EP application October 2021

Hi all,

Just want to tap into the group to get some thoughts on chances of EP approval - acknowledging that nothing is guaranteed! Really just wanting to calm my mind while I await the outcome :) hopefully it doesn't take too long!

Nationality: NZ (half Malaysian by birth)
industry: finance (with MNC)
Salary: 13.5 pm
No university degree but 17 years experience in industry and 5 years with the company that is transferring me - should I be concerned about not having degree? It's not a big deal in NZ however I see many posts about MOM spending a lot of time verifying educational details.

Applying for LTVP for my common law spouse, and DP for our toddler son.

Spouse will likely transfer with his employer too as they also have SG office, but as this will take time we are going with LTVP option first to ensure we all move across together. Understand he is unable to work on LTVP so we will need to wait for his EP to come through before we're back earning 2 salaries again.

Any thoughts or comments would be most welcome, thanks all.

Without degree the only thing that may be questionable is the salary, they do ask for strong supporting justification.

Also do have your employer to explain and justify your move versus hiring local talent.

Did they apply for an EP for you (which normally requires a degree, see below), or S-Pass (which doesn't)?
Years ago, when they still published this, there was a salary threshold of S$12k/month above which no degree was required for EP. If this option still exists, it is most likely up to at least S$15k now.
Please report back when you have the results!

The LTVP for your partner should not be a problem, if you have a registered partnership (legally similar to a marriage) in your home country.

Thanks Shekhz.

My salary is pretty in line with market for this role, and there's some pretty strong justification for why I should transfer vs hiring local.

Will leave it now in the hands of HR, they should have it covered

Thanks

beppi wrote:

Did they apply for an EP for you (which normally requires a degree, see below), or S-Pass (which doesn't)?
Years ago, when they still published this, there was a salary threshold of S$12k/month above which no degree was required for EP. If this option still exists, it is most likely up to at least S$15k now.

The LTVP for your partner should not be a problem, if you have a registered partnership (legally similar to a marriage) in your home country.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of these thresholds. Does seem a little backward in my mind to demand a higher salary for not having a university degree- but I'm sure there must be good reason for this (?)

They will apply for EP for me. I did check on the tool online and it indicated that I was ok to get EP - although given it's not a guarantee I'm not sure on how accurate this is.

Will revert back on this thread when I have some answers :)

A further question: how accurate is the SAT tool on the website?

Taken from website: “ If the SAT shows that the candidate is eligible, there is around a 90% chance that the candidate will get a pass.”

Is this actually an accurate representation?

SAT is an eligibility check tool, but meat is in your application, credentials, background that relates to the job, company's credentials and financial stability etc. Hope you got what you were looking for?

Shekhz wrote:

SAT is an eligibility check tool, but meat is in your application, credentials, background that relates to the job, company's credentials and financial stability etc. Hope you got what you were looking for?

Yes thanks Shekhz.

I'm pretty certain I should be ok. Time to stop stressing and be patient :)

Hi Friends,

I have my own company in Japan (6 years old company) and register a local company in SG in Oct 2019, I used to travel to SG on a business visa, since Jan 2020 due to corona I am unable to enter SG by business visa from Japan so I applied EP 1st time in July and got rejected by mention the " salary offered does not seem commensurate with the candidate's credentials"( salary I keep 8000 SGD and also taking a salary in Japan company 12000 SGD) and they asked to submit the documents ( bank balance, other documents ...my sg company has a balance of 150K SGD) again they rejected "You have not shown that the candidate should command the salary offered. Further appeals are unlikely to be successful."

After my friend suggested I called to MOM and explained that I have company in Japan and SG, to keep my japan visa active I have to take a salary that's the reason I am taking 8K in SG but not sure the rejection reason and I have rights to take a salary as per my wish then the in-charge person said better to keep this information in company letterhead and appeal again but I forget to mention that if appeal again they rejected as they mention that unlikely to successful

I applied fresh application on 4th October and yesterday call to MOM and explain my situation, after listing my story he said currently your status is pending please wait till you get the outcome then you can try again if its not a positive outcome.

I don't understand why MOM is not approving my EP. I cant travel with a Tourist or business visa and IF I cant get EP how come I can come to SG to expand my business, I am losing business and become helpless. ( now bank balance is 160K SGD and waiting if they ask I can explain my situation by keeping company letterhead)

Is there any best way to approach MOM or what should I do now?

So what you want to do is working part-time for your own Singapore company while still working for your Japan one?
EP is only given for full-time jobs, so that won't work!
Furthermore, working for your own company on EP, while still formally possible, is curtailed more and more in recent years (mostly due to abuse of this loophole). The correct pass for what you have i mind is the EntrePass. If you cannot qualify for that, your EP is also unlikely to be approved.
To find a way forward, you should engage a good (not a cheap!) business incorporation service provider in Singapore. Or decide to hire a local manager for your business here!

Hi Beppi,
So what you want to do is working part-time for your own Singapore company while still working for your Japan one?
>>I want to move to SG and expand business ( I have stable business in Japan and team to manage however as a owner of the company I have to travel often so taking salary in Japan to keep my visa active)

Furthermore, working for your own company on EP, while still formally possible, is curtailed more and more in recent years (mostly due to abuse of this loophole). The correct pass for what you have i mind is the EntrePass. If you cannot qualify for that, your EP is also unlikely to be approved.

I started in Oct 2019 and Jan 2020 I was there in SG after that supposed return to SG in April but since Jan 2020 Corona pandemic started so no choice to come and also lose the opportunity to apply Entrepass ( within 6 months need to apply for incorporation)

To find a way forward, you should engage a good (not a cheap!) business incorporation service provider in Singapore. Or decide to hire a local manager for your business here
I already registered the company with help of a business incorporation service provider in Singapore ( Have a local director for my company )
In my case, if MOM did not issue the EP there is no option to come to SG to expand my business till SG fully returns to normal life.
I was wondering why MOM is rejected by showing salary not matching

The system is not geared towards cases like yours - and that usually means they will not happen.
I think that, rather than fighting the proverbial windmills, you should get a local manager for your business instead of trying to do it yourself.

beppi wrote:

Hi, an update for this forum;

EP applied 03/11/21
EP approved 18/11/21

So just over two weeks.

Seems that in my case not having a degree did not hinder the application.

Thanks