New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hello All,

I'm planning my exit game now from the US. Thinking about moving the Puerto Plata side of the island, but nothing in stone yet. It's just where I've spent the most time.

I'm looking to get established. Opening a bank account on Monday.

I've been reading old threads and there's a lot of good information here. I thank you all for it.

Welcome to the forums and really glad this is helpful!

Happy October Everyone!!!

I'll be landing in Punta Cana on the 18th to start my new life in the DR.  Will be looking for real estate, investments, social networking and all things for life 2.0.  Headed to Bayahibe for 3 weeks in Nov. to complete my IDC (scuba instructor) and then who knows from there?

Glad I found this site and look forward to meeting people, getting set up and living my best life!

Cheers,!

Welcome I just moved to Bavaro last week. 

@ynotbdiving

Congrats. Happy for you. Can't wait to get going on a permanent basis. For now I'll have to keep visiting every few months.

@Canadiangoingsouth.

Congratulations and welcome!1f600.svg

@ynotbdiving

Congratulations and welcome!  1f600.svg

Welcome to the new members.  I know some have already participated and have opened threads!  Lots to read and lots to learn!

Hi, my name is Gladys, I built a home in Sosua, Puerto Plata.

Recently moved from the States. It is  wonderful being here.

Hi, I'm looking for landrecommendations? In Sosua, Puerto Plata. Any recomendations?

Sorry, I meant looking for a landscaping service

Welcome to the forums!  The best was to get info is open a thread and ask for suggestions.

@Julien

Hello I am Jmorac , just semi retired  in PUJ . DR. I am a Technical consultant in Commercial Aviation . My e mail is [link moderated]

Hello Jmorac,

Welcome to expat.com!

Thank you for your introduction!

Do not hesitate to check the Dominican Republic forum to participate in more discussions.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@Julien I am excited to join the forum.  My husband is Dominican.  We currently live in the US but plan to retire in the Puerta Plata area.

Welcome on board Denisemcurry !

Hope you will find all the information you need on the Dominican Republic forum.

Feel free to interact with members by opening your own thread or by participating on existing ones.

All the very best,

Bhavna

@Julien

I am moving to the Dominican in 3 weeks.  A little nervous.   Where to most expats there live?

Welcome to the forums!  3 weeks!  You will find a lot of info on the various threads. For convenience the areas with the mist expats: north coast from Puerto Plata to Cabrera.  East coast: punta cana, Bavaro and surrounding area. And Las Terrenas / Samana!

Hello to all. I've been reading the forums for months and decided to join in November. Thank you all for the information you share. It has been extremely helpful. My husband and I (and our fur babies) are planning to move to Cabarete East by the end of next year. We currently live in NC and vacation in DR every year, sometimes twice a year, except during covid. We are in the process of purchasing a home and obtaining residency, fingers crossed for both. Again, thank you for sharing your experiences, it is very helpful.

Welcome to the forums!!!!  Thank you for the comments!  We would love for you to open a thread and share your process and progress with us all!

@Canadiangoingsouth. How u finding the new place, is it interesting?

@glad517 hi ma'am, pls am planning also to move to Dominican republic but I don't know anyone there can u pls put me through

@wendyblearm Hello - welcome. You find a good numebr of Expats from Canada here on the forum. They and others ahve mcuh info to offer. What your wish list is like, along with your budget, will obviously determine where and what you can afford. Many like the North Coast area in Purto Plata, Sosua & Cabarette area. Others find the more French speaking area of Las Terrenas while still others enjoy the more North Americanized regionof Punta Cana, which is more pricey. Others are city folks. Some like myself, dislike tourist areas and don't mind the 90 minute drive to beaches. Being from Alberta (growing up around Georgetown in southern ON)  and now married to a lady from Moca, there are many aspects, positive and negative, to every region. Read through here and I think you'll find many answers. However, as you will hear, coming and personally checking out the locations of interest is the best way to start - once you collect more info from here. Best of luck!!!

Welcome to the new members!  Lots of info here on the forums.

REMINDER - this is not the place for questions and discussions.   It's where we introduce ourselves.  Thanks everyone.

Dominicantiguan Here. Born in Antigua, citizen of Canada and my parents are from Dominican Republic and currently constructing a home there. Should be completed within a few weeks. My plan is to furnish and live it in for a couple months. It's in La Romana because I enjoyed there more than anywhere else and still have most of my family in that area. I've used expat.com for years as my wife and I travel a lot. This is my first post however. Thank you all!

Welcome !

@Julien

Hello this is Michael. I'm looking for housing information for the city of Santo Domingo. Got a party of 5 adults. Need a place to rent for a week starting 21 February 23.

Thanks

@planner

Not an expat, but would to visit for a week in Santo Domingo starting 21 February with a party of 5 adults.

Looking for a 5-6 bedroom apartment in the city.. Appreciate any suggestions.

Michael

We are in our 50-60 ‘s range.

Welcome to the forums.  I will suggest you start a thread and ask for the help you need honey! 

@Julien

Thank you Julien, we are excited to be here and found a lovely place on the southern coast. We are now wanting to move forward on a condo purchase but literally newer than newbies and would appreciate any legal or process recommendations as well as a heads up on “mistakes made”. Thank you all in advance

Rick&Theresa … love the blue blue waters!

@Julien

Thank you … we are so happy to be here. We have found a lovely place on the southern coast and would appreciate any good info on process and attorney recommendations. We are newer than newbies and would also love a heads up on common mistakes.

Appreciate you all!

Rick & Theresa … love the blue, blue waters!

Hello Rick & Theresa,

Welcome on board !

Thank you for your introduction.

If you need any info, feel free to open your own thread whilst posting your precise question on the Dominican Republic forum so that members can guide you.

all the best,

Bhavna

Welcome to the forums!  There is a lot of great info on the forums!  Start reading and asking questions. Feel free to start a thread whenever you need or want to. We look forward to following your progress.

Hi everyone,

First of all, Happy new year to all of the DR expats and families.

My name is Steve, my lovely wife Julie and I purchased a Villa in Cabrera a few months ago, and it's now ready to move in, construction completed.

We are looking forward to meet expats in the DR, from all countries, religions and all. I lived in Moscow for 2 years so it's not my first rodeo. Was a diplomat at the time, but now it's a different ball game, we are planning to live in the DR. I am a veteran, now retired so for us it's the perfect time to make the move.

For now, after spending most of December working on sourcing furniture, setting up most of deco we are ready to bring our two dogs with us for the whole winter. When we first went to Cabrera just a few weeks ago we had to rent a car, well... cost us $5 000 for a 20 day rental, so we are now shopping for a vehicle as it will pay for itself within a few months. Already in contact with Andy (Mr Cruffman) however no reply yet as we are all enjoying the festive holiday after all... lol.

Well, if there's anybody from Cabrera within this community it would be nice to make contact, we are still in the dark on many issues, and making new friends in a new country is priceless.

So that's us, we are reading pretty much all traffic on this website and can't wait to be more involved in helping new comers, for now WE are the newbies hahaha.

Take care all, have a great day!

Steve & Julie

Welcome to the forums! You are off to a great start.  Mike aka cruffman will be in touch after the holidays I am sure!

We have a number of members in Cabrera!

Hi

I'm Rev Dr. Marlena Rouzes .. both my husband Ed and I are currently looking at buying and/or building a property down south ( snowbirds )

Our options seem to lie with purchasing within a resort structure simply for the added conveniences

I am 55 and Ed is 44 .. both are semi-retired with companies  in Newfoundland Canada

Wishing you all a great 2023

God Bless!

@StevoDR welcome to DR where weather always amazing, beaches are eye-caching, people are mostly lovely and storms are scarry!

@revmarlenarouzes warm welcome along with warm weather, I am sure you will like it here, I saw many Canadians who are so happy in DR especially in my neighbouring

Welcome to the forums!  You will find a lot of useful information on the various threads.  Happy new year to you as well.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1013015

Thanks!

Closed