New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mexico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mexico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Just signed up to the forum.  Long-time traveler to Mexico, and used to work in the travel industry with a tour group company. 

We (wife and 3 kids) are looking to rent a house, in a beach town, for approximately 6 months.  Interested in being in a lesser-known town to save on rent, but would like a safe, comfortable home and a town that is big enough to provide interest to long-term residents. 

Also looking for a town that does not have mask mandates...

Thank you!

Hi expats!
My name is Laura and I currently live in Queens, NY. I plan to move to Oaxaca City for the 2022-2023 school year, along with my family (husband, 10 +13 y/o daughters and a very small dog) this summer. I am a media prof. and will be on sabbatical and my husband, a middle school teacher, will be taking a LOA.
My husband and I traveled a fair amount before having kids, and we have experience living abroad: I lived in Cuba for six months and my husband lived in Denmark and Norway. Additionally, we lived in Kunming, China for a year in the early 2000's and traveled extensively in Asia.
We have so many questions about life in Oaxaca: where we should send our kids to school,  interesting neighborhoods to live in, how to go about finding an apartment (that allows small dogs), whether or not we should bring our car.... I'm eager to get all the advice I can and greatly appreciate everyone's input!
Laura

Hi,
David here in Victoria BC Canada. I'm travelling to Lake Chapala in May. Staying there for two weeks.

The wife and I are seventy-two years old. We'd like to avail ourselves of the moderate climate. Our vision is to locate long term rental housing. Our intent is to retire there full time and spend what remains of our lives.

Great to find this site.

Kind regards,
David

Hi ...My name is Jim and looking to retire in Playa del Carmen soon! Love the area. Been there several times and looking forward to not having to suffer through Canadian winters!

@Julien Hello all! 

We retired and sailed into Mexico on our sailboat in late 2019, and got hit by the COVID lockdown . When we couldn't take the heat on the coast anymore we bought a house in San Miguel de Allende, GTO. We live there about half the year during hurricane season and the rest of the time on our boat. We have TR cards and a Mexican car so we don't have to travel back to the US except to see family. We are glad to be living here! We loved the Puerto Vallarta area where we were for the first couple years and we love living in San Miguel. We are currently in Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, working on our boat and it's not our favorite place so far! But the Sea of Cortez is wonderful sailing. So far our adventure is going well and my Spanish is improving slowly. 
Welcome to ex-pat rieraney. 

I would keep my visit to that area very short, it's a rough area and not very safe. There is a good reason to not like it. Pay attention to your innate senses.
Hello my name is Gary been living in Brazil. I think of moving to Playa Del Carmen been there a couple of time. Stayed there for 5 month really like the walkable of the beach area and 5th avenue. I also like the fact it's has many of the stores and thing I can't get here in Brazil. Last time I was there were meetup groups for expats. I would also be looking to get permanent residency any suggestions where in the US. Where it might be the easiest Mexico Consulate to apply. Thank 
@NewBrazil 

Welcome to the ex-pat and the Mexican part of the forum.

You might want to explore other parts of Mexico That part of Quintana roo has been a hot cartel zone for at least a year. And now the area has massive amounts of algae flooding the beaches. It's just not a safe area currently.
So explore other areas.

I had a less stressful experience with the console in Arizona so you might want to check there for your visa. No guarantees a lot has happened since I came here and things change every day.
@djwaterhouse

Hello. Question. Why not consider Ajijic? Ajijic is quite, full of foreigner retired, and the lowest crime statistics from Chapala. Just curious.

MJ 
@Julien 
Hi Julien, 

William Thurmond, 40yrs, single.  Just moved to CDMX from Houston, TX.  I loved everything so much that after my truck was confiscated I decided to move.  Problem is I may need a job soon.  I have a degree from the Univ. of Mississippi and my background is in Energy, Oil & Gas, construction, customer service, hospitality and more.  Any info on work for expats is appreciated.  I have a 4x4 truck for labor purposes as well.  I love it here and hope I can make it work!! 
@elchipz 

A neighbor here in Chicago area that lives in Santa Fe coincidentally just mentioned that in that area of Mexico they rely on water trucks to supply their water rather than wells or pipes. 
@travellight 

Hi, do you mean Playa del Carmen is an area that has cartel concerns? Thanks
@sheehan10741 

Sorry for lack of clarity, he was referring to Oaxaca 
@Julien 

Hi Julian,

I am a 57 year old female from New Zealand originally the UK

I have applied for temp residency however, I may get turned down due to the split of my finances bank/investment's so may have to start over and wait 12 months...We also only have one Embassy in NZ so it will take months for things to be processed.

I plan to live in Oaxaca on arrival - I was going to bring my job with me and work remotely but I am planning to retire and get involved with some volunteer work - all going well once I get perm residency I will finalise my life in NZ and stay permanently in Mexico.

Great place here to be able to meet people of like mind.

Dawn

A neighbor here in Chicago area that lives in Santa Fe coincidentally just mentioned that in that area of Mexico they rely on water trucks to supply their water rather than wells or pipes.

so, about water. Years ago most cities in Mexico were said to have pretty good water then Coke and Pepsi took over, And trucks with water from Coke and Pepsi used more liters of primarily Coke-controlled water and added refrescos .or bottled sodas.  People gave up water and became addicted to sodas. There is no city without liters of coke. now people buy 4 or more liters a week.
@Julien 

Hi Julian,

I am a 57 year old female from New Zealand originally the UK

I have applied for temp residency however, I may get turned down due to the split of my finances bank/investment's so may have to start over and wait 12 months...We also only have one Embassy in NZ so it will take months for things to be processed.

I plan to live in Oaxaca on arrival - I was going to bring my job with me and work remotely but I am planning to retire and get involved with some volunteer work - all going well once I get perm residency I will finalise my life in NZ and stay permanently in Mexico.

Great place here to be able to meet people of like mind.

Dawn
- @serendipity26689

Hello Enjoy your stay here