All about taxes for expats in Puerto Rico

Hi everyone,

Taxation is an important subject, especially when you are an expatriate in Puerto Rico. We would like to know what you think about the tax system in your host country. This could be helpful to other people preparing for expatriation in Puerto Rico.

How to do your tax return in Puerto Rico? Are there different steps beforehand and if so, what are they?

Is it easy or did you have to get help to complete it?

Are there any important elements that should be taken into account when doing your tax return in Puerto Rico?

If you are self-employed, do you need an accountant to do your tax return?

Is there a non-double taxation agreement with your home country? In any case, do you have to pay taxes there as well?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

I'd like to follow this specifically with taxes for PR to US (and visa versa). I am also interested if anyone has found a CPA they would recommend to handle this and if you are using any of the tax incentives offered by PR.

Once you learn or know the basics i recommend PRsoft for their tax software.  It is designed for PR taxes and they have it in English.

I used BDO for my first few years, because I didn't find comprehensive sources in English. I always self prepared in the states.

The previous returns from BDO provided a roadmap for how to fill out the return using PRsoft software.

This cpa handled
My returns

Moderated by Cheryl 2 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, do not post contact details on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I think there is a lot of misunderstandings especially about Act 20/22/60. As with most trades in PR, I contacted about a dozen CPA firms from May through last week but, only 3 set up a introductory call.

I have an LLC with less than $3m in revenue. Act 60 states this is a Small and Medium Enterprise (SME). It is a consulting business so I qualify under export services. This was the old Act 22, now chapter 3 in Act 60.

I have read the Act and it offers two two incentives for SME's not available to larger entities. 1) a tax rate of 2% for the first 5 years, then 4% for the next 10 and it clearly states the company is required to employee 1 Puerto Rican citizen “within 18 months” of hitting $3mm in revenue.

I had previously been told my tax rate was 4% and I had to employ 1 person regardless of revenue, that person could be me.

I asked these CPA's 2 basic questions. 1) what is my tax rate under chapter 3; 2% or 4%, and did I have to have 1 employee?

There are only 4 combinations to these questions. I got three different answers. I then asked two lawyers and got a 4th answer and a second for one scenario. When I pressed them as to why, most told me to go elsewhere and none would give me an opinion in writing, though I offered to pay.

What this shows is all these people who tell you they know… May not.

I finally spoke to someone I believe to be a true expert. He said my tax rate was exactly as it states in chapter 3, SME, 2% for 5 years. He then said Act 60 clearly states that I do NOT need an employee but, and it is a big but.

The US Treasury and IRS, who are the entities that authorized the LLC and gave the EIN would consider zero employees simply as a tool to avoid taxes like FICA, FUNTA… And they would come after me, not the hacienda. The fines were 100% of tax, plus tax and interest. He suggested googling “IRS reasonable salary.” I did. I now pay myself. So to those looking at Act 60 make sure you have a competent advisory firm, do your research and ask questions.