PCR Test for Covid

Hi all, where can I find the cheapest PCR Test in HCM.?
Its for pre-departure purpose. Thanks a million...

Swee Loke wrote:

Hi all, where can I find the cheapest PCR Test in HCM.?
Its for pre-departure purpose. Thanks a million...

Viện Y Tế Công Cộng
Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh
Public Health Institute, HCMC
159 Đường Hưng Phú
Phường 10, Quận 8
Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh 700000
+84 28 3855 9503
Google Maps Link

To the main destinations abroad, antigen rapid test (ART) is as valid as PCR for pre-departure purpose. But it's true that it seems to be impossible to find in Saigon a place doing ART and delivering QR code... Then, no choice except PCR (however be careful QR code comes with PCR).

There are at least 3 places for one get an ART test in Saigon...District 1, 2 and 7 Medical Centers has service for such.  I had two PCR's done within 15 to 20 minutes in District 10 for 300,000, a breeze.

Thanks to @ Anthony Stephen for info on where to get a test:-
District 1 Medical Center
34 Le Duan Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Tel: +84 28 3822 7848

District 2 Medical Center (24/7)
95 Thao Dien Street, District 2, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Tel: +84 28 3744 2000

District 7 Medical Center
41 Dang Duc Thuat, District 7, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Tel: +84 28 5448 4544

District 10 on 224-226 Nguyen Duy Duong St.
300,000 per test.

Sorry, is that 300000 for 2 tests or just each..tks

Anthony Stephen wrote:

There are at least 3 places for one get an ART test in Saigon...District 1, 2 and 7 Medical Centers has service for such.  I had two PCR's done within 15 to 20 minutes in District 10 for 300,000, a breeze.

In all these places, attestation in English and QR code come with ART ? Thanks in advance.

each.

I would imagine these are all in Vietnamese...the PCR was in Vietnamese.  As to a "QR"  I don't carry a 'smart phone' around with me...just my shot card and if necessary when traveling the PCR results.  I've had no problems at the airport showing both...let them do the 'math'...I don't need a smart phone.

@Anthony

Someone without a "smartphone" like finding a unicorn!

Just imagine all that time you gain NOT doing selfies, answering emails & messages, you must be the most relaxed guy on the planet.

Anthony Stephen wrote:

I would imagine these are all in Vietnamese...the PCR was in Vietnamese.  As to a "QR"  I don't carry a 'smart phone' around with me...just my shot card and if necessary when traveling the PCR results.  I've had no problems at the airport showing both...let them do the 'math'...I don't need a smart phone.

Requirements of authorities in main countries to passengers entering from abroad are clear : ART is as valide as PCR, attestation on paper is as valide as attestation on smartphone, but it's necessary to get an attestation in English AND with QR code (on the paper or on digital attestation). If the medical center is not able to provide QR code, it means it is not recognized by authorities to deliver official test results.

I needed a PCR test certification, and I specifically asked for that to be recognised by the Singapore Govt for entry. (Knowing how sticky they are). Besides reading about prices at 300,000 dongs, I got quotes ranging from 1200,000 and 3200,000 dongs. for one test.
Anyone care to explain why?  Grateful..

Swee Loke wrote:

I needed a PCR test certification, and I specifically asked for that to be recognised by the Singapore Govt for entry. (Knowing how sticky they are). Besides reading about prices at 300,000 dongs, I got quotes ranging from 1200,000 and 3200,000 dongs. for one test.

Those expensive quotes look similar to what was being posted by hospitals which cater to foreigners.

You pay extra to have air conditioning and somebody to speak with you in English and maybe even a nice little waiting room with a cup of coffee or juice.

Very similar to Visa on Arrival: there's no one set price.

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Off-topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Swee Loke wrote:

The hospital for disease control lists their price as 740k. Mind you, this may only be for locals.

HCMC Center for Disease Control and Prevention (HCDC): Please call (028) 3955 9751 ext. 17 for instructions.  Their listed COVID-19 testing fee is 734,000 VND.

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Off-topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Some replies may be off the mark. At cheaper prices, the Singapore Government may NOT recognise those clinics as meeting its standards! Moreover, all have to be translated into English, as well, definitely...

On Jan 11 I paid $185 us in Denver results within one hour

Swee Loke wrote:

Some replies may be off the mark. At cheaper prices, the Singapore Government may NOT recognise those clinics as meeting its standards! Moreover, all have to be translated into English, as well, definitely...

Ask the Singapore govt which test they will accept. Most PCR tests are in English due to them being accepted by airlines.

I can get a PCR test done here in VT which is accepted by the Australian govt and Singapore airlines. Its in English and costs 1 million vnd. Compared to Raffles in VT who want 2.7 million for the same thing.

Hi Colinoscapee: thanks your re-assuring reply, rising above the others. At that, I think the one that quoted me 1.2 mil would be just about rightly priced.
Thanks also reply for bank rates n have a good day...

Hooked wrote:

Hi Hooked, I'm in the US too, Florida. Can you tell me the name of the specific test you took that gave you results in one hour. Will this test be useable to get into Vietnam ? Thanks.

Swee Loke wrote:

Hi Colinoscapee: thanks your re-assuring reply, rising above the others. At that, I think the one that quoted me 1.2 mil would be just about rightly priced.
Thanks also reply for bank rates n have a good day...

The information I gave you at the start of this thread is for a government facility (Department of Health) not a private enterprise.

The price I paid there was about ₫800,000 Việt Nam đồng

Results are reported in Tiếng Việt and English.

I used my certificate to board Singapore airlines in Ho Chi Minh City.

My first stop on my flight to Los Angeles was Singapore.

So Singapore airlines accepted the certificate and the airport in Singapore also accepted it and allowed me to do a layover there for about 8 hours.

Go ahead and pay more somewhere else.

There's no air conditioning at that location.

Thanks Oceanbeach, elsewhere on thread, one Anthony Stephen said a PCR test only cost 300,000 dong. Isn't that even cheaper? So, why the difference  again? I feel that would invoke a risk element too. I am unfamiliar with district 8. And difference of 400,000 dong is just about cost of a dinner for 2, at current living standards.

GIA AN 115 a private hospital does the RT-PCR for travel test and the cost is 270,000 vnd. Document is in English and Vietnamese.

schleger wrote:
Hooked wrote:

Hi Hooked, I'm in the US too, Florida. Can you tell me the name of the specific test you took that gave you results in one hour. Will this test be useable to get into Vietnam ? Thanks.

I am traveling 2 February and made appointment with a place here in San Antonio for RT-PCR test with a cost of $250. 30 minute results is normal guaranteed in 3 hours. They email the results for printing.
A friend used them and it was accepted for traveling to Thailand.

Thanks Pogiwayne,
This is good info as most in this thread are inquiring about PCR testing going from Vietnam to USA. I, and others, are going USA to Vietnam. Did you go to a hospital, clinic, pharmacy in the USA to get this expedited 30 minute test? I will call around here in USA / Florida but your advanced information will be helpful. Thanks.

schleger wrote:

Thanks Pogiwayne,
This is good info as most in this thread are inquiring about PCR testing going from Vietnam to USA. I, and others, are going USA to Vietnam. Did you go to a hospital, clinic, pharmacy in the USA to get this expedited 30 minute test? I will call around here in USA / Florida but your advanced information will be helpful. Thanks.

Everyone is highly encouraged to start a new thread of their own when the temptation is great to post off topic in a thread.

Just start a new thread on your subject, but make sure it relates to Vietnam.

It's possible you'll get better results in the USA forum.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
schleger wrote:

Thanks Pogiwayne,

Everyone is highly encouraged to start a new thread of their own when the temptation is great to post off topic in a thread.

Just start a new thread on your subject, but make sure it relates to Vietnam.

It's possible you'll get better results in the USA forum.

Just answered a question.

pogiwayne wrote:

GIA AN 115 a private hospital does the RT-PCR for travel test and the cost is 270,000 vnd. Document is in English and Vietnamese.

This is from the hospitals website, this is the rapid test, not the PCR for travel.

"
The cost of Covid-19 rapid test service at Gia An 115 Hospital is currently 270,000 VND/sample."

You also have to travel to Binh Tan which is on the outer area of Saigon, a taxi there and back wont be cheap.

colinoscapee wrote:
pogiwayne wrote:

This is from the hospitals website, this is the rapid test, not the PCR for travel.

"
The cost of Covid-19 rapid test service at Gia An 115 Hospital is currently 270,000 VND/sample."

You also have to travel to Binh Tan which is on the outer area of Saigon, a taxi there and back wont be cheap.

The Chief of Internal Medicine at the hospital gave me the information. I guess you know better. RT-PCR test is accepted by most countries and airlines. Not every testing facility has the capability of doing a RT-PCR test. Their lab is capable.
I'm sure some people needing a Covid test are living in that area.

pogiwayne wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
pogiwayne wrote:

"

The Chief of Internal Medicine at the hospital gave me the information. I guess you know better. RT-PCR test is accepted by most countries and airlines. Not every testing facility has the capability of doing a RT-PCR test. Their lab is capable.

Thanks for your smartarse reply. Just quoting off the website. You posted on an expat site, therefore, most expats will need to travel to this area. By all means go and get your PCR test for 270k, I think you may get a shock once you arrive there.

colinoscapee wrote:
pogiwayne wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

"

Thanks for your smartarse reply. Just quoting off the website. You posted on an expat site, therefore, most expats will need to travel to this area. By all means go and get your PCR test for 270k, I think you may get a shock once you arrive there.

You are welcome. Maybe I was quoted the friends and relatives rate for the Covid test.
Always call and get information before going for any medical procedure.
Have a great day. Lifes too short to not enjoy every minute.

Just to remind members :-
People come on Expat.com for information and help, everyone is entitiled to their own opinion - please leave the personal attacks out of your posts. 

Andy
Expat.com Team

pogiwayne wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
pogiwayne wrote:

You are welcome. Maybe I was quoted the friends and relatives rate for the Covid test.

Seeing as your gf is a doctor you may be given a cheap rate. Quoting prices that you can get due to connections is not beneficial to the average expat.

I wrote to the hospital in question to ask for their PCR rate, I will post it upon upon receiving it.

colinoscapee wrote:
pogiwayne wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Seeing as your gf is a doctor you may be given a cheap rate. Quoting prices that you can get due to connections is not beneficial to the average expat.

I wrote to the hospital in question to ask for their PCR rate, I will post it upon upon receiving it.

The person I got it from is a long time friend not my fiancée.
The friends and family plan was meant as humor.
I believe I also saw the cost on their website. Im heading to Asia the beginning of February and my RT-PCR test cost is $250 so I would be happy to pay a couple of million Dong instead. 😂

pogiwayne wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
pogiwayne wrote:

The person I got it from is a long time friend not my fiancée.
The friends and family plan was meant as humor.
I believe I also saw the cost on their website. Im heading to Asia the beginning of February and my RT-PCR test cost is $250 so I would be happy to pay a couple of million Dong instead. 😂

Well, being on the ground here, the cheapest reputable PCR test cost has been quoted at 750k and the dearest 3.5 mil which is nearly 150 usd.

I'm wondering if the cheaper tests which have been mentioned include a certificate for international travel?

When I received my departure test results in HCMC, it was my understanding that a big part of the final price was for the special bilingual documentation (official certificate).

Other people (locals not testing for international travel) were being charged less.

It was my girlfriend who discussed this point with the institute, when my appointment was being set over the phone.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I'm wondering if the cheaper tests which have been mentioned include a certificate for international travel?

When I received my departure test results in HCMC, it was my understanding that a big part of the final price was for the special bilingual documentation (official certificate).

Other people (locals not testing for international travel) were being charged less.

It was my girlfriend who discussed this point with the institute, when my appointment was being set over the phone.

The one I quoted at 750k is bilingual and numerous friends of mine have used it to fly. As with anything in Vietnam make sure you ask questions.

colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

The one I quoted at 750k is bilingual and numerous friends of mine have used it to fly. As with anything in Vietnam make sure you ask questions.

Yeah, I didn't doubt that one (very close to what I paid at the health institute).

It's the pricing under ₫300,000 VNĐ that has me wondering.

Not doubting it's a valid test, but wondering if it's for domestic use only?

pogiwayne wrote:

Looks like you missed one zero.
This from the US consulate and embassy.

Military Hospital 175: Please call 0399 175 175 – Ext. 2 or 0961175175 for instructions.  Their listed COVID-19 testing fee is VND 2,100,000.

Gia An 115: Please call (028) 628 85 886 for instructions.  Their listed COVID-19 testing fee is VND 2,700,000.