Sudden action from Ministry of Education

Why are many so called 'Universities' which have been giving out Certificates of English Language like candy, abruptly being told by the Ministry of Education to completely "stop issuing any more Certificates!". Here, it seems anyone can just call themselves a "University"..
Highly strange..

Swee Loke wrote:

Why are many so called 'Universities' which have been giving out Certificates of English Language like candy, abruptly being told by the Ministry of Education to completely "stop issuing any more Certificates!". Here, it seems anyone can just call themselves a "University"..
Highly strange..

Probably the same reason why if you have a degree issued here in VN most overseas company's won't accept it.

I'm reverse a degree earned overseas ahs to be legalized by the Vietnamese embassy in the issuing country to be valid.

Document fraud is common, hand over some cash and you can be qualified to teach, drive car, or even have vaccine without actually being vaccinated.

Take a look at any official document issued here and think how easy it would be to reproduce at home.  VN as a rule promotes high standards with impressive buildings and websites, sadly a lot of the time it's just for show.  Having said that in the last 18 months this has been getting better

Jlgarbutt wrote:
Swee Loke wrote:

Highly strange..

Probably the same reason why if you have a degree issued here in VN most overseas company's won't accept it.

I'm reverse a degree earned overseas ahs to be legalized by the Vietnamese embassy in the issuing country to be valid.

Document fraud is common, hand over some cash and you can be qualified to teach, drive car, or even have vaccine without actually being vaccinated.

Take a look at any official document issued here and think how easy it would be to reproduce at home.  VN as a rule promotes high standards with impressive buildings and websites, sadly a lot of the time it's just for show.  Having said that in the last 18 months this has been getting better

Also, according to a friend in Hanoi, the government is really taking the quality of English language education seriously.

They are fully aware that the results have been inferior, and they are looking for ways to improve that, in spite of the rampant corruption and inferior skills of many teachers.

Ha! Then it seems that Ministry of E finally woken up from their hibernation and trying to do 'damage control'  bit late isn't it? Well, better start do something, better than not doing anything!

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Swee Loke wrote:

Highly strange..

Also, according to a friend in Hanoi, the government is really taking the quality of English language education seriously.

They are fully aware that the results have been inferior, and they are looking for ways to improve that, in spite of the rampant corruption and inferior skills of many teachers.

They might want to check the local managed language centers. I had a brief stint working for own that claimed to be affiliated with a famous university in the UK.. guess what, I checked and they had never heard of them.

Added to which, lesson materials I was provided with is irrelevant and boring as hell - family and friends serues that likes to teach kids about the Mayans..blah blah blah.

If you're a social media follower, how many ads fonyou see in a regular basis claiming to teach foreigners to speak English, lesson given by some eastern European with a poor grasp on the language they are teaching

It's time to pay up. The Taxman is coming for you. VN is just following what Beijing has been doing a couple of months ago.

Yes! It's past time the government shut these places down. A few years back I worked for a university out in Long Ann until the daily back and forth grind from HCM became to much. I kind of knew there was something going on with upper management and soon after I left, several parents filed a lawsuit and the government shut them down. I found out later that they were withholding money for taxes from my checks, but were not actually paying the taxes. Last I heard they were open again and still running - go figure. I guess some 'Coffee Money" exchanged hands somewhere along the line.

Education here from the ground up is a joke. The MOE should be ashamed of themselves. From the elementary level to the university level and all parts in between are hopeless. One could write a book on it. Having children in the public school system here is heart breaking.
This summer the MOE did develop a plan to a plan to move away from rote education and involve the children. These old school teachers will never buy into it. How do you fix it I have no clue. But paying educators $500 a month will not get it done. There is a reason university degrees degrees become worthless at the border as well. Because that is what they are worth.

Not related to english teaching but rather to VN education system. The following happened last night:

Me an my fiancé were watching Blood Diamond on Netflix.

1) Is Africa a nice country?
2) Where is Africa?
3) How can the white guy be born in Africa, he's not black?
4) Why are the children  (child soldiers) so brutal?

I would never dare to call her dumb or stupid, she's doing incredibly well in her field and has absolutely zero problem picking up new skills. But OH MY GOD this ignorance. It's like she never even heard of other cultures or countries throughout her education.

devbob wrote:

Not related to english teaching but rather to VN education system. The following happened last night:

Me an my fiancé were watching Blood Diamond on Netflix.

1) Is Africa a nice country?
2) Where is Africa?
3) How can the white guy be born in Africa, he's not black?
4) Why are the children  (child soldiers) so brutal?

I would never dare to call her dumb or stupid, she's doing incredibly well in her field and has absolutely zero problem picking up new skills. But OH MY GOD this ignorance. It's like she never even heard of other cultures or countries throughout her education.

Grab some popcorn your in for a heap of stories about VN girls.