Cambodia opens up from tomorrow

Latest news from the government, from tomorrow November 15, there will be no quarantine anymore for fully vaccinated travelers.

Even the PCR test before flying is not necessary anymore, although there might be airlines that require it.

On arrival a quick test is done and results in about 20 minutes. If negative the person is allowed to travel anywhere in Cambodia.

Great news I would say.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

That is a good news! I hope everything will be normal again. Indeed, cheers for that.

Dear Joe,

Thanks for the news. Can you give a link to where the official version of the new rules can be found?

Thanks and good luck!

Will they be issuing visas again Joe?

A bit more info:

The pre-flight PCR test is still required.

No quarantine for fully vaccinated travelers.
No deposit on arrival anymore.
Forte covid insurance still required.

Visa requirements still the same: either an electronic on line e-visa. (tourist), or an E- type visa from an embassy (aka business visa).

If any more new/changed/cancelled rules are published by the government I will let you know as soon as possible.

Joe

Hello Johnfin, no, the visa on arrival system is still suspended.

Joe

Hello Anne-Marie.

The original notification is in Khmer and there is not yet an official translation of the directive.

You can go to the Facebook group Cambodia visa and work permit group where they have a Google translation and a professional translation posted.

Joe

Dear joe, thank you for your latest up date, I am one happy man, may I wish you and your family all the best for Xmas and that the new year brings all you desire, Ah Kun.

Hi Joe
Can you advise me please
If I enter into Cambodia late November on an Electronic e-visa tourist can I extend it beyond the 30 days without exiting Cambodia?
Thanks in advance Roy

Tourist visas can be extended once for 30 days, at least that was the situation before Covid.

Note that 2x 30 days is not the same as 2 months, certainly not with months like December and January as both have 31 days, so 62 days in total.

Cheers.

Joe

Wow! So cool! Really happy for all that want to see family or friends or  just hobo around Cambodia on a tourist visa. Wonderful news!!

The rapid test for vaccinated travelers is free of charge:
Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told The Post on November 15 that there is no payment required for the Covid-19 rapid test given to all arrivals through all ports of entry.

Hey if you get to Siem Reap drop me a line, I might even let you buy me a beer and you can fill me in on your travels since you've been off Facebook!

@hdgh29 are all the roads now repaired yet in Siem Reap mate?

Roads repaired? Only in the areas outside the town centre. City centre streets including around old market and pub street area are still pretty rough. Often a road I want to go down is closed off by trenches etc, so detours are a daily requirement. But it's getting there, another 3 or 4 months and it should be all done.

Thanks Joe
Much appreciated

Hey! I will. I have been thinking on going back. Ideally want to be able to get the retirement extension of stay so I think I will have to wait awhile until a few more things open up as far as visas go. I don't think I would qualify for the business visa at an embassy unless I found a very friendly embassy somewhere that would let me in so I could get the extension of stay :-). Hope you are well in SR!

Really? So the 'ordinary visa' still not available, only the Tourist visa? Joe - is that right?

No it's not right. There are several visas available now.

T (tourist) visa, from embassies
E (business or ordinary) from embassies
e-visa (tourist) electronic on line

There are some agencies that claim to be able to change a tourist visa into an E visa but I'm not sure if that is really true. It was possible when people with tourist visas were stuck in Cambodia but now that the country is open I'm not sure if it's still possible.

Joe

Thanks Joe. Sounds like to get the ordinary visa going to an embassy is the path. If it were possible to convert a tourist visa and get retirement extension that would be good. I'm pretty happy where I am. There are no visas here. I get 6 months at a time for just about free. I did check with an embassy and they require filling out the business or work forms and a sponsorship letter. That was in Washington DC. They also require a pre review document prior to showing up. Thanks for the info.

The ministry were quite clear when covid struck they allowed tourist visas to run out and you were allowed to extend your leaving date without penalty until you could leave, E or ER visas you could extend as normal, ER visas are for retired visitors who stay for long periods, tourist visas are for 30 days and can only be extended 30 days more, so check with your airline they will tell you what you have to on your visit to Cambodia after the 15/11/2021, as things do change quickly.

Latest news is that those that come in on a T tourist visa or an e-visa tourist this year, can apply for an EB (business) or ER (retirement) extension of stay.

Don't know how long this will last but for now it's a fact.

Cheers.

Joe

Hi Joe,   I make fiberglass motorbike parts in Australia,  in my back yard,   can't compete with China for prices,  need to move to 3rd world,   
Cambodia is supposed to be one of the easiest places to start a business,  but  I need cooler temperatures,  When I blow up gmaps,  it looks like there's some high country between Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville,   Do you know if there are places I could rent some living and work space that isn't too hot there?   Simon
@vitamine27

You ask for cool places in tropical Cambodia?

To give you an idea where to look: Mondulkiri is the coolest province.

Good luck.

Joe
Thanks Joe,   it might be too much wilderness,  I was hoping to find somewhere with people and electricity,  like Tagaytay in Ppines,  or Dalat in Vn,   or Cameron Highlands in ML,

Highlands,  but next to civilization,  DHL branch,  hardware supplies ...

Doesn't have to be Bokor Mountain cool,   just tending more to mid 20's  ~ 600 m altitude.
@vitamine27

Mid 20's are possible but only during the nights, the whole year through.

The only place I can think of with hardware shops, DHL and so on is Koh Kong. It's at the sea and close to Cardamom mountains, one of the last rainforests.

Then I know from friends that in Vietnam Hanoi is cool as it is situated in the hills.

Good luck.

Joe
Thanks Joe,  My friend was in Vietnam telling me to go there just before Covid,    they don't have nice biz reg laws like Cambodia,  he was advising me just to set up and pay whatever bribes they ask for,   while working on biz registration,   I was a bit nervous about that,  some people on expat forums got kicked out of their business at short notice.    Hanoi is actually really hot in Summer,   but there's some highlands on the edge of the city that would be good.    I think I need to check Koh Kong out,   I'd love to be within swimming range of a beach.