Opportunity to Change Lives as a Teacher of English in Vietnam

I have this idea to build an English center back in my hometown - Nghe An - 1.5 hours flight time away from Saigon. It's a poor beach village, kids study English in school but mostly grammar. So I really want to give them an opportunity to learn real English - pronunciation and fluency. 

For foreigners it can be boring to live there, the only thing you can do is to swim in the beach everyday and eat fresh seafood. You still have access to all kinds of meat and vegetables in the local market but there is no proper restaurant. Also, it can be extremely hot in the summer. This can feel more like a charity project where you help to give the opportunity to learn real English to a remote area.

So, I am writing to get your opinion on whether it is a feasible plan. Would I be able to recruit any foreign teacher to such a centre at all?

Phase 1: Online teaching - 6 students per class - rate 380k (equivalent to $17) per hour.

This phase may be applied for 1 to 2 years. Seeing that it is not easy for the local people to accept foreign teachers.

Phase 2: physical class in the village, with detail as below:

Pros:

- I will provide A/C and furnished rooms for teachers. Classrooms may also be located in the same house.
- Cheap expenses for living.
- I will arrange to have someone cook for you if you cannot cook.
- Salary about $1,000-1,500 per month, or more.
- Online teaching opportunity to the same students when you leave and go back to Saigon or your country.
- Short or long-term stays to choose, can be varied from 1 month to 1 year.
- I will pay for flight tickets, rooms will be provided for free.
- I myself am a lawyer so I will definitely take good care of your work permit/ working visa/ tax filing/resident registration with local police. A resident card will not be included in the package because (i) it is expensive and (ii) it is just a (convenient and powerful) replacement of the work visa. If you ask for a Resident Card separately you will have to pay for it.
- The program to be offered will be 1. Communication class and 2. TOEIC. I know that TOEIC means nothing but it's a hook for people to join the class. At the end of the day, what I want is the opportunity for kids to approach real English.

Cons:

- Boring and maybe difficult weather.
- Local people can't communicate in English.
- 200% attention from local people can be difficult to bear.
- Boring cuisine, not much service or restaurant, no bar.
- Relationships with local people and local authorities can be very complicated, that you are recommended to always keep a certified copy of your papers in hand (teaching certificate, work permit, work visa, resident registration, passport).
- Never accept private connections or appointments with the local students. 
- What you teach will be different from what local teachers teach, keep in mind to always have a compromising attitude. Never try to argue that what you teach is the ultimate truth, even if it is. 
- What you teach may not help your students at their school at all. The students still need to follow the state school's program in order to pass their exams and get into a university. You simply help them to be able to communicate in English. Even if the state school's program sucks, you are not there to point that out.
- If you leave the place before 3 months, 50% of your plane ticket, work permit, and work visa fee must be deducted from your salary. You stay there for a minimum of 3 months then I pay for it all.
- Police there act like they are God, there is no space for negotiation or law, so you need to watch out for your actions carefully.

Note that this is just a plan, and will not be done in the very near future. I just need to know your opinion on whether it is feasible at all? Would any foreigners apply to this program? What else can I do to make this successful?

I added here some pictures of my hometown:

https://imgur.com/a/1GMqFB6

Hello sir/ madam,  I am a Cameroonian and I have been teaching English language in China for over 4 years.  Don't bother where your school is located, what really matters is whether the area is conducive for studies and the availability of teaching materials. Teaching English is  really fun and playful  when the teacher likes what he or she does. Teaching English for me is to be able to change life's and show a good example to your students  by making them fall in love with the language.

It's a poor beach village,

Poor - Who pays?
That might be a hole in your plan as it won't be cheap to set up and run, but locals may very well not be able to afford fees ... assuming they're interested in their kids learning English in the first place.

VanKhanh Ho wrote:

I have this idea to build an English center back in my hometown - Nghe An - 1.5 hours flight time away from Saigon. It's a poor beach village, kids study English in school but mostly grammar. So I really want to give them an opportunity to learn real English - pronunciation and fluency...

Thanks again for reaching out to me via Zalo for my input about this.

As I mentioned, I think THIGV will have meaningful feedback for you about your idea.

The only suggestion I want to reiterate here would be that, unless there is in fact some one-right-way of pronunciation at your school, then you will always have some Vietnamese teachers resisting correction of their pronunciation, and thus the children will not fully accept the pronunciation of the Foreigner teacher as much as they would if it were the only English pronunciation they heard.

I'm saying this from first-hand experience during my brief teaching time in Tam Kỳ, Quảng Nam.

It's understandable that you are saying the teachers are expected to follow official guidelines for teaching and not complain about it or try to undercut those guidelines.

But here I'm talking about proper pronunciation, which seems to be a key benefit you want the children to reap from attending the school.

As far as I know, there is no specific regulation regarding pronunciation in Vietnam, and it ends up being a very subjective value, inconsistent from one place to another.

Of course that will mean that you can't just hire people who qualify as ESL teachers on paper.

To be true to the goal of the school, anyone applying as a teacher will need to undergo a video interview to be certain that they speak English well enough to be a teacher in your school

As a NOTE to the casual reader, the OP is my lawyer in HCMC.

We have known each other over two years now, to the point where I'm even personally acquainted with her partner and her mother.

In my opinion, she is very trustworthy and totally sincere.

VanKhanh_Ho wrote:

I added here some pictures of my hometown:

Here are those photos you attempted to post...

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2021/11/img_20211101_161554.jpg

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2021/11/img_20211101_161558.jpg

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2021/11/img_20211101_161604.jpg

Fred wrote:

It's a poor beach village,

Poor - Who pays?
That might be a hole in your plan as it won't be cheap to set up and run, but locals may very well not be able to afford fees ... assuming they're interested in their kids learning English in the first place.

Good point. so I checked with the people back in my hometown and they spend about 250k VND per month for each child to study English. My proposed classes may be too expensive. Worst scenario, I may upscale the class (12 instead of 6), sacrifice quality.

VanKhanh Ho wrote:

I have this idea to build an English center back in my hometown - Nghe An - 1.5 hours flight time away from Saigon. It's a poor beach village, kids study English in school but mostly grammar. So I really want to give them an opportunity to learn real English - pronunciation and fluency. 

For foreigners it can be boring to live there, the only thing you can do is to swim in the beach everyday and eat fresh seafood. You still have access to all kinds of meat and vegetables in the local market but there is no proper restaurant. Also, it can be extremely hot in the summer. This can feel more like a charity project where you help to give the opportunity to learn real English to a remote area.

So, I am writing to get your opinion on whether it is a feasible plan. Would I be able to recruit any foreign teacher to such a centre at all?

Yes, but I think once you move to Phase 2, this sort of thing would work well as a volunteer teaching program that would appeal to gap-year young adults and retirees, basically people looking for a unique experience. Professional teachers generally won't be very interested.

As such, you wouldn't really need to pay a salary. Instead, invest the money in providing the volunteers with a fantastic experience, Also, maybe work permits may then not be necessary. Not sure what kind of visas volunteers will need/can get.

In addition, you might partially format it more like an "English Camp" with a focus on activities rather than all classroom instruction.

I will be looking for a teaching job in Vietnam next year and if I didn't have my teenage daughter with me, I would definitely be interested in taking a job in a small beach village - I enjoy small remote places, and although most foreigners will want more social life, restaurants etc, I'm sure there must be other more unusual people like me out there! I would do it, but right now it is not possible for me. I wish you all the best with your project!

I have followed your contributions to expat.com over the years and have appreciated your "Vietnamese view" and guidance in matters. I wish there were more good Vietnamese contributors in the expat.com community!

It is so great that you want to help people in your home town to have more opportunities, I wish you the best of luck. I am not a candidate for the position, I'm retired and too old to teach, though I'd like to do some one-on-one coaching later. Anyway I have an idea that is a variation on your plan. 

I've been following an English cafe in Saigon, and visited a few times, and I help answering questions online. Coffee Talk English - on Facebook - started with a cafe and English club in District 5. Mostly 20 year olds turned out a few nights a week for a chance to speak English, play board games. A couple foreigners might show up too.  You had to buy a drink to hang out. Personally I don't think a lot is learned when eight introverts sit around a table and two extroverts talk, but English clubs are social magnets.

Then they added a second cafe and classrooms in a house in Binh Thanh, and started providing courses, maybe 2 years ago now. They have a full program now, teaching small English and IELTS classes,  plus Youtube and Zoom and Facebook community. The teachers are a mix of advanced Viet and one or two foreigners.

So instead of starting a school outright, you could build up from a community group, have a cafe for income to hire helpers. Perhaps lease a large enough house for AirBnB apartments, also for bootstrapping, and attracting foreigners to your town. I don't think you have to begin with a native English teacher, that may be overrated. Start with a very fluent Vietnamese, maybe one who has been overseas. A local or someone from Vinh? and grow from there.

In either case, I bet Hương at Coffee Talk would be a good person to bounce your idea off of, she is very nice and so enthusiastic.

Do you had Facebook  ? 🤔😂 or zalo ?

Good Morning.
I am interested in your idea of starting your program. I have messaged you on Facebook. Also sent a friend request. I would like to talk to you. I have included my mobile in the message. I will give you my e-mail ***. I have the experience and background needed to help you with this project.
Thank you
John Baratki

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please do not post contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi VanKhanh!

I really like your idea and yes, I think you would be able to recruit teachers. It would definitively attract volunteers, as someone already suggested. Your conditions are fair and the program would be a great experience for them. No restaurants or bars may be a bit boring for some, but being able to go to the beach every day is a huge plus! You also did not mention how many teachers there would be - it is much more fun if there are more people so they can spend free time together. If it was only one or two teachers there at once, that might be very boring and difficult for some.

If there are no restaurants, having someone to prepare lunch or dinner would surely be convenient. I also think a good idea would be to offer Vietnamese lessons for your foreign teachers, just some basics like numbers, fruits and veggies, questions like "How much does this cost?" and such, that will be handy when they are shopping at the market.

How to make it successful?
- organisation and curriculum, materials and good lesson planning. supporting and taking care of your teachers. good marketing and reviews. being trustworthy.

I was working at a center in Vietnam doing marketing and bringing new teachers and volunteers in, so if you have any questions at all, you can message me and I will be happy to talk to you and give you some tips!

I am currently at home in Europe, but am thinking of coming back to Vietnam, so maybe I would even be interested in staying at your village and helping you set up the center, if we talk and you give me some more information. I was also in charge of preparing the curriculum and some lesson planning, so I could also help with that.

Anyways, good luck and get in touch!  :)

Hi I think it is a wonderful idea.  I hope to be in hcmc in June.  I did work like this for a charity in Cambodia.  It was called conversations with foreigners.    I really think getting older people looking for the experience is a great way to do it.   Loads of older irish people like myself want to experience something like this. You don't need to pay them - you just need to provide accommodation and food and some cultural experiences.  I willl be working as a teacher in hcmc / hopefully. But I am very happy to talk to you about attracting people in later adulthood out to teach.   It is absolutely so possible without paying for flights.   Younger people won't last as long if there is nothing in place.  But older ones will - they can make their own entertainment and immerse in the culture.  Let me know if you want to chat more.  Best of luck carol

Caroby wrote:

Hi I think it is a wonderful idea.  I hope to be in hcmc in June.  I did work like this for a charity in Cambodia.  It was called conversations with foreigners.    I really think getting older people looking for the experience is a great way to do it.   Loads of older irish people like myself want to experience something like this. You don't need to pay them - you just need to provide accommodation and food and some cultural experiences.  I willl be working as a teacher in hcmc / hopefully. But I am very happy to talk to you about attracting people in later adulthood out to teach.   It is absolutely so possible without paying for flights.   Younger people won't last as long if there is nothing in place.  But older ones will - they can make their own entertainment and immerse in the culture.  Let me know if you want to chat more.  Best of luck carol

Long term (longer than 3 months) that will only work if the older people have a bachelor's degree and are certified to teach English as a second language.

And they would definitely need to be in a legal (with work permit) paid position in Vietnam.

Vietnamese teachers in local schools who teach any level of English to their students make extra money by requiring homework from their students; paid for by parents.

When one of those teachers (or a local English language center) learns that someone is taking away their opportunity to earn money, they will quickly report the foreigner to immigration.

In addition to penalties and possible deportation for violating visa laws, the government of Vietnam has recently announced a push to ensure that all students are receiving English language instruction from fully certified teachers, in order to raise the level of English language proficiency amongst students.

It's a nice concept in theory, but Vietnam would have to significantly change visa rules and employment rules in order for that to be allowed.

“Kids study English in school but mostly grammar. So I really want to give them an opportunity to learn real English - pronunciation and fluency.” I've noticed that many schools in Vietnam make a Big Thing about grammar and in so doing take all the fun out of it. Language is about people communicating with each other, not about obeying formal rules. So I absolutely see that  having ‘foreign volunteers' can be a useful way to get them to enjoy the subject. As to “fluency” well, let's start with “competency.”

CHRISLANGTON wrote:

“Kids study English in school but mostly grammar. So I really want to give them an opportunity to learn real English - pronunciation and fluency.” I've noticed that many schools in Vietnam make a Big Thing about grammar and in so doing take all the fun out of it. Language is about people communicating with each other, not about obeying formal rules. So I absolutely see that  having ‘foreign volunteers' can be a useful way to get them to enjoy the subject. As to “fluency” well, let's start with “competency.”

Well, this really depends on the purpose of the kid or kid's parents for the kid's future. If the kid never need to work in an office job which he/she need to write report or announcement which require accuracy, then yes, have all the fun in learning.

Recently, I've been watching a couple of videos about unschooling, and I enjoy this idea.

- @CHRISLANGTON
Dear all,
A very nice thread. My wife and I live in My Tho. We are in HCMC this week, surgery recoup for a bit. Going home Monday. These are all great ideas. Making it stick w  students and parents as described and questioned above is tricky.
My work is w one on one for now. I understand much of the issues, however a solution, as VN. government is seeking and projecting would be great in partnership with everyone.
Believe it is imperative to dovetail with public schools, public school teachers here in VN. We've only been back to VN for a few months. So, need to firm up a concrete plan going forward.
I am not a fan of  commercial language schools.
Just last evening we were discussing the strata of children seeming out of the loop, parents unable to afford even higher education (beyond primary) let alone private language schools.
My target of students is this strata, where participation is needed. ...as said working with local educators, (and the Peoples Committee) seems a good place to start. Read the Vision (Educational Section) for Vietnam in DTI.
Most Sincerely,
MAc

Just last evening we were discussing the strata of children seeming out of the loop, parents unable to afford even higher education (beyond primary) let alone private language schools.

- @Mac68

You have touched on one of Vietnam's dirty secrets; that public education is not free beyond grade 5.   As a result many children, especially in rural areas drop out after that level.   There is an overall  tuition fee for secondary schools plus numerous other fees for books and the like.   One of those is an added fee for having foreign teachers posted to the classroom one day a week.   As I have detailed previously, a friend of mine had two Vietnamese step-daughters in a middle school in HCM so he knew what those fees were.   We did the calculations and the fees he was paying for them were several multiples of what he was paid to teach other classes at the same school.   When you multiply things out at 50 per class, someone was making a good bit of change on the side.

This brings up the issue of class size that Ms Ho alluded to earlier.   I think a class size of 12 will be fine for conversation based learning in an after-school setting.   Too small and it is difficult to form up varied groupings for conversation exercises.   Also with 12 students, if there are one or two behind the rest, you can work the pairings so that the others help them along.  Twelve will be fine.  Of course the 50 that you see in public schools is way too many for learning conversation, even though I like to think that it does help to have us there compared to only Vietnamese instructors, however ardent they may be.  US educators are becoming skeptical that smaller class size is the panacea people once thought it was, but they are talking 30 versus 20, nothing approaching the standard class size in Viet public schools.

MY opinion, only my opinion:

I sometimes, more often than not, if Einstein's:  'If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.'
Seems very complicated then? As it is;  depths of poverty, from one country to the next, are too.

I sent a message to Ms. HO also about VN's intentions to transform education. (DTI News, Education Section). MY question, how I can best work as an educator here in VN, with VN goals in mind?

MAc
@MAc

Wish you well & a speedy recovery.

Andy
I sent a message to Ms. HO also about VN's intentions to transform education. (DTI News, Education Section). MY question, how I can best work as an educator here in VN, with VN goals in mind?
@Mac68
Without attempting to speak for my attorney and friend, I'd guess "complacently, with appropriate humility" might be the suggestion of the government.

I understand why you refer to yourself as an educator and not simply a teacher, but the government is not looking for foreigners to help them expand their philosophy of education.

English teachers in Vietnam are essentially being hired as mechanics who can fine tune the level of English language proficiency in students.

Even in the area of digital advancements in education, the government of Vietnam is only seeking technical assistance and consultation into how best to deliver education to the masses, preparing them for successful interaction with the global marketplace.

Your question has essentially been answered already in this quote from the OP:
What you teach will be different from what local teachers teach, keep in mind to always have a compromising attitude. Never try to argue that what you teach is the ultimate truth, even if it is.
- What you teach may not help your students at their school at all. The students still need to follow the state school's program in order to pass their exams and get into a university. You simply help them to be able to communicate in English. Even if the state school's program sucks, you are not there to point that out @VanKhanh Ho
...VN's intentions to transform education. (DTI News, Education Section) @Mac

Putting previous comments in context (links):

In that article is a tacit agreement with THIGV's point, showing that the education access goals for the next decade still do not approach 100%

I think it's worth noting that the national consultation is primarily focused on the development of digital access to education, not an overhaul of philosophical priorities.

It also appears that this was a requirement for participation in the upcoming GLOBAL consultation.

Again, Vietnam is not asking the USAID to overhaul the government's philosophy of education, but only to give assistance in the upgrading of digital systems and instruction in their use.
"You simply help them to be able to communicate in English. Even if the state school's program sucks, you are not there to point that out."   I missed this pearl of wisdom from the OP first time through.  It is excellent advice.   

Ironically the people who most often pointed out the shortcomings of the local system to me were some of the younger local teachers in my Middle School.   They made me optimistic.  A few of the older teachers were rather rigid though.  One pointed out to me that I had misspelled the number 40 as "fourty" rather than "forty."   I did find a dictionary entry that said that fourty was an archaic spelling, which I said meant I could use it since I too am archaic.  She failed to laugh.
I don't think I could handle it.  I was an English major in college.  I helped my daughter with a couple of questions on a take home test that she couldn't figure out.  The only questions she got wrong were the ones I helped her with and the answers that I had to choose from were totally, completely wrong.  I wanted to go to the school and confront the teacher but my wife convinced me the equivalent of winning the battle but losing the war.
Oh  yoi, igniting enlightenment.

MAc
@SteinNebraska
Where did this happen? Vietnam?
@SteinNebraska
Where did this happen? Vietnam?
- @pogiwayne

It was in HCMC at the public school.  Here is the thread about it from a couple of years back.  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=895975