Moving to the Philippines solo

Hello everybody,

Moving to the Philippines is a challenge in itself, but even more when you decide to go alone. If this was your case when you arrived, we would like you to share your experience. It might help other people who are also preparing for this new life in the Philippines.

Do you have any tips for people who are about to move to the Philippines on their own? Is the country suitable, for instance, for a single woman?

What was your state of mind when you arrived in the Philippines?

What type of accommodation did you choose: house-share, self-contained accommodation or apartment complex?

How did your integration go once settled? Do you think that being alone made it easier to make friends?

Did you encounter any particular difficulties, being alone when you arrived? If you had to do it all over again, would you take a chance?

Thank you for your contribution!

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

Mmmmm. I love these topic suggestions because it's like opening up a pandora's box of potential mischievous laconic answers.

Lets just say that because I've only ever been a visitor I can deal myself out of this hand. I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the show :D

Hello all, this seems an interesting topic to me. I first came to the Philippines in 2005 and was here for two years, ran out of money so I went back to the states and started working again; I called that an extended vacation. Anyway, upon arriving in the Ph. I was in the frame of mind that I was going to stay in the PH. a few months and then see some other Asian countries. I went to China for a while and Japan but ended up coming back to the PH. It felt like more of what I was needing than Japan or China. So, I came back and moved into a condo in Makati and just started going places. Eventually I met a lovely Filipina woman that I really hit it off with. We traveled around different Island s, then moved to Thailand and stayed there for a year. Got bored and we moved to India, this is where I discovered how difficult it is to travel on a Philippine passport, but I was running out of money by that time and had to decide about going back to the States and how to take the woman I had fallen in love with, with me. I went back and petitioned her on a fiancée visa. She eventually got there and we were married. Fifteen years later I retired for good and we decided to live in the PH. for good. Obviously, I love the countries beauty, people are people where ever you go, so that really doesn't matter too much to me, there are loving caring people and bad people and everything in between everywhere one goes. But I will say this the spirit of the Philippine people is exceptional; I have seen it a few other places, but it is common here. That and the beauty of the land is what draws me here. Peace and love

Nothing really special/spectacular about this place/province...yes its cheap and dirty here in my backwater province & I do eke out a decent living standard provided I stick with my 'strict' budget (never exceeded it nor do I intend to) & wish/pray I do not run out of money which to me would be a total disaster to my current retired lifestyle. (7 more yrs for my pension)
I've been here >2.5yrs now & can safely say that I've been pretty lucky being able to live a comfortable/care free life here with my partner on our 500m2 plot of land & house that sits close to the sea.
(Take away : Beauty/Happiness can be found/had...just don't ever run out of funds here)

Need to be there to be "sure" where to settle (although IF settle close to good neighbours they can change or move and you get bad neighbours, thats why I want to live faaar from neigbours   :)  - at least 200 meters.)
But from distance can much be researched where sure NOT settle   :)   E g earthquake maps, North Typhon Belt, rent/buy property price levels... If checking local news then some hints can be found of good and bad things e g murders,  missbehaving politicians...  Get Filipino friends who like to tsismis :)   (=gossip).   (I have got a "Personal News service" spread both geographical and living standard by that, who can tell things people spending their life inside guarded subdivisions dont get to know.  They have even told me faster than News about  earthquakes!   :) 
((Not faster than the seismographic data website but faster than the news. Concerning earthquakes its I who give info TO them about location and strength by when  they report to me they only know its a serious earthquake shaking where they live. One of them got their house leaning by an earthquake, but its made of flexible material so it didnt break  :top:   I gave them the tip to borrow highjacks and make the house straight again.  (I did myself when I made small adjustments when I extended my very old house with a container home without wheels. Its made for oil platforms but I bought it cheap from a bankrupt business.)

I am going to retire to the beautiful PI in 2024, the earliest.   

I bought a condo in Legazpi Village.  It serves as a nice base as it is a trendy area with walk distance to everything I need -- malls, restaurants, coffee shops, theaters, medical facilities.  There are even schools to walk to where I can apply  as a professor later on.

I especially love the half-mile leisure walk on the elevated pathway from my house to the Greenbelt Mall complex.  It has a chapel inside and I can walk there every Sunday and attend mass. 

After that, midway on my way home, I can walk to the Sunday market park and buy my fresh produce for the entire week ahead. 

Grocery, I will just have take my trolley cart and walk  to SM Hypermarket .

Although there's a wealth of information on this site, topics like this area interesting for people like me who are single, not in a relationship and seriously considering retiring in the Philippines. I hadn't really considered typhoons, earthquakes etc in weighing potential areas to move to do that's good info to be aware of in addition to the other day to day things people have discussed.

Parvaze wrote:

I hadn't really considered typhoons, earthquakes etc.

Earlier I had favorite parts at all main islands EXCEPT not bothering about checking Palawan because I found it located some "off"   - but then I found earthquakes maps and I skiped all other islands for Palawan   :)   because thats the only of the main islands, which dont have earthquakes.
And very few typhons too, I believe only 3 since 1964 and Palawan is long so no part has got all three typhons.
On top of that it has got voted top 5 most popular islands in the WORLD more than once!

Thanks for the info coach, I need hi speed reliable internet as I'll still be doing some work online (or at least what passes for reliable hi speed in the Philippines 😁) I've heard lots of good things about Palawan, will have to check it out to see how viable it is for me 🙂. Thanks again 👍

On Topic: I had been coming to the Philippines for 3-5 week vacations since 2005, finally moved here alone in 2019. I had traveled around the Philippines a bit, with probably 5-6 months in Davao during the two years I had a relationship there. Unfortunately that didn't work out, but I made a few Filipino friends there (not close friends, but very nice and helpful).

So I gravitated back to Angeles City, where I had originally met my American tourist and expat friends. At that point, I had mostly expat friends with a few Filipino friends. One in particular helped me determine where I wanted to stay when I moved here. I made more friends after I arrived--it wasn't hard.

I've realized that the Air Force picked this area for its major AF base for good reasons. It's sheltered from the worst of the weather--American friends emailed me breathlessly, "are you OK? I heard about the typhoon." Here, there was a little rain and wind, I had no idea it was a typhoon. It's not very humid and temperate.

Sure, there are earthquakes, but I'm from California and they don't scare me. Volcanoes are another matter, but the nearby one blew in 1992 and won't be able to get it up for another 500 years. The one in Tagaytay inconvenienced some friends, but no effects here.

I'm an adventurous single guy, and want to do more traveling around this beautiful country, thinking about where else I might want to live (Palawan? maybe if/when their internet is good) (Dumaguete?) (Two hours from anywhere?). Also looking for the right companion--there are plenty available, but I've learned the hard way over the years that many are not keepers.

So bottom line, if you do some homework, moving here alone can work out very nicely IMHO. Find some people you trust and seek their advice on everything until you get your feet on the ground--living here is different from visiting.

That's good info to know, i started out looking into Angeles but there seemed to be a lot of negativity around the city (basically being known only for prostitution/sex tourism) nice to see a different perspective from you.

Keep your money in your own country, rent so you can pack up and leave, never buy a round trip ticket, keep your wallet in your front pocket, and learn Dili Lang

I moved to the Philippines in 2013-06 from Australia to help poor families from my disability pension. It has been an invigorating experience, helping about 2,000 people in about 200 families. I have interviewed about 28,000 people here from all walks of life, but mostly poor people, sometimes with the help of children or old people who know enough English to do the 2-way translation. All my family is in Australia, and I have found it easy to fit in, and get to know so many good people. It is a pleasure to live here in the Philippines.

hey ledomirb.. glad to here some positive things..  thank you

ledomirb wrote:

I moved to the Philippines in 2013-06 from Australia to help poor families from my disability pension. It has been an invigorating experience, helping about 2,000 people in about 200 families. I have interviewed about 28,000 people here from all walks of life, but mostly poor people, sometimes with the help of children or old people who know enough English to do the 2-way translation. All my family is in Australia, and I have found it easy to fit in, and get to know so many good people. It is a pleasure to live here in the Philippines.

Please excuse me ledomirb, you moved from Oz to help poor families in the Philippines? Your disability pension must be pretty big helping 200 families.

You had to interview 28,000 thousand people to narrow it down to 200?

You've been in the Philippines for 8 years, that is 2,920 days. So the math says you interviewed 9+ people a day, every day for the 2,920 days.

If you have any money left over from that disability pension, send some my way.

Enzyte Bob wrote:

Please excuse me ledomirb, you moved from Oz to help poor families in the Philippines? Your disability pension must be pretty big helping 200 families.

You had to interview 28,000 thousand people to narrow it down to 200?

You've been in the Philippines for 8 years, that is 2,920 days. So the math says you interviewed 9+ people a day, every day for the 2,920 days.

If you have any money left over from that disability pension, send some my way.

C'mon now EB.  You think a man as helpful as ledo would not honor God on Sundays by resting?  Use a 6-day work week instead of 7 in your math.   :D     

Ledo, please send some my way too.   :thanks:

We have a mathematician checking even on godly work &  Btw Ledo if its not too much to ask can I be interviewed too?

:D

manwonder wrote:

We have a mathematician checking even on godly work

:D

I also check on handle names.  Like ledomirb could be broken down into ledom and irb, which reverses to bri model.  Brief Model?    :lol:   

Just kiddin, ledo.  Seriously, glad you are finding ways to help people in PI.  I do that myself.  Enjoy your stay.

Hi
   I moved to the Phillipines in 2015, and stayed 4 years.
Very new and exciting times.  Loved the Filipino people,  which is really what makes the Phillipines.   Other expats were often times crazy and dangerous.....I had not realized how many foreign nutjobs were there.    If you're industrious and self starter you can do well.

"Other expats were often times crazy and dangerous.....I had not realized how many foreign nutjobs were there."

I was in a restaurant in Greenbelt Makati a few years ago with an ex Filipina GF who stated in a somewhat laconic way that ' All the foreigners we get here are losers'

So I said ' I see... but what about me?'

She said 'Well yes but you're my loser"

:(

True... I have heard many stories... My fiancee couple of cousins moved to Angeles years ago, and tried to talk her into leaving the farm and going... Thankful she never left Mindanao for that life... But I understand the attraction for those girls($$)... Many stories... One married a guy that was there playing... needless to say... many issues/drama.
My belief is there are of course many good, decent expats that just want a good life with a good woman...
But with the sex business... many,many "losers" are attracted to that, and make more of a bad name for the rest I think. Of course not all that come for the sex business are losers, but maybe more curious. And want to see and experience those bars for themselves. .. But enough do that it makes a name for all.

Wellsfry wrote:

But with the sex business... many,many "losers" are attracted to that, and make more of a bad name for the rest I think.

Yes. But they make it much easier for us others to be found good in comparing   :)   

((A rather big part of "My news service" are Filipinas, who are disapointed at men,  like to communicate with me inspite of they dont get any money from me and I have told them we dont suit to marry each other.))

Wellsfry wrote:

Of course not all that come for the sex business are losers

If not, they arent good husband material, because if they would be they wouldnt visit places as sex bars in Angeles...  :)

It seem to be some similar at some datingsites. I know rather many Filipinas, who are very frustrated at a big part of men there expecting them to show nude at webcam when the women expect a serious conversation aiming at checking if it can become marriage...

It is too easy for just about about foreign dude to fall in love with any of these beauties.

we have all been there.

however, it is always best to err on the side of caution...

As the popular saying goes:
"you can take the girl out of the bar, but you can never take the bar out of the girl"

meaning?
don't expect to go to Angeles to meet the love of your life without some drama.

chances are she has a kid.
chances are she is also supporting her parents who are poor.
chances are you're the only foreigner/joe entertaining her.

Reality:
these girls left their prior life to work at a bar because - lets face it - it's easy money. they are money-motivated for the clients they get (not that this is a bad thing). Sure, there is so much allure of having a romantic courtship with any of these girls, but just be aware of what you're getting into, if something long term with just one is what you're getting into

Cheryl wrote:

Hello everybody,
How did your integration go once settled? Do you think that being alone made it easier to make friends?

Thank you for your contribution!

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

I would think all us expats would hope our integration would be safe.   I have made friends during my last 10 trips there.  From these acquaintances, what I do is I pick and maintain 3 main dive buddies from each of the 3 major island groupings - Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao (L, V, M for shot) 

So if I feel like traveling in  L  for instance,  I would connect with my L buddy in advance.   If I fancy going to V beaches, I would connect with my V buddy.  The same goes as for M area.  The key for me is having a geographic buddy helps with my integration anywhere in Pinas. 

Right now,  as I have mentioned in one of these threads, my L buddy sadly went down with Covid.  I had made strides recently and had chosen a replacement.  She is not as experienced as the other 3 (the prior L, and the V and M buddies) but I will be supporting her and teaching her along the way.

kristopherryanwatson wrote:

chances are she has a kid.

For OTHERS than bar girls high motivated to fool men at money,
for the others with kids its common the WOMAN has been scamed by the father of her child.  Then that can be GOOD for the foreigner by much easier to reach she find you very good in comparing...
(I know some such good women of otherthan bar type. )

chances are you're the only foreigner/joe entertaining her.

I guess you forgot to write a "not" before only.

Reality:
these girls left their prior life to work at a bar because - lets face it - it's easy money. they are money-motivated for the clients they get (not that this is a bad thing).

WHAT?! Of course its a bad thing for possibility to get a good relation,  when women have got used to the bar culture about fooling men at money...

True... Well said Kristopher... 100% agree.

Yes, I moved to the Philippines solo and stayed for almost 3 years. I did a ton of “pre-trip” research to make my arrival more calm and less stressful. That made all the difference to me. Don't be that person who just says to themself that they'll figure it out once they get there. You can, but why put yourself through that unecessary stress?

I was meeting up with a Filipina I met on a dating site 3 months prior to my arrival. Yes, it worked out. We stayed together the whole time I was there. I found a place for she and I to stay for a few days when we both met up at Mactan International Airport. I was coming in from the US and she from northern Mindanao island. We stayed near the airport after we met in person at the airport for the first time. My hotel arranged for the transportation to take me to the airport to pick her up and return us to the hotel. That all went very well as did our stay at the hotel.

The first “pre-trip” thing I did from the US, was to find budget hotels or Pension Houses in and around Cebu City. The Google Maps app for your phone or tablet will show you all sorts of options and when you click on one, it will show pictures (sometimes rates), where on the map of your location you are searching, etc. very helpful. Find out where restaurants are the aame way. Same for big malls, like Ayala or Robinson.

On packing your suitcase: Bring very little with you, as the individual stores and Malls will have just about everything you could want. Know what the luggage limits are per bag and per person, or you'll have to pay extra or leave some things behind. Any sharp objects like tweezers and even small scissors will be confiscated if they are found in your carry-on luggage, so put those in checked luggage.

Leave ALL POLYESTER clothing behind!!! Polyester teeshirts reflect your own body heat back to you and in the hot & humid tropics, that's the last thing you want. All natural fiber like cotton or linen are ideal as they are cooler and breathable fabric and dry quickly.

Take 2 credit cards/debit cards with you. One for backup in case the other doesn't work for whatever reason. It can happen. Get a Charles Schwab VISA credit card if you can. They will refund ALL bank and ATM fees as well as currency conversion fees at the end of each month!

Immediately go to an ATM machine at the airport when you arrive and get 2,000 or more Filipino Pesos.  You will need them. American dollars may or may not be ok for meals at the airport and elsewhere around town. as well as for your taxi ride from the airport.  Most stores will accept your credit card even though it's not a Filipino bank card. No problem. But always, always, always carry plenty of pesos with you.

Ask your taxi driver about how much it will cost you to get into town AND BE SURE HE USES THE METER. Insist on that or tell him you'll find a taxi that will and start to get out of the taxi. He will quickly agree. If not, he was a scammer out to fleece you. Find another driver will use the meter, and believe me… most will.

No need to tip the driver when you arrive. Just pay him and say, “Salamat” which is Tagalog for, “Thank you.” English is widely spoken around the Philippines in cities and towns, but out in the province (the countryside) not so much. Take a local with you if needed. The exception to that is some older people who didn't learn English in school. Some older taxi drivers come to mind.

Just have fun, smile a lot, say Salamat for thank you and koomoosta for how are you. Above all… be patient, kind and NEVER, EVER raise your voice to a Filipino no matter what. Have fun!

The other good thing about Pampanga is proximity to a decent airport. I'm

I'll finish the sentence for you Sek.

"I'm also impressed with the local speciality Sisig and the gorgeous women"  :D

I'll finish the sentence for you Sek.

"I'm gonna fly solo to the airport and have a blast with locals, men and women."  :D

Fair enough.

Should read, I always want to be close to a decent sized airport. You never know when you might need to leave.

sekmet wrote:

Fair enough.

Should read, I always want to be close to a decent sized airport. You never know when you might need to leave.

That is smart!

sekmet wrote:

Depending of situation you can need permit to leave the country anyway, and when so its no big difference if being close to an airport.

asianXplorer wrote:

I was meeting up with a Filipina I met on a dating site 3 months prior to my arrival. Yes, it worked out. We stayed together the whole time I was there. I found a place for she and I to stay for a few days when we both met up at Mactan International Airport. I was coming in from the US and she from northern Mindanao island. We stayed near the airport after we met in person at the airport for the first time. My hotel arranged for the transportation to take me to the airport to pick her up and return us to the hotel. That all went very well as did our stay at the hotel.

Have fun!

Can we tell us more?   :D

sekmet wrote:

Fair enough.

You never know when you might HAVE to leave

Thanks!

well,  some men just aren't too particularly street smart. especially some older gentleman. they tend to be naive and can be fooled very easily by some pretty, little sexy thing.  those don't need to pull off much magic to get some man to unload his wallet and spend big money on her for the attention he gets.

if you have the money to spend, and superficial, short-term romance is what you're looking for, and you know what you're getting into, go ahead!  it's a man's kingdom here. as long as you know what exactly you're paying for.

if you have the money to spend, and superficial, short-term romance is what you're looking for, and you know what you're getting into, go ahead!

Well. 
ok IF the woman isnt serios neither
BUT if  the woman is serious and aim at marriage, then its NOT ok, then it would be scaming by the MAN...
I know many Filipinas, who are frustrated at many men even at suppoused to be serious datingsites only aim at geting sex without saying so.

if you have the money to spend, and superficial, short-term romance is what you're looking for, and you know what you're getting into, go ahead!  it's a man's kingdom here. as long as you know what exactly you're paying for.

That's me.  I tried real relationships.     Been there, done that.  Two kids already and that is enough.   :D   I  just hangout with practical girls nowadays.

It just didn't work for me and where my mind is at  now, I am cool with it.   For those who had it working  for them, congratulations!

coach53 wrote:

Well. 
ok IF the woman isnt serios neither
BUT if  the woman is serious and aim at marriage, then its NOT ok, then it would be scaming by the MAN...
I know many Filipinas, who are frustrated at many men even at suppoused to be serious datingsites only aim at geting sex without saying so.

Good point.  It works both ways like you said, that is, there are women who get money from guys and disappears, and on the other side, there are men who get the, uhm, sexy time as according to Borat,  :D  and then disappears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIQ9b1FcWxw