Cheap international phone calls

Just wondering how you guys make cheap phone calls to friends and family overseas and if your're happy with the service quality.  Anyone use phone to phone via a local Mauritian access number for super cheap rates? Anyone use Vonage?
Thanks
Andrew

Hello Andrew!

I hope that other members will give some ideas to you soon.

Harmonie.

Skype is magic...otherwise Sezam from Mauritius Telecom is good

thanks fot that but close to Rs7 per min (Sezam) to the UK doesn't strike me as good value! So there aren't any internet dial up numbers you can use for cheap calls out of Mauritius where you pay by the minute and not via a monthly or prepaid charge?
Andrew

Hi
I really do not know but maybe someone else does as basically I use Skype....  is that not an option for you? ...the cost per minute to a land line in the UK is just over 1p per minute.

just over 1 p per min is v cheap. Calling Mauritius from the UK via Skype costs 13p per min. Guess I'll be using Skype then. Thanks.

If you have a prepayment setup for Skype  by using a credit card then calls per minute are 1.4p with a less than a penny connection fee....naturally if calling Skype to Skype then all calls are FREE!!! The cheap rate is one of (many) benefits from living here!!!

great news. thanks.
Andrew

try google plus and u tell me

cheers
islander.

Google+ is in field trial and seems to have nothing to do with making phone calls but rather social networking.

Hello Andrew!

Try VoipStunt. Is's free to UK.

Adri

Hi Adri,
That looks very interesting, but I can't see Mauitius coming up on their website as one of their local access number countries, which means you wouldn't be able to use it (unless you already use it and have a local access number?).
Thanks
Andrew

Hi Andrew, i used to use skype before, but when i compared the rates and the need to login, get the headset ready, recharge account etc. i figured out it wasn't that big deal of a difference to use Orange (mauritius telecom). You dial 020 - country code without the zeros - and the rest and sound quality is good, price is ok.

Hi there, I use City Call Ltd, prefixing with 070. Rs4.90 per minute to the UK. Works for me.
There's also a company called Yellow who offer similar rates.
Regards, Kaybee

Thanks Kaybee.
Andrew

You could try Rynga or Actionvoip. Very cheap Voip providers.

Thanks
Lafaz

Great, thanks Lafaz

I am using skype at the moment - I thought it does not cost anything if you are both online and either type or chat to each other.
I don't have any credit for calls with skype so it must be free to talk to one of your listed contacts.

In fact I have just had a half hour conversation with a friend who was online the same time as me :)

thanks Rosie, Skype is free is you are both online. I was looking more at phone to phone ie if your're not online.

I would also recommend using Skype as I am still in UK before the big move next year! I speak with the parents in law almost every day through skype and I find nothing else beats it! Even if you are to make a voice call using access numbers or pre-payment cards you still do not get the video factor.  As for Vonage I do not think it has hit mauritius yet.

Something else you may try to consider is Rebtel which is also another access number service (not sure if this works for an account from mauritius to make calls though.  I use it to call anyone from any country, the service is good and ALL the calls are on a clear line)

hope the above helps in some way :-)

thanks. Yes Skype is great for the video. I've not moved out yet, so am just gathering useful info!

Hi
You might want to try s-unno.com
I just signed in to the world unlimited calling plan. The voice quality is better than skype in my opinion.
cheers

(Moderated: no free ads pls)

I have used unlimited calling plan of Vizz Africa Mobile
http://www.scoop.it/t/service-1

We also use Skype.

Skype is good if both persons have a computer.
Otherwise you can buy calling cards.
we use ontario phone cards in canada, but of course in england it's a different company. We talk 30 minutes for 1 GBP.
http://www.ontariophonecards.ca/mauritius.calling-cards

Hi there,

I use Vonage to make calls from Canada to Mauritius and its fairly cheap. 500 minutes outgoing from Mauritius and unlimited incoming to Mauritius. The monthly fee is app $20.00. hope this helps...:)