New members of the Greece forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hello Everyone, I am an American of Greek ancestry who decided to retire early and relocate to Greece to start a cohousing community.  Cohousing is an ideal type of community for expats, and Greece did not have one, so I started the first one!  And it is in the news and it is exciting, but to be clear for the admin-- this is not an advertisement-  I do NOT get any financial benefit from this whatsoever, I am NOT a professional offering services, and I am NOT a professional offering real estate.  This is also NOT a religious or political organization.  That is not what cohousing is.  I am just introducing myself and telling my story- I am a volunteer in a group of expats and other Greeks who come together, who want strong community and living sustainably, and who organize and develop a cohousing village together.  We are on expat podcasts an in journal articles as a result of the interest from expats.

@Rosita Yusuf Hi Rosita!  I have been researching visas very rigorously, and the Golden Visa in Greece is by far the easiest and smoothest to get.  There are great tax incentives for you both as well if you are retiring there.  Super incentives!  If you don't like Golden Visa, which takes no time at all, you can try Financially Independent visa, but GV is better (for 5 years renewable instead of 2, and more benefits).  Happy researching!

Hi @Julien I am a Dutch senior expat in Athens for the third time. Only this time I don't intend to leave again, ever. My interests are art and culture, cooking, writing, philosophy and lots of other stuff. I would like to meet other English speakers of any nationality to meet for coffee or mezedes or perhaps enjoy the theater.  Looking foward hearing from you folks!

@Box500 i would like to cook more and more.can i apply for cooking job.

@GreekVillageCohousing
Thank you very much for the information. Yes, agree about the GV, we have done research on it. At this point we are still seriously thinking about our retirement plans …move to Greece or go back to the US where my husband's from.

@Julien Yes, thank you. I will introduce myself.

thank you very much Julien

my question is regarding health care for elderly expats

I am looking into retiring to Greece for my mother, who lives in the UK (I live in France)
I have already found out a lot from the UK gouvernment website and the NHS website

The main issue worrying my mum is health care as she is in her early 80s. Apparently she will be covered like the NHS in the UK (after applying for an AMKA insurance number). All the websites I visit promote addition health cover insurance schemes claiming to help with queuing at hospitals and getting acess to better doctors as well as covering costs for dental, operations etc.

Can anyone give me any advice on this (is it really necessary?) or tell me which schemes are the best?

My name is Louise and my Mum is Kathleen

We would be very grateful for any help :)
You will need private insurance and is your mother to live alone here?

@Elena Tsar  hey we are in  Thessaloniki. And I would love to make some friends to so give me a call my number is ***. My name is Wiji and  I am from Australia.

Moderated by Priscilla last year
Reason : please do not post personal contact details for security purpose
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Hi everyone,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Gentle reminder : This thread has been created for the introduction of our new members.

If you have any specific query, please feel free to launch a new thread in the Greece forum. It will be easier for you to interact with other members and receive specific answers to your questions.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team 1f609.svg

@melaina63

Hello Melaina,

Your best bet is an attorney who is specialized in immigration and naturalization cases. It is my feeling that, since your grandparents were Greek immigrants, you should be entitled to full citizenship, but a lawyer knows better...

Vasilis

@penelopejhill I see you wrote this back in January and am curious where you fell in love with in Greece.  I cannot recommend enough the Peloponnesos.  Unlike the islands, you do not need to have most of what you consume shipped in by ferry or flown in by plane, and you yourself don't ahve to use a plane or ferry every time you go to Athens.  In Peloponnesos, you have an absolutey spectacular place to explore for the rest of your life and yet can hop in your car and drive into Europe or to Athens, or take a ferry if you want to Italy or Crete.  I started an international group called "Greek Village Cohousing" and we are building a cohousing village.  As part of our group activities, we scoured Greece to look for the best spot on earth and found it.  We have land and are designing and building our village in between a gorgeous fishing village called Gythio and a city we love that recieves little expat attention- and we like it that way (Sparta).  You can check out our website if cohousing intersts you, and I would recommend highly Kalamata if you want a more expat filled enclave and cohousing does not appeal to you.  Kalamata is wonderful if you like urban areas, and the Mani pennisula wonderful if you like lovely lone villas staring out to sea, and cohousing wonderful if you like strong connections with neighbors and living sustainable.  Happy searching!

Hey,

I´m Max, 32 years, since 1 week in Athens...

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1013120

Thanks!

Closed