe this will help you:
Renting Management Companies (Short/Long-Term Rentals)

Best Regards

Hello. I'm Konstantin. I live in Russia. In the near future, I plan to move to Portugal with my wife and daughter for permanent residence. I am looking for a job in a company that will be able to issue me an official work permit.)

Hi Konstantin, Welcome :)

Please read this:
(Post #7)
(this is for UK and all non EU countries)

You need to say what type of activity you work in, if it is technological or highly qualified, you can apply for one of these visas:

Highly qualified activity (former D3 Visa)
Startup Visa
Tech Visa

Otherwise, you will have to choose either the D7 (passive income) or the Golden Visa.

Best Regards

@JohnnyPT Thank you.)

Hello,

I currently live in NYC and am looking forward to move to Portugal by year's end. My husband and I did a 2 month scouting trip (2021-2022) in the North and then Lisbon and are really excited about moving to Lisbon. I am in the process of collecting information for VFS, but have not yet scheduled an appointment as I am trying to juggle timelines. I am hoping to take early retirement from my current job by moving to Portugal as my husband retired one year ago. Looking forward to starting the second phase of life in a new environment while making new friends and joining new communities.
Hi Rosedeats, Welcome :)

Maybe this thread will help you:

Experience sharing about Visas to Portugal (D7 & others)

There are several USA members that have already gone through this process. You can post your questions here or try to contact them through private message.

Kind Regards
@coralthunder

Hallo,

Nice to read you live in Foz. We are (Dutch members living now in Belgium ) moving in august to Foz do Arelho.  And we like to meet english speaking people in the area.
We are looking forward to our new stay  and will be happy to meet.
Hi everyone,

We are from the UK and currently in the process of applying for a D7 visa. We have our meeting in London in a couple of weeks time. Hopefully we:ve hot all the paperwork to support our application. Can anyone tell me if VFS  in London keep our passports while processing the application? (Hopefully not!)

We're halfway through buying a house near Serta in Central Portugal and would love to hear from any English speakers in the area.

Its a nerve-wracking process as we are also in the midst of selling our home in England and trying to work out timings for Visas, Removal & Shipping of our furnitur & transportation of 3 cats.
@coralthunder
Hallo,
Nice to read you live in Foz. We are (Dutch members living now in Belgium ) moving in august to Foz do Arelho.  And we like to meet english speaking people in the area.
We are looking forward to our new stay  and will be happy to meet.
- @mvdl

Welcome :)

You should contact @coralthunder by private message. His last login here & post is from January, it is likely that he will not read your message.
Hi everyone,

We are from the UK and currently in the process of applying for a D7 visa. We have our meeting in London in a couple of weeks time. Hopefully we:ve hot all the paperwork to support our application. Can anyone tell me if VFS  in London keep our passports while processing the application? (Hopefully not!)

We're halfway through buying a house near Serta in Central Portugal and would love to hear from any English speakers in the area.

Its a nerve-wracking process as we are also in the midst of selling our home in England and trying to work out timings for Visas, Removal & Shipping of our furnitur & transportation of 3 cats.
- @kayml
Welcome :)
Regarding documents and passport, maybe this will help you:
(Post #1)

(Post #4)

@Julien Thanks and hello everyone!

Josephine, a new member and a resident. Grateful for more concrete information about living in Aveiro, the good and not so good, the good neighborhoods, not in the city center and within about 5 minutes drive to city center, not isolated.  Prefer area with modern homes/ new construction and therefore good heating and cooling. I have searched sites and read the previous thread but still would welcome insights from those living in Aveiro. I am sure winter is nowhere near as cold as in New York where I live. I am looking to make Aveiro a permanent home rather than Vilamoura where I have a home. Planning a scouting trip for the area in Aug.

Many thanks.
Hi everyone,

My name is Annie. I just arrived in Portugal about one month ago. Currently, I'm living in Porto. I don't have any friends here . I'd love to make some new friends here. If you're in Porto and want to meet, hangout, and do things together. Please contact me. Thank you in advance.

Annie
@Julien Thanks and hello everyone!

Josephine, a new member and a resident. Grateful for more concrete information about living in Aveiro, the good and not so good, the good neighborhoods, not in the city center and within about 5 minutes drive to city center, not isolated.  Prefer area with modern homes/ new construction and therefore good heating and cooling. I have searched sites and read the previous thread but still would welcome insights from those living in Aveiro. I am sure winter is nowhere near as cold as in New York where I live. I am looking to make Aveiro a permanent home rather than Vilamoura where I have a home. Planning a scouting trip for the area in Aug.

Many thanks.
- @Tendosa

Hi Josephine, Welcome :)

In Aveiro you have this interesting houseboat experience:

_____

(Post #2)

(...)

Kind Regards
Hi everyone,

My name is Annie. I just arrived in Portugal about one month ago. Currently, I'm living in Porto. I don't have any friends here . I'd love to make some new friends here. If you're in Porto and want to meet, hangout, and do things together. Please contact me. Thank you in advance.

Annie
- @annie pi

Hi Annie, Welcome :)

Maybe this will help you:
How to build a social circle from scratch in Portugal

Kind Regards
@Julien

I am Adil Khan From Pakistan and I am just planning to visit Portugal , i want to spent my entire life now in Portugal, for this purpose i am just preparing my documents  to process my application. Thanks
@JohnnyPT Some great advice, I'm taking a one-year language class in Cascais starting in September. It allows English-speaking students to learn Portuguese partly by socializing with Portuguese students learning English. And they have coffee in Cascais centre as well.

Not sure whether it's allowed to mention the name here but it's ELC. Excited to start and hope to meet others doing the same!
Closed