Good morning,

My name is Robin, I live in South Carolina in the U.S.  This is my first post in any of the blogs.  I am 64 and I want to really move to Mexico but my husband and grown son are not on board.  I am living in pure agony emotionally here.  I do not know what to do, I have to do something for my life has me depressed and full of anxiety.  I need to make a change to live the rest of my journey in my life.  I so much want to see different things and live in an environment with like minded and new people to meet and grow, learn new cultures and experiences that I so much desire.
I do not know exactly what to do but I do want to join an expat blog in Mexico to learn and discover how life is there and most importantly if you are “ happy” there.  I hope you will welcome me to your group and show me what the life you live is about and if your life is fulfilled there.
I am looking forward to hopefully meet and get to know as many as I can of you.
Thank you for reading my post and I am looking forward to be a part of learning with you.
Have a nice & blessed day!

Well  mamm,
Unless all of your family is onboard, it will be difficult for you to do anything unless you  are willing to go it alone ! Also you may find Mexico a bit more difficult than other countries such as Ecuador. My wife & I have lived here 7+ years and it has been relatively easy as we both can speak some Spanish. My wife's is much better than mine . Cost of living is quite low , weather , depending on where you live is quite good & there are over 10,000 expats living here. If you would like more info on Ecuador, I may be able to help you  !

Brgds,

Edouard

Well I was lucky because my wife was on board. 

With that said why do they not want to move to mexico?  That needs to be known by yourself and us on this board so we can ease what feats they have.

Me and my wife had the usual fears of crime, water food and not knowing the language.  But we came here and did research online. Found out the part of mexico we live in now has a lower crime rate than the USA! The state of Jalisco has seen a 51% decrease in crime in the last 5 years and those stats just came out.... prior this state was still safer than any US city. 

Well we hadn't been drinking tap water from the US for years because of the smell and taste.  And the while unsafe food thing is just BS.  Every weekend we buy a BBQ chicken from a street vendor and never had issues just the best BBQ chicken we ever ate.

The life you can afford down here is so much better. 

Also make sure you show them that there is more than jungle and beaches.  We love mountains and found out about the central mesa in mexico.  5 to 6k feet up with cooler weather. We live in lake chapala area and it's 75 to 85 all year round! Don't need a ac or central heat!

And there is so much to see down here.  If you convince him to talk I would love to help.  We just moved down Oct 1st.  We know very little spanish but here in lake chapala it has so many expats that either they speak some English or with Google translate you can get anything done.

But you need to find out what his fears are.  And good time to come down.... no shortages of anything down here unlike the US.  Friend let me know he is now paying $6 pounds for ground beef....... we pay $5 a pound for filet! And fresh fruit and veggies galore.  No paper shortage... my friend didn't believe me so I keep sending pics of all the full shelves of TP and paper towels.

IM me if you get him ready to talk I will send you the info so we can talk.  We just did the whole process for full time resident so it's all fresh in our heads.

Bienvenidos a Mexico,  I am a 61 year old (young) lady.  My husband and two sons also live here.We are from the US.  We have lived in Puerto Vallarta for 9 years and very happily. It is a very tourist friendly place to live.  Crime is low.  You do not need a car as the bus system is very puntual.  The food is delicious and the people are extremely friendly.  There is also a sizably expat community including several  ladies and men.  It is hot snd humid in summer.  Cost of living vary greatly depending what your needs are.  I would suggest coming down for a few months and get an Airbnb.  We live in the Marina Vallarta area.  You can definitely escape and feel freer here!🌺

Changing residency is difficult and without the family being in agreement, it is impossible. So first, work it out - get a divorce or get them on board. Once that is done, the future will be a lot clearer. Harsh action but true. Also, don't believe that these foreign lands are problem free like most internet blogs present - there are tons of issues in Mexico and other countries. Do not trust the relocation tours etc. as they are out to make money from you. Hope you do well but take the first step before wasting time on looking at other countries. Have a nice day.

yep @mrpres. The USA seems to be one of those countries that has tons of issues which is precisely why so many foreigners are fleeing it. If the lady is independent financially wise, then nothing is impossible Sir.
I sent you a personal message Robin.

Let's see... USA crime rate is now almost 2x what the safe parts of mexico have.....ohh and there are no shortages of items like America has.  I just got to mexico on Oct 1st and I know just how overpriced and dangerous America is now.  A man's dog savaged my wife and he got a $40 fine.... another man threatened to rape my wife and kill both of us in our house.... we got it on tape... police went to talk to him and he had to be physically restrained.... but he didn't get take to jail or charged with a crime.

A democrate (no I'm not a republican but a libertarian) in NY state has introduced a bill where a victim has to visit his attacker the week after the attack so they can explain why they had to attack them.... and yes rape victims too! 

America is so much more unsafe then mexico non cartel owned areas its not funny.  And to those who say what do you know... I worked for the dept of justice as a senior officer in my youth... so I know the lawlessness and evil usa is supporting.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/houston-teen … alets-bail

Yeah us is sooooo safe.....

Welcome to expat-Mexico rpnettles,

It sounds like you want to be the adventurer you perhaps secretly always wished to be.

Depending on your financial situation that dream could be tough or just difficult. I would say you need to think about how you might do what you want to do with what you have. You would have to think about how much you want it and what you would be willing to do to get it.
From what you say your family won't help or be part of the plan.

So can it be done as a single individual, yes I've done it mostly by myself for over about 14 years? First visiting with a family member who I was not dependent on. Then after he died living in what I call my base camp and traveling for the last 11 years.
It is calmer and more friendly here. safe? well if you do your homework and avoid the problem areas, learn the language and perhaps consider adding other languages, yes.

Yep.l I agree, watching news nightly is ridiculous in the US....I'm 57 and won't be staying here. People talk about all the other countries being so unsafe....open your eyes the US is going down fast. The poor are getting poor rich getting richer....that equals more crime!

Ok, Mr pres,

It doesn't seem you know very much about Mexico. Have you visited often.? I also don't know how you would think making a change would be impossible when she lives in the U.S. and you live in Canada. Are you a legal expert in both Canadian and U.S. law?

It might be a good idea in her case to get a divorce but that would be something she has to decide for herself after she sits down and looks at the finances and thinks about what her options are.

Try a Vacation to Ajijic Mexico.  the Expats there are VERY friendly and there are several 'single' mature women there going it alone.
Also, when you travel t o Mexico, you can stay for 6 months! on that one travel visa.... so, say sionara to your men-folk, and go on an adventure!
Try Friendly Expats Ajijic on Facebook.   There are even nice people looking for home-sitters.
Your guys might just be believing the propaganda about Mexico.   Look on you tube for retiring in  Mexico to get the low down on different places there.

I am 80 years in age, but still an adventurer at heart.  I had planned that upon retirement in 1999 I would become an expat. Well, I took a few detours which I in no way regret, but after all these years and having just come out of the COVID fog, I decided it was time to live the life I had originally planned. 

I am a single woman who lives on a fixed income so I am thrilled that now I can have an even  higher standard of living for less money.  When I compared my U.S. expenses to my expected expenses in MX and traveling to countries in Central America, I anticipate a 50% savings per month.  That allows me to afford a housekeeper and travel more extensively.   

I am so looking forward to living "higher on the hog" with less stress and becoming healthier. 

My plan is to be "home"-based in Ensenada.  I will travel back and forth to other places for months at a time, but will return to Ensenada to catch up on my mail, cross the border into San Diego to visit family and just veg out.

Hello!
I'm in the same boat as you are. 
Retired, 74 years young with lots of life left, living on limited income that just doesn't make it here in the States and looking for a place that I can make my pennies stretch. A total hip replacement, 2 and a half years ago, has left me with not many choices of additional income like it did prior to surgery and the warmer climate down South won't bring the pain that it does with the cold.
I'm actually looking at Puerto Vallarta and surrounding  areas because I am an avid gardener and Certified Aquaponics Designer so wanted to get a small farm going there to provide freshwater fish and veggies to the local restaurants. (Big dreams!)
Please share your findings on Ensenada with us.
Diane

Now hold on Mr. Eduord, : ) my husband and I moved to the hotel zone in Cancun, and are finding it quite easy to adapt. Although to be honest I was bored after two weeks because being only 56, I have to work, have a need to work I should say. Some people are ready to relax and enjoy the beach in the pool, like my husband :)
Do with my husband and I did. We went to visit a particular area we liked, which was Cancun. And after our fourth visit, decided to make it our new life at least for a year. We discussed being flexible, and willing to move anywhere else if we wanted to at the end of that time. Even if it meant coming back to the states, or to Ecuador, Or to Belize, which I've heard is nice as well. Are there grandchildren involved, sometimes we can miss them very much though, that we wonder if we can be apart for too long. Other than that if your son is grown and it sounds like he is, either leave him at home with his dad, and start a new adventure for yourself! Oh and they should mention, that a lady we met there in Cancun, had moved there by herself 11 years ago, not knowing anyone, or any Spanish! That was a very brave move on her part!!! Keep the faith, and be careful not to be lured somewhere by kind strangers.

v/r,

Letty

Dear sir, I am so sorry for what your wife and yourself went through…😢 I hope you are having a safe and happy life Indian destination. 🙏🏻

v/r,

Letty

I wrote my first post a little while back and got some nice feedbacks from a few of you.  I wish I had the time to talk to each of you individually but I am unable to do so at this time. 
I so much enjoyed each of your posts and hope you stick with me……husband and son are still a no to moving anywhere.  But my husband agreed to go to San Antonio for our vacation…..getting him a little closer.
I want to hear more from each of you and I am going to try to have personal conversations as I can after our vacation that will be the first part of the month.
I hope all is going well for each of you.  I wish you all happiness and many blessings. 
I hope to hear from each of you more.
Have a wonderful day,
Robin Nettles from SC
Wanna be expat, lol😊

Welcome to ex-pat  rpnettles,

Your post is almost exactly like another post a few months ago. I will try to remember what I said to the previous poster.
You know what your husband and son are like. Like the previous poster, you are probably on your own, None of us know anything about your life circumstances. you will have to check and see if your financial status and background will pass the requirements of Mexico. Once you qualify to come to Mexico we can be of more help.  So the first step is yours. Yes, it's a lot of work, we have all done it so obviously it is doable. Sorry that your family isn't going to help.