New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mexico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mexico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Just signed up to the forum.  Long-time traveler to Mexico, and used to work in the travel industry with a tour group company. 

We (wife and 3 kids) are looking to rent a house, in a beach town, for approximately 6 months.  Interested in being in a lesser-known town to save on rent, but would like a safe, comfortable home and a town that is big enough to provide interest to long-term residents. 

Also looking for a town that does not have mask mandates...

Thank you!

Hi expats!
My name is Laura and I currently live in Queens, NY. I plan to move to Oaxaca City for the 2022-2023 school year, along with my family (husband, 10 +13 y/o daughters and a very small dog) this summer. I am a media prof. and will be on sabbatical and my husband, a middle school teacher, will be taking a LOA.
My husband and I traveled a fair amount before having kids, and we have experience living abroad: I lived in Cuba for six months and my husband lived in Denmark and Norway. Additionally, we lived in Kunming, China for a year in the early 2000's and traveled extensively in Asia.
We have so many questions about life in Oaxaca: where we should send our kids to school,  interesting neighborhoods to live in, how to go about finding an apartment (that allows small dogs), whether or not we should bring our car.... I'm eager to get all the advice I can and greatly appreciate everyone's input!
Laura

Hi,
David here in Victoria BC Canada. I'm travelling to Lake Chapala in May. Staying there for two weeks.

The wife and I are seventy-two years old. We'd like to avail ourselves of the moderate climate. Our vision is to locate long term rental housing. Our intent is to retire there full time and spend what remains of our lives.

Great to find this site.

Kind regards,
David

Hi ...My name is Jim and looking to retire in Playa del Carmen soon! Love the area. Been there several times and looking forward to not having to suffer through Canadian winters!

@Julien Hello all!

We retired and sailed into Mexico on our sailboat in late 2019, and got hit by the COVID lockdown . When we couldn't take the heat on the coast anymore we bought a house in San Miguel de Allende, GTO. We live there about half the year during hurricane season and the rest of the time on our boat. We have TR cards and a Mexican car so we don't have to travel back to the US except to see family. We are glad to be living here! We loved the Puerto Vallarta area where we were for the first couple years and we love living in San Miguel. We are currently in Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, working on our boat and it's not our favorite place so far! But the Sea of Cortez is wonderful sailing. So far our adventure is going well and my Spanish is improving slowly.
Welcome to ex-pat rieraney.

I would keep my visit to that area very short, it's a rough area and not very safe. There is a good reason to not like it. Pay attention to your innate senses.
Hello my name is Gary been living in Brazil. I think of moving to Playa Del Carmen been there a couple of time. Stayed there for 5 month really like the walkable of the beach area and 5th avenue. I also like the fact it's has many of the stores and thing I can't get here in Brazil. Last time I was there were meetup groups for expats. I would also be looking to get permanent residency any suggestions where in the US. Where it might be the easiest Mexico Consulate to apply. Thank
@NewBrazil

Welcome to the ex-pat and the Mexican part of the forum.

You might want to explore other parts of Mexico That part of Quintana roo has been a hot cartel zone for at least a year. And now the area has massive amounts of algae flooding the beaches. It's just not a safe area currently.
So explore other areas.

I had a less stressful experience with the console in Arizona so you might want to check there for your visa. No guarantees a lot has happened since I came here and things change every day.
@djwaterhouse

Hello. Question. Why not consider Ajijic? Ajijic is quite, full of foreigner retired, and the lowest crime statistics from Chapala. Just curious.

MJ
@Julien
Hi Julien,

William Thurmond, 40yrs, single.  Just moved to CDMX from Houston, TX.  I loved everything so much that after my truck was confiscated I decided to move.  Problem is I may need a job soon.  I have a degree from the Univ. of Mississippi and my background is in Energy, Oil & Gas, construction, customer service, hospitality and more.  Any info on work for expats is appreciated.  I have a 4x4 truck for labor purposes as well.  I love it here and hope I can make it work!!
@elchipz

A neighbor here in Chicago area that lives in Santa Fe coincidentally just mentioned that in that area of Mexico they rely on water trucks to supply their water rather than wells or pipes.
@travellight

Hi, do you mean Playa del Carmen is an area that has cartel concerns? Thanks
@sheehan10741

Sorry for lack of clarity, he was referring to Oaxaca
@Julien

Hi Julian,

I am a 57 year old female from New Zealand originally the UK

I have applied for temp residency however, I may get turned down due to the split of my finances bank/investment's so may have to start over and wait 12 months...We also only have one Embassy in NZ so it will take months for things to be processed.

I plan to live in Oaxaca on arrival - I was going to bring my job with me and work remotely but I am planning to retire and get involved with some volunteer work - all going well once I get perm residency I will finalise my life in NZ and stay permanently in Mexico.

Great place here to be able to meet people of like mind.

Dawn

A neighbor here in Chicago area that lives in Santa Fe coincidentally just mentioned that in that area of Mexico they rely on water trucks to supply their water rather than wells or pipes.

so, about water. Years ago most cities in Mexico were said to have pretty good water then Coke and Pepsi took over, And trucks with water from Coke and Pepsi used more liters of primarily Coke-controlled water and added refrescos .or bottled sodas.  People gave up water and became addicted to sodas. There is no city without liters of coke. now people buy 4 or more liters a week.
@Julien, My husband and I are considering moving from Northern California to Rosarito or Ensenada.  We like the weather, he likes golf.  We have a German Shepherd and an Rat Terrier so we need some yard space.  We want a single story in an expat area as I only have a smattering of high school Spanish.  We'd like to get permanent residency.  We're both retired.  I was wondering how you find health care there?  I'm 70 and he's 61.  Also, how do you file taxes? 

Any other advise would be appreciated.  Obviously we need to visit the areas.  We're thinking of renting for a while to take time to learn the area before buying.

New here......we are looking to spend some time here. San Miguel de Allende has been on my mind for years. Have spent time in Mexico but never actually lived on land. That was many moons ago. Questions for you guys are 2:   When is the best time to arrive in order to be able to get an apartment?   

The next question is:  what is required now for a stay of say 6 months. we will be traveling by car. 

Although we have been living in Baja for the past 6 months the lure of Mexico's mainland beacons. Since we do not make enough money to acquire the resident visas, does any know what NEW laws are for staying? When we arrived in Baja they never stopped us so therefore do not even know we are here! However, we have now been here for the allotted 6 months so will return to Az for a while to take care of some things, see family etc. but want to come back and live as long as they will let us....Any and all advice is welcome and gracious beforehand!
@Julien

Try a place where I live as a perinate resident called San Felipe. It is on the Baja. It is 120 kilometers from Mexicali border. It is a wonderful place and reasonable.

@Wjacubed

You have to meet Monetary stipulations and be in the country for a certain period of time.
Currently, live in canada - looking a spending time in a few places in Mexico. Want good medical and lots of expats and reasonably priced accommodation near a beach - walking distance not right on the beach. Lots of restaurants etc. near. Oh yeah and safe or relatively safe - safer than Florida. if you know of a place, let me know. thanks Ross
@Julien, My husband and I are considering moving from Northern California to Rosarito or Ensenada.  We like the weather, he likes golf.  We have a German Shepherd and an Rat Terrier so we need some yard space.  We want a single story in an expat area as I only have a smattering of high school Spanish.  We'd like to get permanent residency.  We're both retired.  I was wondering how you find health care there?  I'm 70 and he's 61.  Also, how do you file taxes? 

Any other advise would be appreciated.  Obviously we need to visit the areas.  We're thinking of renting for a while to take time to learn the area before buying.
- @Wjacubed

So Wjacubed,
For the answers to your questions check with a realtor here about housing. Check with California about taxes. That is more complicated for you given that Calif. has state taxes. Residency is something you would have to check out at the Mexican counsel in California. The people in that area have at least some English skills. That part of Mexico has a lot of health care at the border  and does a lot of business with tourists. Your age insurance-wise could be an issue many people pay cash. The US dollar is very popular. Medicare isn't accepted. Not speaking Spanish puts you at a disadvantage with any deals They would likely speak at least some English and you would have to trust someone to help you.
Buena suerte
@Sakuralin
to learn more about SMA search on this forum they have such a large tourist population that they maintain their own part of the forum.
Hi! New here. My husband and I (interracial couple) are in our mid-fifties. We currently live in the Florida panhandle. We are concerned with the direction the US is taking (politically) and are strongly considering a move to Mexico. Our kids are grown for the most part, so that isn't a concern. It would likely just be the two of us.
We are mainly looking at the Cancun area, but certainly haven't nailed anything down. We have so many questions and concerns...we really aren't even sure where to start. We don't have a huge savings to speak of. But, we would be willing to sell everything in order to move and set up a simpler, easier, happier life in MX if that's what it takes.
I'd love to connect with others who are in the area or who are in the process, or want to relocate to Mexico. I feel like having a support system would definitely help in all of this.
Any feedback is welcome.  Thanks so much, Chris
@Christina Joseph
Just to give you the info we know. We move last year and we are in our 40s too.  We came down last year.  The rules for us as Full time residents was $4200 a month in secure income like va, ss, pension and showing 6 months of it thru bank statements.  Part time is cheaper but I'm not sure what that is.
@NewBrazil I went to the Tuscan Az consulate twice- first as a walk in to make sure my papers were in order and to make an appointment. This is an unavoidable  first step. That was on a Thursday I made an appointment for the following Tuesday went to the appointment  and had my   visa within one hour. I was lucky in that I lived in San Diego and could  make the flight both times. Once in Mexico I hired a Mexlaw attorney in Cancun and had my residency with in one week -total cost $2000 for flights, hotels legal fees
Eddie Thompson
@Christina Joseph
I am a single 54-year-old  single male that lives in Cancun in the hotel zone my budget is $4000 a month and that pretty much covers everything -the cost of living is virtually the same as living in the states -if you're going to stay in the hotel zone.are  the only savings is in housing -which is a fraction of the cost but everything else is the same- fuel food clothes household goods electricity etc- especially if you shop in American stores.which is what I do -and if you go out to the bars restaurants and nightclubs that cater to tourist. iwhich is what I do - the costs are similar to San Diego attempting to live like a local is much cheaper but  it's just too taxing for me and the weather necessitates having an automobile -relying on public transportation is hard ,tedious and crowded and hot. Summer is way too hot and humid here. This is my last summer in Cancun Iike the action , women and the prices but I am going to Medellin next May and won't return until October and if Medellin Colombia has half of the nightlife of Cancun I'll never come back!
Am Hilary based on the kingdom o Bahrain who have passion in working in agricultural sector precily fruit particularly fruits or vegetables picking. Mexico has been on the center of my heart. I wish to continue this adventure and career in Mexico if an given the chance and the opportunity. Am ready,  prepare, to joint immediately. Thanks for your time and energy. Waiting for your favourable respond. Splendid day.
@Julien

Bueno!

I am a new member! My bride, Elizabeth, and I are so excited about retiring in Mexico.

We have settled in on living in the Yucatan State. Very exciting times ahead! I look forward to meeting everyone, some day face to face, and enjoying a cold beer together!
@Christina Joseph

Thank you for your post. My bride, Elizabeth, and I are an "inter-ethnic" couple as well. She is of Mexican descent and I am of African descent. We appreciate friendly and warm people of all backgrounds and cultures.

We are REALLY  looking forward to living in Mexico! What an exciting journey and destination!

Take care!

@James Bumpas  Hi James! I'd love a chance to chat with you and your lovely bride as we head into this adventure. We are so nervous...and really have no idea what we are doing. With your wife being of Mexican descent, you definitely have a leg up! Did I see that you are settling on the Yucatan peninsula as well? How far along are you in the planning process? We haven't even made a formal visit to the area (other than a couple of cruises) at this point. Where are you currently living? Do you have children? Let's connect - it would be great having a couple of friendly faces along the way. Thank you!!

Can someone point me to a thread on this platform where people talk about expat hangouts in SMA? Im not on facebook.

Sorry I should add that I just landed in SMA literally last night and I plan on staying. I was just in Oaxaca City and Huatulco, which are both very magical places. Im coming from Ontario so I have recent information on the Canadian situation, if anyone is interested. I've never been to Mexico before so Im feeling a great resonance with the kind of journey my great grandparents did when they came to Canada. SMA seems like the perfect place to replay a shifted version of history. At some point I plan on purchasing a property here.
Welcome everyone and thank you for your introduction !

@Leenzer, the San Miguel de Allende forum has not been very active lately. May I suggest that you create your own topic so that members can get in touch with you :

Click on the following link to create a topic : https://www.expat.com/forum/post.php?fi … mp;lang=en

All the very best,
Bhavna

@Julien

Hi Expat Fam, Lee here! 

I'm moved from Canada to Cancún 6 months ago, and absolutely love it here! I'm a huge fan of sports (football, soccer, hockey, MMA) and I'm in the process of exploring around the Yucatan area. I run a digital marketing agency called [link moderated] (which launches online businesses) and I'm also in the process of launching a coaching program, and product. Looking to meet like-minded entrepreneurs and those who are looking to get into online marketing. 

Cheers! 

Hello, everyone.

I am recently retired and living in Kentucky right now.  I desperately need a change in life, and am looking into Mexico.  I studied Ecuador for a long time, but there are a couple of negatives that made me think Mexico might be a better fit for me.  I have never been to Mexico, but am incredibly adaptable and ready for a completely new life, warts and all.  I am planning a road trip to Mexico for early/mid of next year just as an introduction.

Take care of yourself and hope you are all doing well.

-Brian

@bkiser

Me and my wife moved to mexico last year. We never been to mexico but just went and got our full time residents cards and moved to the lake chapala area. 

Best choice we ever made.  The weather here is the best we have ever lived in.  The locals are awesome to live and deal with.  It is somewhat crowded but we love our life down here.

Hi I just join today and I am looking to make Mexico my next home as I reinvent my life. I was in Mexico City last week and received my temporary residency card and I am extremely happy about that as that is the first step in moving to Mexico. I will be returning sometime next year to visit some of the beach areas and to extend my temporary residency for another three years. I will stay in tune to this website and I am looking forward to meeting other want to be ex-pats.

Welcome to Expat.com, everyone !

Thank you all for your introduction ! It is nice to get to know you and your project better.

Should you need any info, feel free to read the existing threads of the Mexico forum or to open your own topic.

All the very best,

Bhavna

Closed