What about Irapuato?

Anyone here know this city that can offer info about it?

Cost of rentals?, Airport travel to USA cities, shopping? Friendliness towards gringos or lack thereof? Cartel crime involving civilians?

Welcome to expatMexico myhomecountry

You really know how to pick them. In  2018 it had the title of the sixth most deadly city . The whole Michoacan area is highly unstable. I wouldn't want to go there on my way to somewhere else. fortunately, I don't plan to visit anywhere in that area.

If I were you I would look somewhere else. cities in and around the Guanajuato / Michoacan area are just not safe. Oil and drugs drive violence. Someone will probably post a protest saying what a lovely place Morelia is. You have to not be looking closely if you don't see what's happened to that lovely city. I watched it decline over two visits and sadly crossed it off my travel list.

Thanks for your reply. I am not that worried about dangers. But I am worried about some of the border towns such as juarez and near to Monterrey. Actually Chiapas is supposed to be fairly safe according to maps of violence. I wonder why you think Oaxaca is unsafe-I have not read or heard that from others.
What specific reports have you read or heard about that confirm that?

HOWEVER, my plans for MX may have changed big time after reading the number of places that have gone ape-Sh*t over the CV SCAM with all kinds of restrictions and curfews. That is not MX that I remember and I won't settle in a place run by idiot officials that are imposing nazi like mandates on people. Not worth the move, imo.

If I cannot find a stable non covid crazy place in MX I am and will look for another Country. I was ready to look at Irapuato, Tepic and a few other places but, after reading local officials freedom take aways, no more. MX has definitely lost is luster.

My husband and I moved to the hotel zone in Cancun because we always feel safe there. If things happen around us we are unaware. We have not taken the vaccine and don't intend to, I have better chances of surviving the cartel. Lol. Do your research…The vaccine does not prevent Covid and you can still get it and you can still give it so I don't want it. I'll say it again. Do your research. : ) They do make you take a Covid test before going back to the states. Best of luck on finding your next adventure destination!

LettyClark0401 wrote:

My husband and I moved to the hotel zone in Cancun because we always feel safe there. If things happen around us we are unaware. We have not taken the vaccine and don't intend to, I have better chances of surviving the cartel. Lol. Do your research…The vaccine does not prevent Covid and you can still get it and you can still give it so I don't want it. I'll say it again. Do your research. : ) They do make you take a Covid test before going back to the states. Best of luck on finding your next adventure destination!

Not if you return via a land crossing.

No covid testing when returning to the United States at the Tijuana/San Ysidro border.

Oh no, we don't drive, we fly as we are in Cancun! We had questioned how safe it would be to possibly drive a vehicle from San Antonio to Cancun and were told not to do it. Too many stops, unsafe, etc.

We crossed the into mexico on Oct 1st at Lerado.  Drove all the way to lake chapala with not one weird feeling.... I am a x LE officer with a great gut feeling for trouble and it never once went off.  Sure we went thru 6 check points on the way down but once they saw we were full time residents they all went from suspicious to all smiles and great to work with.  I cannot say it enough getting your full residency is well worth the time. Everyone treats you better.

So where are all these restrictions you talk about ? They want people to wear masks in some places and ask that you tolerate the alcohol gel which I wash off quickly. Other than also scanning your temperature. That it.  No one asks for a virus passport. All in all pretty tame next to the majority of other countries.

People who state the vaccine is a hoax are pulling a BIG hoax on themselves and others. YES, you can still catch Covid19 and still give it to others. BUT your case will most likely be mild, most likely not requiring hospitalization, and the chance of spreading it is WAY LOWER!! Need proof? look at the Covid cases by states in the USA. States with low vaccine cases have a high number of cases, hospitalizations, and a higher number of DEATHS!!! If you are masochistic or have a death wish do not get the vaccine.

myhomemycountry wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I am not that worried about dangers. But I am worried about some of the border towns such as juarez and near to Monterrey. Actually Chiapas is supposed to be fairly safe according to maps of violence. I wonder why you think Oaxaca is unsafe-I have not read or heard that from others.
What specific reports have you read or heard about that confirm that?

HOWEVER, my plans for MX may have changed big time after reading the number of places that have gone ape-Sh*t over the CV SCAM with all kinds of restrictions and curfews. That is not MX that I remember and I won't settle in a place run by idiot officials that are imposing nazi like mandates on people. Not worth the move, imo.

If I cannot find a stable non covid crazy place in MX I am and will look for another Country. I was ready to look at Irapuato, Tepic and a few other places but, after reading local officials freedom take aways, no more. MX has definitely lost is luster.

Buenos Dias I have lived in Huatulco for one year. I live in town center 1 mile from beach. Crucecita. I love this place for the beautiful calm bays.  There are no big box stores and may need to go to Puerto Esconditi for more involved medical treatment. Never having been sick here I don't know. Salina Cruz is a couple hours away and only place I know with in resomable distance with big box stores.  Huatulco is safe city. I am single senior woman and have no fear. Direct flights from dallas fortworth are suppose to start up again on American airlines. When i flew i had to go through Mexico city.  I had a 2 bedroom condo with a swimming pool for 9000 pesos. I now have a 2 bedroom apartment for even less with a pool. I got lucky in that i have a friendship with my Mexican landlord. I do have a friend who recently found a 2 bedroom place in the same complex for 13000 pesos.  I don't find CV to be an issue here. Some of the expats can be more concerned but there are no restrictions or need to show papers. Probably out of the 30 or so expats I know, I know for sure 10 did not get shot. I try not to engage in that conversation as i don't want segregation. Good luck with your search for home.

myhomemycountry wrote:

Anyone here know this city that can offer info about it?

Cost of rentals?, Airport travel to USA cities, shopping? Friendliness towards gringos or lack thereof? Cartel crime involving civilians?

Not replying to you so much but to others who have discussed safety in this thread.

The US State Department has ratings for every state in Mexico, and even in those State ratings, you can find specific information about that area, to find if a major city or specific area is more likely or less likely to be unsafe.

Oaxaca is a good example.

It's only rated a 2 on the state department scale of number 1 being pretty safe and number 4 being totally rated "do not travel”.

But if you take a look at the specific listing for that state you will find that there are areas in which the state department forbids US federal employees to travel, while other areas such as Huatulco don't have any special reports about crime or restrictions of US government employees' travel.

Note that the only total states in Mexico rated at the best safety level of 1 are Yucatan and Campeche.

The rest of the states listed on this image are all rated at number 2, which many experts consider an acceptable risk, since you could probably say the same thing about every major city in the United States...

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2021/11/screenshot_20211115-085200_chrome.jpg

state..gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory

I have already posted on this topic but I think I need to add that I do not get my information from the state departments of other countries,

I go right to the best source, those who are Mexican citizens. What do they know and what do they say? They said do not go there it is very violent and unsafe. and has been for at least 3 years. There are some issues in some of the places Ocean mentioned but those are incidents not ongoing situations.
I will be traveling southwest soon and I will avoid Tulum for now due to a very serious incident, otherwise, I should be able to travel in the southern part of the country safely..

travellight wrote:

I have already posted on this topic but I think I need to add that I do not get my information from the state departments of other countries,

I go right to the best source, those who are Mexican citizens. What do they know and what do they say? They said do not go there it is very violent and unsafe...

"There" being Irapuato? (OP heading)

Just clarifying

:)

yes, it's a topic with a life of its own.   :D