First reported Omicron case in Indonesia

https://www.thejakartapost.com/indonesi … iant-.html

This is one report I really want to be in error.
If Omicron gets out in a big way, and reports from other countries suggest it might well, we risk lockdowns and all the rest again.
On the good news side, the latest versions of the virus appear to be less nasty in so far as what they do to those infected - Basically it seems to be feeling grim in general and tired all the time -  I really hope that set of reports are accurate.

https://indonesia.go.id/kategori/editor … ta-waspada

This official news outlet says hospital beds are filling up again - Time to take care, wear masks, and avoid crowds.
Pak Luhut has done a pretty great job so far so let's support his efforts.

https://indonesia.go.id/kategori/editor … ua-gerbang

Much as the government have been pretty strict about entry requirements and introduced a 10 day quarantine, Omicron cases are showing up.

Back to the old avoid crowds and wear a mask.

It will spread like wild fire, as it's doing in Europe and the US. If you get infected while vaccinated, not so much of an issue apparently, if not vaccinated because of whatever reason,  you're on your own. Boosters starting this week?

After listening to Big Ben chime away, I got to BBC Radio 4's midnight news.
Seems the big O is spreading faster than hot tarmac in the UK, but reports suggest it's a lot milder and there's far less of a chance of ending up in hospital and/or as dead as a parrot.

As local cases are being reported here, there's a reasonable chance we'll see the same. As I don't fancy catching it, I will be doing the usual avoiding people and wearing a mask when I'm near people.

I wanted to watch a film in Cinema 21 but it isn't in the premier (Not many people fit in there so it's far safer), so I will miss it out.

IF you go out, would suggest to wear N95 mask, following article is good read explaining Omicron https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso … re-out-why

https://www.cnnindonesia.com/nasional/2 … -152-kasus

152 known cases. As the big O is reputed to spread rapidly, I suspect there are likely a lot more.
My youngest had his first jab this morning and, in a separate point, he's supposed to be returning to face to face school in a week or so.
However, I suspect Omicron may well kill that off.

I bet the real number will already be in the thousands. It would have been wishful thinking or I would call it rather naïve to believe Omicron would pass by Indonesia. As I said earlier it's spreading like wildfire over the globe. The encouraging news is that there's not to many dead's and hospitalizations, that is for those vaccinated.

You're likely correct. The rapid rise in the number of identified cases along with how it's spread in other countries strongly suggests it's probably all over Indonesia by now.

As you also mentioned, it appears to be a lot milder and causes far fewer people to need hospital treatment - however - just one more reason to follow government advice.

Christmas saw a mass of people invade malls here so I turned around and skipped - others may do it but I will not. That mass silliness means Omicron will spread all the faster. My youngest got his first jab yesterday but his school is also going back to 5 day, part time, face to face learning.
They say any case found in school and they will return to home learning - I don't gamble but I know where my cash would be.

Fred wrote:

As you also mentioned, it appears to be a lot milder and causes far fewer people to need hospital treatment - however - just one more reason to follow government advice.

Yes, for those vaccinated, for the unvaccinated it's likely still hospital. Like you, we are staying well away from crowded places, as Omicron is apparently highly contagious. Is there any news on the boosters, as it has been a while since I've had my Chinese vaccine which is apparently a lot less effective.

It's very clear from data gathered all over the world vaccinated people are far better protected but, as you say, the Chinese vaccines are reported (Including by the manufacturers) to be less effective at stopping you catching the virus, more so with Omictron.
On a more positive note, they are also reported as saving you all the hassle of serious illness, even with Delta and Omicron.

I'm double hoping for a booster, same for my daughter, but my youngest just got his first.
I'm happy to report he's 100% with no ill effects at all from the jab, but he may have a couple of days feeling a bit grim on his second - I did.

Me guessing rollout will start from Jakarta?

https://www.thejakartapost.com/indonesi … reads.html

bennl wrote:

Me guessing rollout will start from Jakarta?

https://www.thejakartapost.com/indonesi … reads.html

Better than average chance. The child vaccination program was opened up on a percentage of vaccinated people by city basis (Jakarta first - I think), so that's probably what they'll do this time.
Makes sense as the greater the population density, the greater the risk of infection.

should have invested in pharmaceutical shares at the start of the pandemic 😬

I stopped going to one local shopping centre when they stopped asking for proof of vaccination but it was very quiet yesterday and there was a shop I wanted to visit so I popped in.
Seems someone has given them a kick in the trousers because the guard insisted on seeing my proof of vaccination. That means I can use my favourite coffee shop again. I was using another branch but it isn't as nice as the one I usually go to so I'm pleased.

Fred wrote:

I stopped going to one local shopping centre when they stopped asking for proof of vaccination.

That went very quickly overboard, at least in Cilandak Town Square, don't know what the situation is now as I haven't been there for a while but before I get my booster it is highly unlikely I will go to any public place unless absolutely necessary. Regardless if you catch Omicron and end up in hospital or not, it will not be fun to self isolate, will it?

I have to shop and I have a serious weakness for coffee shops, but I do both when there are very few people around.
Shopping is never later than 08:00 and coffee activities are always in the morning before the crowds turn in. If one coffee joint is busy, I go to a quiet one. If both of my favourites are busy, I skip it for that day.
I'm not especially scared of catching the dreaded lurgy as it's unlikely I would see much more than a glorified cold, but that's not 100% definite so there's no point taking the risk. I have to think of my kids' welfare.
That and I can't stand crowds anyway. If I need to go shopping I want in and out as quickly as possible, and I want my coffee in peace, not whilst listening to a hundred conversations at once.

I can recommend you buy a solid manual operated cappuccino machine and start making your own coffee at home, it's just so much fun to do trust me I've done it for years. Bought my Gaggia Classic years ago in Saudi, put some bells and whistles on it, and it's a singing and dancing little machine. The quality of coffee I get out of it at least matches the coffee you buy at the usual suspects, not just coming from me but from all that have tried.

bennl wrote:

I can recommend you buy a solid manual operated cappuccino machine and start making your own coffee at home,.

A wonderful idea, but only if it shuts the kids' and my ex wife's mouths. :D

It isn't the coffee, it's the peace and quiet

😂

https://jakartaglobe.id/news/indonesia- … cron-scare

Jakarta. Visitors from 14 countries are barred from entering Indonesia under the current travel restrictions aimed at reducing the risk of the spread of the highly contagious Omicron coronavirus variant...
....The UK and Denmark were added to the list because both countries have recorded more than 10,000 cases, Agus said, adding that any violation will risk deportation.

Indonesian citizens returning from those 14 countries must self-isolate for 10 days, he added.

Indonesia has recorded 254 Omicron cases since mid-December, the majority of which displayed mild symptoms or were asymptomatic, according to Health Ministry reports.

It's spreading but it appears most cases are mild to nothing.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/07/heal … index.html

You are mentioning "mild cases", read the CNN article, might find it interesting.

Bear in mind most of us have had the less effective chinese vaccines , omicron can still cause hospitalisation and death in the older population and those with secondary issues ,never mind long covid .

We will continue the usual protection measures .

scouser59 wrote:

Bear in mind most of us have had the less effective chinese vaccines , omicron can still cause hospitalisation and death in the older population and those with secondary issues ,never mind long covid .

The Chinese vaccines are reported as less effective (including by the manufacturers), but still offer a lot of protection against serious issues. As you say, older people and those with pre-existing conditions are more vulnerable.

scouser59 wrote:

Your comments are spot on, I already had Covid before I got vaccinated here, luckily I was completely symptom free within 10 days, but when reading the comments on CNN about "mild Covid" I am even more careful now. In addition we are now wearing the N95 masks if we go out.

Ya unfortunately our new reality ,wandering around with masks , mobile phones for peduli lindungi , avoiding crowds , life these days for us all .

We both had covid some months ago ,light symtoms ,I still have light anosmia , but ya lucky compared to some .

scouser59 wrote:

Ya unfortunately our new reality ,wandering around with masks , mobile phones for peduli lindungi , avoiding crowds , life these days for us all .

We both had covid some months ago ,light symtoms ,I still have light anosmia , but ya lucky compared to some .

Tbh I don't really mind wearing the masks anymore, and it has become a habit putting it on when we leave the house, also wife and our 11 year old daughter they understand the why and never complain. Re the symptoms, I had one day of fever, it then subsided, but I lost taste and smell for almost an entire week.

On another note; re the booster starting on the 12th; my wife's Indonesian contact who is a nurse putting jabs, has confirmed the 12th and apparently they will start off with either Pfizer or AstraZeneca booster shots (not Sinovac, which I had for my 1st shots).

scouser59 wrote:

Apart from the masks and temp checks, little has actually changed for me. I lost my main income so a few hundred million I would otherwise have picked up was lost but there's little else to care about.
I'm getting new irons in the fire but none have really come to much so far so my tax return will look depressing ....... except for the part where I have zero to pay. It looks like that situation will change for the 2022 tax year, but nothing guaranteed just yet.

I dislike masks but got used to them, and I always avoided crowds. I like a bit of peace and quiet when I go out so I can relax so avoiding large gatherings has been a thing for me for years.
Retired DJ - It's like working in a sweet factory - You don't want anything to do with sweets after the first week. Add what's very likely a touch of ASD, and I really don't care about restrictions.
Saying that, I feel for all the people who have lost their jobs.

As for anosmia, that's a hell of a reason for me to avoid covid. One of my greatest pleasures in life is flavourful food - Losing that heaven would be disasterous.

Ya I read about the 12th as the start date , hopefully we will have one of the better jabs for the booster , I wait with interest .

https://en.antaranews.com/news/208713/s … h-ministry

Jakarta (ANTARA) - The Indonesian Health Ministry recorded a spike in the number of confirmed Omicron cases, reaching 414, as of Saturday, out of which 34 were locally transmitted.

The ministry's COVID-19 vaccination spokesperson, Siti Nadia Tarmidzi, urged the public to not travel abroad if it is not too urgent.

"Most of the Omicron cases came from international travelers. Hence, the people are expected to defer their plans to travel abroad," Tarmidzi noted in her written statement here on Sunday.

https://en.antaranews.com/news/209461/j … eaches-179

Jakarta (ANTARA) - At least 89 or 17.9 percent of the 498 Omicron cases detected in Jakarta have involved local transmission, Deputy Governor of Jakarta Ahmad Riza Patria has informed.

"The imported cases are 409 cases or 80.1 percent," Patria noted at Jakarta City Hall on Thursday.

Looks like, as is far from a shock, it's managed to get into Indonesia. Let's keep away from crowds and be a little careful in general.

I got that right

https://indonesia.go.id/kategori/editor … ah-33-hari

It's in Indonesian but the upshot is Minister Luhut has said the increase in Covid cases is likely down to Omicron and has asked everyone to stick to prokes (Health protocols) 

I believe the gentleman has it right

https://www.cnnindonesia.com/nasional/2 … it-omicron

It says the 14 country ban list has been revoked. I will try to find an official site that confirms it

https://health.detik.com/berita-detikhe … dikeluhkan

This reports two omicron cases have resulted in deaths, One vaccinated, one not, but both having other conditions that left them more vulnerable.

Has anyone noticed that "OMICRON" can be found letter for letter within the word "MORONIC ?" I don't think this is just a coincidence!