Is Turkey still Secular? Life in Izmir

These may be naive questions, but ones I feel need to asked and answered.

How secular is Turkey? I have read some very varying reports. Some say you get harrassed for holding hands with a man ( I dont kiss in public), Blackberries getting "erased or service stopped" laptop issues, etc. Alcohol possession is illegal.
I doubt so much of what I read in the papers, so its best to ask people who live there.

We are a family: husband wife a 6 and 3 year old. We are starting the process with my husbands employer to live in Turkey. It will take about 8 -12 months.

We are looking at Izmir or Antayla..Could ANYONE tell me about life in these areas. Originally we thought about Bodrum but wonder if its too much of a toursit destination.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer ,

Depending where you are secularity scales. Concerning some of your questions;

you won't be get harrassed for holding hands in public or even kissing which i haven't so far..

I don't use a Blackberry but my friends do , as far as i know they are happy with it and last time i checked my laptop had no issues ;)

I do posses Alcohol and i didn't get in to any trouble yet...

But as i said it varies from town to town , even district to district which you will be learning what to do and where to do it by time if you move here.

Concerning izmir , izmir is the one of the most secular cities which you can live in Turkey, yet as i mentioned above there are some districts in izmir as well (which you will probably never go) where alcohol possession or kissing in public might be not welcomed.

Antalya and Bodrum as well quite relaxed and nice cities , yet i like izmir better for being a native

hope it helps

Thank you that does help!!

you're welcome, contact me any time you need help with anything

I am interested in hearing from other who live in the area as well!

Hi Boston Mama,

I sent you a PM instead :)

Turkey in my opinion offers the best of both worlds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-akFau_nlNY

I love this documentary on the nature of secular and traditional  Turkey.

Sincerely,

Samza

I have watched 3-4 minutes of this video. But not totally it contains correct information.

Headscarved people now can enter the universities.

About eating pork, i dont eat and most of people in TUrkey i believe dont eat too because of religious beliefs.

In some places of Istanbul, people can look strangely if a girl kisses his boyfriend, foe example in Gungören, Esenler. It depends on where.

There are some kind of districts with different cultures in Istanbul. Some has very modern people, some has basic traditional, rereligious minded.

On buses, it is not very rare but a girl can sit his boyfriend's lap. I saw this 3 or 4 times. Everyone on the bus was looking strangely but noone could tell anything.

However,that can be a event like that

hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=the-8216sex-bus8217-quarrel-resulted-in-violence-in-istanbul-2011-04-18

I dont have time to write more but as a result i want to tell, you can even almost make love on the streets or at cafês, but in a few districts.

And time, time is important. It is not a good idea to get on the train alone after 10 p.m.  for a woman.

Here is Istanbul.

But Antalya, that is different from general of Turkey.

Ahh so people who wear a heascarf can now go to unıversıty too? Good because that rule made no sense.  See I dıdn,t know that :)

Thanks for the reply. Of course it seems to be just standard edicate as to how a women would handle herself her in the USA.

It all sounds so reasonable. As a mom and wife, I have zero inentions of doing anything in public. But I do kiss my friends on the cheek. I thought this could be the offense along with holding my husbands hand in public. I was not sure if we had seperate compartents in the bus or not. I read a lot and it appears that Turkey is still secular and modern, but there are cautions signs in the US about the new government in Turkey.

That is why it is so great to have a public forum to ask question to people that are actually on Turkish soil, as we hope to be soon!

Jennifer

Hi until very recently recently I lived in Izmir for 4 years and I totally loved it. As a foreigner the only strange looks i recieved were ones of couriousity when people hearing you speak English. There is a small but very friendly expat scene there but to be honest I usually hung around with the young single ones but I know there are some really great expats families who live there and I think your children would have a great time living there, the people are very friendly and will try to help you even if its through "tourist" sign language until you learn the basic language. It is a very relaxed atmosphere and I dont know where you read about blackberries/ internet ect that is not true, you will find the majority of people dont look twice at public displays of affection but as mention here that would be different in certain areas but its unlikely you would visit those areas. All in all Izmir is a great city and full of fun, friendly people but I found after 4 years it was so wonderul that moving on made it feel like living in a bubble because you can get very used to such a great lifestyle.

Antalya and Bodrum are also wonderful but I would say Bodrum, althought VERY touristy and noisy in the summer, in the winter there is a really great feeling of community.

Enjoy Turkey its such a wonderful place to live.

Is not it normal local people look when hear speaking foreing language? I look in that case but for a only while maybe i look to undersatnd where they can be from or what language they speak. I can guess it is not nice for the person speaks but these looks at least my looks are not unfriendly.

And yes headscarfed- people can enter inside universities but inside lesson, that is the choice of professor. I heard some of them dont let enter.

Yes I agree as I said they are looks of curiousity not malice when people hearing foreign language being spoken,

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=102858

I am drinking a beer right now just south of Izmir. Yes, its secular. its like Europe. Sometimes you have to be sensitive, esp. in the eastern part of country, but you will feel at home here. the people are very friendly.

Thanks all,

The more I read about Izmir, the more excited I am to move!

Good. Efes is the Turkish beer, btw and its really good. Efes is the name of Ephesus, the ancient city. I have a wife and 4 daughters with me in Turkey and we have not had any problems. Although the shopkeepers always talk to me and not my wife.

Thanks kiwi.
It is a big under taking as you know.  The alcohol isnt really a huge issue,(however, I do enjoy a good pint) but knowing what is legal illegal is the ISSUE. Who wants to go to a foreign county and be ignorant (and ultimately arrested). It just makes for a bad scene. We really want to make our experience there peaceful and enriching.

This board has been really helpful in making us feel more comfortable about our decision to move to Izmir.

Now we need to center in on our specific area of Izmir.

Thanks again to all who responded!

Hi Jennifer!

I'm new in town, and I have to say that I'm happy to be here! at the beginning, I was afraid as you, looking for information everywhere and afraid about a new life in a non-European country (our first time). But I'm here since August and the first impression was good! People are so free here! seems really to be in a UE country! of course, they have their traditions, but nothing to be afraid of! I found that people are so fiendly! specially with kids!!!! we asked to some colleagues before coming, and they suggested Alsancak to live in. and it's great, maybe a little expensive, but all is near here...the city center, hospitals, train station, etc.
If you have any question, just ask!

Hello guys I'm mahmut I hold the turkish nationality but I was born outside in lebanon and stayed till now , I'm 27 years old I speak arabic english french and some dutch but not turkish because my parents didn't speak turkish with me ...my aim is to go to live in turkey as I go to there on holidays and fall in love with it , I took my mind to stay In turkey I have relatives in izmir and mersin that I visited ... Can anyone help me or advise me if I can adapt with the country and if I can find a job if I don't speak the language while of course I will take intensive courses in language ... Thank you a lot in advance for any help

Hi bigmoe,

Maybe you should start a new thread on the Izmir forum for better visibility.

Hi,

If you are married with kids and respect some basic standards in Izmir you will be fine. Holding hands is NOT an issue a peck on the lips is NOT an issue. Making out in a conservative part of town in a family area can get you tist, tisted. :)

I see Turkish youth and young professionals doing it all the time. Drinking is not a problem where alcohol is sold. You wouldn't want to be carrying around a beer in your hand as you strolled as you wouldn't in most parts of the US either. Common sense really canim. :)

One thing I can tell you is Turkish culture is built on family and people love and cherish kids. You will have no problems with people welcoming you as a married couple with kids in the community . Just get used to be given unsolicited advice on how to take care of your little ones and random people touching them. :))))))

If you have questions just send me an email I'm happy to help you.

Caterina Herrington

I lived in Izmir for years and years and I know for the fact that Izmir is the most secular city of all. You should NOT compare Turkey with the Middle East - the culture is entirely different. The further west you go, the more secular it gets. Consuming / selling alcohol is legal. Holding hands, kissing in public is not illegal - but as with anywhere else you have to respect the society. You wouldn't want to kiss your boyfriend or girlfriend passionately where kids hang out anyway, but a small kiss is always accepted. If you go to bars / pubs / nightclubs, it is certainly not an issue.

Whoever said consuming alcohol or carrying one is illegal is totally making it up!

There is nothing to worry about Turkey at all. And Turkey gets the most rave reviews for political reasons. Do not read them, just go to Turkey and you will see how beautiful and lovely it is.

hello,Jennifer Türkey is a modern country,what you have written stems from imperalism obscurantism,you are welcome in Türkey,people some mix with arabic countries and societies thats not true,Türkey is wonderland with enjoyful people,no doubt coming to Türkey ypu will love Türkey as soon as you know people and you will see its not like that,Türkey welcomes you.

the safest country in the world
take it easy and dont mind these question....

Hi,
Türkiye so modern country and still secular so you can varity kind of different culture people that West part so modern city like Izmir... Izmir so nature beauty a city and toomany business opportunities there life so peacefull that if see that never can't give-up