Declaring fatherhood for unmarried couple?

We are a German-Vietnamese couple with a daughter, but we aren't legally married. Now we would like to declare fatherhood so that our daughter can get a German passport. A government office told us that this can only be done if we are married. Still, I have trouble accepting this answer as definite. How can it be that all kids of unmarried couples will be denied a father? Or is this possibly a rule applying only to foreigners?

Does anyone have information about this?

Vitamin_E wrote:

We are a German-Vietnamese couple with a daughter, but we aren't legally married. Now we would like to declare fatherhood so that our daughter can get a German passport. A government office told us that this can only be done if we are married. Still, I have trouble accepting this answer as definite. How can it be that all kids of unmarried couples will be denied a father? Or is this possibly a rule applying only to foreigners?

Contact your consulate they are the ones issuing the passport, not VN.

i have no idea if its different for different foreginer, but we did in at people's committee district xxx. which office you need to go depend on your wife family book registered address. of course there is some of procedure u need to clear like DNA test, translation and notarisation.

@colinoscapee:
Of course, they said we should first declare fatherhood in Vietnam.

IvanSng wrote:

i have no idea if its different for different foreginer, but we did in at people's committee district xxx. which office you need to go depend on your wife family book registered address. of course there is some of procedure u need to clear like DNA test, translation and notarisation.

Are you married though? My problem comes from that we are not married.

Vitamin_E wrote:

Check with the German Embassy for directions. Did you register the child's birth with the Embassy?

Are you on the childs birth certificate?

Vitamin_E wrote:

@colinoscapee:
Of course, they said we should first declare fatherhood in Vietnam.

Yes, but did they tell you how. It sounds like you need to do a DNA test.
Do you want to take your daughter to Germany or just get a passport?

We are not married thats why i am replying to your issued, anyway your embassy cant help your situation. At least thats what i went through.

My friend who is in the same situation and got his son a passport said you need to apply for a CRBA, consular report of birth abroad.

I'm British and not married with my VN partner but was able to get a  British passport for my son quite easily after we had processed his Vietnamese passport first which was more difficult and complicated. You will need to do a DNA test, some police papers and some other documents with your partners home province government office.

colinoscapee wrote:

No, that couldn't be done for the same reason. If I were, I think I wouldn't need to declare fatherhood anymore.

IvanSng wrote:

We are not married thats why i am replying to your issued, anyway your embassy cant help your situation. At least thats what i went through.

Ok, thank you for your report. I think I will indeed talk again to the consulate and ask them what to do if we cannot easily declare fatherhood in Vietnam. You are right, they should know what to do.

Gogo888 wrote:

I'm British and not married with my VN partner but was able to get a  British passport for my son quite easily after we had processed his Vietnamese passport first which was more difficult and complicated. You will need to do a DNA test, some police papers and some other documents with your partners home province government office.

Ok, thanks. Probably it's similar for Germany, I will talk again with the consulate.

Vitamin_E wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

No, that couldn't be done for the same reason. If I were, I think I wouldn't need to declare fatherhood anymore.

It sounds like your embassy is not being overly helpful.

If marriage is a problem,  a man can adopt your daughter,. Perhaps procedure is easier. :))

hahaha lazy to commend but you are right haha