New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Welcome back.  Please edit your post to take out your phone number. Personal contact info is t permitted honey.

Hi all, my name is Will and new to this forum.

I'm in process of buying a condo in VISTACANA. This smart city supposed to be a great investment, however not sure if after management fees, HOA and utilities I will have the return intended. There's so much competition in Punta Cana.
I would really appreciate any advise you can give me.
Also, any recommendations where to go when ready to furnish the apt? I heard it's more expensive there than the states.
Thank you 😁

Welcome! This thread is for intros and welcomes only! I see you posted in another thread asking about Vista Cana and folks have already responded there!

Denise

Welcome too the forums.  Lots of info on the forums for you! 

I also saw you asked your questions in the thread and a good dialogue is happening! Good luck to you!

Thank you!

Everyone has been very helpful providing information.

Looking to find out more about expat living in La Romana area. And hopefully make some friends to meet there in July :)

Welcome  to the forums.  There is info about the area on the various threads. Try a search and feel free to start a new thread!

Hello Everyone,
I am a new member here. I live in Vancouver and I am moving to the Dominican Republic at the end of the year  for a partial retirement.  I have bought property in Punta Cana and will be coming into the country as a permanent resident  at the end of the year.
I am also fluent in Spanish. I came back from a holiday in Punta Cana at the end of February.  Everything looks so great.  Punta Cana is booming.
I must say, it is paradise!
Cheers,
Renato

Welcome to the forums!  Lots of answers here to the many questions you will have!

Hello everyone, my husband and I love the Dominican, we are wanting to buy a condo to live in for 4 monthes and rent the other 8, we have only been to Punta Cana, does anyone have any suggestion where to go on carribean side where property is decently priced and safe. We want to travel this summer to check things out. Suggestions anyone

Welcome to you both!

@Gareth16 - start with the pinned posts and then keep reading! You can also search the forum for specific words/subjects. If you only find an old thread (more than a year since the last post), it might be best to start a new one! Otherwise, we try to keep the existing ones going.

@Momloves3 - There are some frequent posters in Santo Domingo and La Romana, but they are probably outnumbered by those of us on the north and east coasts. One thing to keep in mind is that you will likely use your place yourself during the high season winter months. That means your rental prospects won't be as good as someone renting year round. Often the high season rents are 1.5 - 2 times the summer and hurricane season rates. Lots of great threads on here about rentals.

Welcome to everyone!  Lots to read and learn and please feel free to share your experiences later!

@Julien Hello Julian Dominican Expat community. I came to Santo Domingo on a part-timw basis 2 years ago and made it full-time 6 months ago. I live with me wife in Santo Domingo we started a couple of businesses and I work online. 

I am not part of any expat community and rarely se any foreigners as I do not live in some of the more Expat popular communities in the North Coast, Semana, or Punta Cana. However, I wanted to get on this forum to meet people and learn to see what other expats are up to in the country.

I look forward to meeting you all.

Welcome to the forums. There are some expats in SD but we are quite spread out!  I see you started a thread and shared your residency process so far!  Thanks!

@Profe Agayu,   Welcome to the forum.  

@Julien 
Hello from Nova Scotia Canada. 
I am curious about spending winters on the North Coast. 
Would appreciate info on budget accommodations anywhere from Puerto Plata to Samana. 
Many thanks
Welcome to the forums ECM2301.   So Julien is the company owner.   I dont think he has been here to the DR but I have invited him

All of this info is available on the forums honey.  Start reading and using the search functions.  If you want or need, open a thread  to ask all your questions.
Hello,

I am Robert from USA to include Ohio, Texas as and Florida..  Recently retired.  Been to DR 7 times in the previous 18 months totalling approximately 3 months overall.  Considering retiring in DR and look to this forum for guidance and advice.  My experience so far does involve a disasterous relationship with what Dominicans call chapiadora.  More on that if interested as I now have a bloodhounds nose for those creatures. But I haven't given up.  Many things in the works. 

@rlwoodz Welcome, Robert! You will find all kinds of guidance here - happy reading!

@Julien  Hi Everyone. I am not really a new member because I have been following the expats for most of the 3 years that I have been in the DR. My name is Dekenio, I am 63 years old, and I have been living life here as a Rebel without a clue. In other words partying without a purpose. What can I say, I'm an ex-sailor, and I guess it's in my blood. Now, I live in Bonao, so I have not interacted with any English speaking people on a regular basis. What is even more amazing is that I don't speak Spanish, but it doesn't matter to me. I am learning as I go. Planner helped me tremendously when I first arrived in the DR, and I look forward to her help going forward.

Welcome to everyone!  We are happy to help whenever we can!
@Julien

Am from the Outaouais Québec but am looking to move and retire in the DR specifically in Las Terrenas.  Will be coming up soon to check realestate possibilities... and hopefully, will spend my first winter there in 2023.  Can't wait!

'Til soon!

Anitita
Welcome to the forums!!! You will find a lot of info on the forums!
Welcome, heading down next week to look at some properties in the Punta Cana area. 

How is Punta cana vs the north coast such as caberate

Welcome all the new comers. 

I'm Carol and my other half is Marc. We are a mix of England, NYC AND Dominican-  my mother is Dominican. I lived  in Moca and Sto Dgo for a few years-  but everyone  knows more than I since I never lived here as an adult.  LOL-

We just moved to Las Terrenas- if I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to ask. 
Thanks for all the offers to help. That is what we are all about

Welcome to the new members. Please look through the pinned threads and use the search function for answers to your questions.

Don't find what you need?  Start a new thread and those with answers will respond!

Reminder:. This thread is introductions and welcomes. 
@vbizDR we're looking to relocate to the LRM area as well. We'll be back down in June. If you want to connect send me a PM on this platform.

J
@josh this thread is for introductions and welcomes.  Other comments don't belong here.  Thanks!
And I've already made a newbie error!

I want to say hello to everyone. I've been trying remote work in first Santo Domingo and later Juan Dolió as a first step in further explorations.

I hope to both learn from and contribute to these forums. I can report that a language class can be a good way to meet a variety of ex-pats.
Welcome to the forums!  We look forward to your contributions and your questions!    Lots to read and learn on here. And no worries, we all make errors honey.
Stacey could you please introduce yourself properly ?
@Julien

Hello i go by the name Jaxter. Im not new to expat and a long time member of DR1 until lately i cant log in to DR1 because of a virus on my puter. So i bought a phone but having trouble getting my login info. Anyone know if DR1 is having issues? I have 3 issues i would like to share with the community
Seeing as how that is a totally different platform and nothing at all to do with Expat,  we do not know what is going on. This  thread is for introductions and welcomes. 

Jaxter you are welcome to be a part of this  forum and  we look forward to your contributions!
@Julien Good Afternoon
I am purchasing a condo in imbert Puerto Plata. This process is definitely stressing me out. Any advice would be helpful. I need to purchase furniture and appliances. I have majority of the furniture I need in my cart from IKEA. But there will be a lot of things that I will ship from the US. I will be in DR next month from May 16-22. And will return in August to finish up everything.

@creshastanton Welcome to the forum! Search on the topics you have questions about and see if you can find what you are looking for. If not, feel free to start a new thread or add your question to a related topic.

I second that welcome.
@nachafarm

living the dream… ❤️🇩🇴

We plan to do the same. Cirrently we just fly down whenever we can…

@planner  what happens if i cant pay overstay fees at airport?

Welcome to the forums. I will ask you to  ask this question in a thread by itself please. This thread is for welcomes and  introductions only. 
Closed