Any investment advisors here.

I have around £100000 sitting in my bank account in Mauritius equivalent to Rs 6000000.

Banks have been useless so far, and I am looking for better options like stock market/funds to reinvest my money for better returns in Mauritius. If I pull the funds back in UK for investment, I loose out on the exchange rate .Could someone recommend a professional or a company as I used all my time in Mauritius recently travelling and eating and completely forgot about it and also unable to visit till next year.

Bank is offering me around 2% fixed for 5 years which I believe is unacceptable, as I am aiming for around  8-10% in Mauritius like in the UK. Not sure if I am being too optimistic.
Thanks in advance.

I can recommend this wealth management company:

(any South Africans on the forum will know this is the company of Magnus Heystek)

Brenthurst Wealth
https://brentwealth.com/

Yolande Butchart         
FOREIGN EXCHANGE CONSULTANT
Brent Wealth Management Ltd                                         
Phone: +230 484 2175 |  Mobile: +230 5830 3682
[email protected]

Hi Maurice.
Hope you are well.
I own a Discovery Ltd franchise. We are one of the biggest investment houses in South Africa and we have a fund in Mauritius. We also offer a full range of financial products.
Fixed rates wordlwide are far lower than market related investments.
Even if you get 8% in the UK, that is only a nominal rate. We need to take the frequency of compounding into account, as well as tax and cost.
You are welcome to contact me.
Best regards.

Hi @Carel68, are you also a Discovery Health intermediary for South Africans in Mauritius or planning to move in the near future ?

Hello, I'm not an investment advisor but I share my experience with you.  I have invested in stocks/funds, fixed deposit here in Mauritius and also in real estate. So far I did not got the returns i expected from stock/funds or fixed deposit. But my real estate earnings are almost quadruple in these past 2 years. I left all other(stock, funds,and deposit) for long time now  hoping they make something but time will tell as of now it's very risky to put in stocks n etccc because a crisis is looming due to massive (Inflation) printing of money worldwide. I would say you should invest in real estate( land, apartment, or house).  I invest thru Mahal Properties Ltd. Once again its my personal experience.
Hope this might help you, Bye

Moderated by Priscilla 2 years ago
Reason : advertising your services is prohibited on Expat.com
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi. I am a Discovery advisor for DHMS as well. I am not allowed to do new business in Mauritius, as we ( Discovery) have not rolled out our medical scheme to Mauritius as yet.

If you are a DHMS member, all planned procedures will have to be done in South Africa. Other than that, the 90 day travel benefit applies.

I can most certainly advise and so any servicing needed , such as plan changes and beneficiaries.

Best regards.

Thanks Carel. Much appreciated.

Would you have an email address I can mail you on please.Please PM me.
It would be easier for comparison if I can get some rough guides to your AMC'S and other fund charges.
I am already with the likes of Vanguard and Fundsmith from Terry Smith who I believe is not unknown in your neck of woods.

I am looking to diversify as planning to retire in Mauritius in some years.

Mahalpros wrote:

Hello, I'm not an investment advisor but I share my experience with you.  I have invested in stocks/funds, fixed deposit here in Mauritius and also in real estate. So far I did not got the returns i expected from stock/funds or fixed deposit. But my real estate earnings are almost quadruple in these past 2 years. I left all other(stock, funds,and deposit) for long time now  hoping they make something but time will tell as of now it's very risky to put in stocks n etccc because a crisis is looming due to massive (Inflation) printing of money worldwide. I would say you should invest in real estate( land, apartment, or house).  I invest thru Mahal Properties Ltd. Once again its my personal experience.
Hope this might help you, Bye

Sorry but i disagree. Unless you are investing in areas where most expats are allowed to buy/live property marked in Mauritius is basically not so profitable. It is irrelevant if your land prices have doubled or more it is no good if you cannot release the equity. At present banks are not lending and it is very difficult to release cash and eventually when market does pick up the no Mauritians is going to buy Rs 10 Mil land.Same with stocks as with Covid market is down but it means you can pick up some bargains for long term. I am up 43% as of today  in the last 2 years even with Covid in the UK.Imagine if market were really bullish how much would that be?

Hi .

The success of an investment portfolio lies in diversification.
Until recently, property used to be one of the obvious choices.
In South Africa it is curreny one of the worst performing investments. The rental market for both residential and commercial property is a mess. Office space is available for as little as R 150 per square metre.
The value of residential property might seem to double , but if you take cost and tax into account it does not look that great anymore.
Any low cost, tax friendly investment is a good option at the moment, without too much appetite for risk.
Volatility is another factor to consider. If your investment has the potential for high growth, it will come with high risk and high volatility. If your investment is aimed at retirement, you may find yourself in a position where you have to wait for the markets to recover before you can retire.
A good old balanced approach is still the best. No use having one half of your portfolio giving you good returns and the other half not performing at all.