Travelling outside EU while nationality application

Hi all,

When reading some of the discussions of the Belgian nationality topic, there are a few cases where the residence permit has been cancelled automatically upon acceptance of nationality(cancelled before applying new ID).
What can happen when someone travels outside the EU during this period and in return, their RP got cancelled due to the nationality acceptance.
Has anyone had a similar situation in the past?

Thanks
Athul

Hello,

basically you can't cross a border without legal documents (passport + resident permit/visa/laisser-passer).
You should wait to receive your ID card before doing any trip as you might not be allowed to come back in Belgium (especially if you take the plane/boat, you will not be able to go on board)

Hello Alex,

Thanks a lot for giving an insight.
It was not clear whether there is a restriction for travelling. Since the process can take 2 to 6+ months, I will have to postpone the travel for this period.

Thanks again

Athul

Hallo,

Indeed once you receive the approval on your application you existing eID certificate will be revoked. I can say it is  not an issue to travel since i visited India during my application process but i was already back before my decision. as the document is still be vaild but i wouldn't suggest to travel non eu countries.

Hello,

No official document covers this point about travelling and as you mentioned we are free to travel, but there can be complications if I am outside the EU and the ID is revoked. There is no emergency for me to travel now, except the low Covid numbers.

Thanks for responding
Regards,
Athul

In my personal experience, my nationality was approved and I got a letter from Antwerp city hall to make a request for a Belgian ID card. They also mentioned that when I make this request, they will take my current ID as it becomes invalid at the time of request, and I am not able to travel until I receive my new Belgian ID, which I suppose should take couple of weeks. They also suggest to complete your travel plans (if any) and then apply for Belgian ID.

I see that my current card (D card) is still active and I can login into mondossier.be. I have my appointment to make request for new ID next week.

Hope this helps!

This info is very different from others experiences.
But this is a valid point for me since I am also living in Antwerpen.

So the travel is not possible only during this short period (a couple of weeks). Totally make sense.
Thanks for the details.

athulp wrote:

Hello,

No official document covers this point about travelling and as you mentioned we are free to travel, but there can be complications if I am outside the EU and the ID is revoked. There is no emergency for me to travel now, except the low Covid numbers.

Thanks for responding
Regards,
Athul

Hey Athul, like stated in the previous response, your RP wont be revoked until you make a request to change your card to Begian EID. So dont worry.

Thanks for confirming

Aneesh wrote:
athulp wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for responding
Regards,
Athul

Hey Athul, like stated in the previous response, your RP wont be revoked until you make a request to change your card to Begian EID. So dont worry.

Hi Just wanted to point my experience that my card was revoked the day i got the nationality certificate. Not when i applied for the new card. I can not relate my case with this case as mine was F-card. But i can say that there is no standard process for revoking the certificates. Best to check with city hall.

In my personal experience, my nationality was approved and I got a letter from Antwerp city hall to make a request for a Belgian ID card. They also mentioned that when I make this request, they will take my current ID as it becomes invalid at the time of request, and I am not able to travel until I receive my new Belgian ID, which I suppose should take couple of weeks. They also suggest to complete your travel plans (if any) and then apply for Belgian ID.

I see that my current card (D card) is still active and I can login into [link under review]. I have my appointment to make request for new ID next week.

Hope this helps!
-@ashutoshd9

Hi , how long it takes for police visit ? and total timeline since you swear an oath