Have lost my way

I have lived in Mexico since Jun 2007 (the details are a love story and a book of horror, for a later time). Colima, Lake Chapala, San Jose de Gracia, Villahermosa, and back in San Jose de Gracia again.
I have a hunger for some good expat company, a group of people who do things but not like Ajijic or that area so I am lost I am 64 have a Mexican mate of 4 years and may have something to offer the community.

So to start where to stay for 2 or or 3 days, also the rental areas to maybe stay. we are free to come anytime Tim Bruton.

AS I explore this area and board, I find that this town and the Expat community may be far more expensive, than the Lake Chapala area. I am not rich I do just fine, I am a retired US Army soldier who has made it past 4 wars and still going but just looking for some social contacts with english speakers in a nice area, not a new house or car, don't need either a nice 2 bedroom house reasonable rent in a nice area where my Mexican wife can do her business as a wonderfull seamtress. I can cook my Gringo hamburgers and Filets and a cold beer. Just so you know in 2007 I blew off close to 1 million dollars in Ajijic, lost my wife and saved my now 22 year old son who is finishing college in the US. Your feedback is welcome maybe my lady and I are not worthy of this area of Mexico maybe we are looking at the wrong place. But so far there will be no response so thank you for your time Tim

Hi prorader!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Thank you, we are just so lost we don't know what to do. We wish to consider a trip and a possible rental, but there must be nice areas outside of central for us poor people, that with nice friends and a small place to call home

I have friends who are moving to Merida. It is a big expat place to go. I wouldn't go there because I hate humid heat, and it is hot and humid there most of the time.

There is a HUGE expat community in Puerto Vallarta. The city practically has more gringos/canadians than Mexicans from November to Easter. Cost of living is relatively cheap, you can live in the mountains or ocean front for 4000 pesos and accordingly as you move inland to the "mexican" areas. The whole town is clean and safe, and there are lots of rentals short term or long. You're not far from GDL if you really like it there, this might be an option!