Help! Jobs In accountancy

Hi,

I would like to ask some advice/help ...I currently live in UK but looking to move in Netherlands...around Amsterdam in 3 months.

I worked in finance for the past 5 years and i finished AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) and currently studying CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants)

I just wonder if CIMA is recognised in Netherlands or if is not then if the companies will at least acknowledge and if i will able to get work in finance and only speaking english.

Kind regards,
Ale

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You're an EU citizen so have the right to live and work anywhere within the EU.  As to your accreditations; there is no legal requirement for accountants to hold a particular qualification, although Chartered Accountants would be expected to have the appropriate degree.  So what does this mean; basically it means it has the value that the person interviewing you for a job places on it, some will know of it, some will not.  Is it going to guarantee you an interview - no.  If you finish your CIMA studies, then it will probably be of some value, but a part finished course means nothing.

There is a Dutch Government organisation called the "Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs", or DUO who will assess any qualifications you have and tell you what value (if any) they have in the Netherlands; this link will take you straight to an English language section of their website.

Finally, to get a decent job anywhere you need 4 things:

Relevant Qualifications
Relevant Experience
Speak the local language
Luck

You can do the maths yourself on your chances.  My opinion is that if you don't speak Dutch, you will struggle to find office work, but perhaps stacking shelves in a warehouse is possible.  Speaking Dutch is very important to live in the Netherlands, especially in any Customer facing role; while many people speak English, some don't and life around you, the notices in the Doctors surgery, the information at the bus stop, all of this is in Dutch.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team