SRRV or Tourist Visa... that is the question!

This is probably an old question but I couldn't find much on it.  SRRV or Tourist Visa... that is the question. Wondering how many out there in Philippine land is still on a tourist visa and how long have you been there?..   From what I have inquired about the SRRV is that there is a lot of paper work to do... you are required to have document after document after document and, they all have to be apostilled- good luck with that.  That in itself is a huge task.  Now there is the money thing..  10k to be exact or 20k depending your age to invest your money and the yearly cost, etc... ok, let me cut to the chase here.  Can I come into the Philippines with a Tourist visa and how long can I stay by renewing it?
I see that the SRRV and renewing the Tourist visa for up to 3 years is about the same cost.

Your story/suggestions and input are important and welcome.
I know that the SRRV has benefits.. but I'm not looking for freebies.. just ease of staying and retiring on a beach with a little umbrella in my cocktail..  LOL.. perhaps Frank can chime in on this.?

Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjqySx0881w

Henk.. the link is not yet available for me to look at.. I will when it's up.. thank you

The advantages of an SRRV were related to travel. These advantages have been eroded with the COVID crisis. I run an international business so I need to travel. The last 18 months have been a bit of a disaster for me, although I have been keeping my head above water through working remotely.

Under normal conditions an SRRV allows me to come into and out of the Philippines as I please with No travel tax and no requirement for a return ticket and no need to seek exit documents. Also I do not need to visit the BI offices regularly. My nearest BI office is 2.5 hours drive each way the next nearest alternative is Cebu which requires a 2 hour ferry journey each way.

My first year in the Philippines was on a tourist visa.. The direct costs of an SRRV are similar to maintaining a tourist visa. However, the additional costs, such as the cost of travel to the BI and lost working hours, travel tax, return tickets, contribute to a large saving.  THe savings are greater the more travel that is required. Before COVID, i would leave and enter the Philippines at least once every 2 weeks.

Travel restrictions are beginning to lift across the world. In a few weeks I will be leaving the Philippines for between 4 to 12 months (I need to get away from here for a while for my own sanity). In my year of absence, the SRRV will still need to be maintained and so will cost me much more than if I were on a tourist visa, which would cost nothing during my period of absence.

The SRRV deposit is the biggest expense but it is no different than locking money into a bank account. It is redeemable (in theory) if/when you leave the scheme.

Thanks Man for the reply.. question >> have you ever tried or have actually recouped your SRRV $$ investment?  either the 10K or 20K depending on your status of course.

I have not tried to recoup my investment and I don't know anybody that has. This is the Philippines, where what ought to be easy is often very difficult. If I were to try to recoup my investment I would revert to a tourist visa and stay in the philippines until I had made sure that the investment was transferred safely offshore.

To the OP there is plenty of info on this site, others also with the pros and cons of the SRRV versus Visitor visa/Balakbayan/13a/SRIV /qouta visas etc, a little searching will accomplish. PBI is the best for current info.

BassMan, Steve, I have watched and to date avoided the SRRV for my own reasons but appreciate why you went that way, I was in the same boat with multiple travel until C-19 put a stop to my plans. Retirement and guess what? Enjoying.

As for recouping your investment from the PRA if you decide to change your visa status, leaving, marriage etc from all I have read over the last 10 years on different expat sites, most withdrawals from the PRA's SRRV  program are from family members recouping the investment after the member passed on. It from memory is a 6 and up to 12 month process. At the end of the day the departed is not worried about the investment.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

You can stay on a Tourist Visa for 36 months, just continue getting extensions. I've been here 10+ years on a Tourist Visa. Being in this part of the world, it gives me a chance to visit other SE Asian countries. I spent 3 days in Hong Kong 1 time, then next time visited Bangkok.  The last time i exited, it was a quickie trip to Singapore......departed PH at 2pm Wednesday, arrived in Singapore's beautiful airport....walked around, did some shopping and eating....then returned at 4AM on Thursday. ....and started my 36 months again. For me, the SRRV is not worth it. Even though the nearest BI office is 2 hours away, it also gives me a chance to do some shopping in the city.

Appreciate what you are saying Gregorio very much as that's what I do but for others who's visitor visa is about to expire in the near future? While yes they can leave the country after jumping through the hoops can they return to start the 36 month process again? From my readings and research the answer is no, I may be wrong and will stand corrected if there is newer data available. Non return? Fortunately this government has removed the "order to leave" policy but one has to apply for a "motion for reconsideration" which is not cheap and has to be applied for every 2 months on top of the regular fees.

My visitor visa will expire in mid March 2023 so I have time for either Covid going away and international travel opening up and if not probably in about a year I will apply for the SRRV. For me leaving the Philippines (this is my home now) and not being able to return would be devastating not only for myself and better half but financially as well. Australia is an expensive country to return to.

While the BOI site states the following fees: P 510.00

https://tinyurl.com/t9nseruh

I asked about this at my local  BOI office 4 months ago and was advised the cost was P 25K by them. I have read conflicting reports from other members on expat sites from P 20K to P30K. Further research to date indicates this fee will need to be paid every 2 months, again others can chime in but for me as I live here I will end up going the SRRV path.

Hey OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Greg... thanks for the input.  Yes I was figuring the same as you had stated.  The SRRV.. financially is iffy.. don't like slapping 10 or 20k US into some institution I don't know.  I do have one concern though-  what if the PH.. IM changes the Tourist visa process?  Then that would force you to obtain an SRRV and that's my major concern.. your thoughts please... Tony

thanks henk...just watched that video... think I'll go with the pleasure A2 tourist visa... easier for sure..

about bigpearl's comment...shit.. .now I'm really confused....  https://tinyurl.com/t9nseruh

Hi Steve,
In my 10+ years, things have been pretty stable, but I certainly understand that this country changes laws and policies all the time. My Visa is good until August 2022....and certainly hope the travel restrictions will be over..........BUT if they are still in effect, not sure what I will do. One option would be renting a condo in Thailand or Malaysia until returning to the Philippines is possible. I might also have to look at the SRRV requirements again.

tpiro wrote:

about bigpearl's comment...shit.. .now I'm really confused....  https://tinyurl.com/t9nseruh

OK, perhaps my bad Tony, I didn't read your OP properly and see/assume now you are not in Country (PH).

So, different kettle of fish. Firstly you can't come here now on a tourist/visitor visa. If you are looking into the future without Covid, everything back to normal then Gregorio's post is perfectly relevant unless the visitor visa laws suddenly changed.

Some new news I read yesterday from another member was that preliminary applications can/could have the initial application filed for the SRRV in country ( your home country with your local Philippines consulate) before was always on PH. soil.
Once the initial paperwork for an SRRV in your home country is accomplished the applicant can apply for a tourist visa to accomplish the rest of the paperwork and hoops in the Philippines once quarantine regimes have been completed, finish the process.

For those of us living here now on a visitor visa becomes expensive once reaching the 24 or 36 month mark depending on country treaties.

As for the cost difference between Visitor visa and shoving US 10K into a hole? I submitted figures on the effective difference some time ago and the fiscal bottom line from memory was about 10 to 12 years to match a Visitor visa, I never took into account (well I did in my head) US 10K in a hole earning five eighths of #uck all against a visa run every 3 years, flights, accommodation etc. Money invested in a 401 or super in Oz earning 6 to 10% instead of .1% in the Philippines.
What I did and do take into consideration is not having to visit my local immi office every 60 days, lockdowns or no.
Once things open up again there are other benefits which the SRRV  offers but honestly? Not enough to jump up and down about now that I'm retired and travelling less, non existent ATM.

Good luck Tony and keep us posted.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Gregorio2020 wrote:

Hi Steve,
In my 10+ years, things have been pretty stable, but I certainly understand that this country changes laws and policies all the time. My Visa is good until August 2022....and certainly hope the travel restrictions will be over..........BUT if they are still in effect, not sure what I will do. One option would be renting a condo in Thailand or Malaysia until returning to the Philippines is possible. I might also have to look at the SRRV requirements again.

Exactly Gregorio. Different times with new restrictions. You like me are in a good position with time to think about a direction, number crunching, alternative visa options, loved ones and commitments here etc etc.

Every thing I read and see for border openings here to date seems to be mid to late 2022 but could go into 2023. Very sad and difficult times especially for the Filipino people.
Chin up as we do and work through the problems.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

No problem Steve... I'm just another person waiting for the Philippines to open up for Tourists.  It does seem easier just to go with the new Pleasure Tourist A-2 Visa and redo it with the extensions. I can see that it would give you a break every 36 months to visit around too.  Come back and do it again.  Hopefully, that won't change.  You would think the PI government would not change too much that would jeopardize their tourism revenue.. the "one bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" scenario.  but.. one can never tell.  We should take up a pool with a spread of when PI will open.. LOL  Here's my $2.00

I'm gonna say.... Mar 1 - Apr 14 of 2022

More precicely.
SRRV cannot be applied for from outside Ph.

The situation is that for those, not currently in Ph and qualifying for SRRV, it is possible to get a tourist visa with an EED, provided that they commit to applying for SRRV once in the country.

Indeed, all required documentation needs to be completed (incl apostile) and deposit and fees paid in advance. Only then PRA will submit a request to DFA to endorse a Tourist visa.

After entering Ph on that visa, the SRRV application can be filed formally.

emvaningen wrote:

More precicely.
SRRV cannot be applied for from outside Ph.

The situation is that for those, not currently in Ph and qualifying for SRRV, it is possible to get a tourist visa with an EED, provided that they commit to applying for SRRV once in the country.

Indeed, all required documentation needs to be completed (incl apostile) and deposit and fees paid in advance. Only then PRA will submit a request to DFA to endorse a Tourist visa.

After entering Ph on that visa, the SRRV application can be filed formally.

Isn't that what I said?

Cheers, Steve.

Yes Steve, but you know what happened..

I just wanted to underline the commitment and the advance payment requirements.

tpiro wrote:

Greg... thanks for the input.  Yes I was figuring the same as you had stated.  The SRRV.. financially is iffy.. don't like slapping 10 or 20k US into some institution I don't know.  I do have one concern though-  what if the PH.. IM changes the Tourist visa process?  Then that would force you to obtain an SRRV and that's my major concern.. your thoughts please... Tony

Or marry   :)   then you get more options

I just read this in a Cebu paper......3 foreigners were NOT allowed entry in the Philippines because they did not secure a visa BEFORE arriving.  Maybe you guys already knew this, but now i know for sure that if you leave for any reason...you will not be allowed back in........due to the Covid travel restrictions. I have a friend who has chosen to overstay his visa because he doesn't want to leave.........I don't advise that. But since you can't process the SRRV while in the Philippines....my best option will be to leave the Philippines and stay in another country until these travel restrictions are lifted. My visa expires in August 2022...and certainly hope things are ok by then.

These incidents prompted BI Commissioner Jaime Morente to remind foreign nationals that the Philippines is still closed to foreign tourists due to the Covid-19 pandemic, and that only aliens with valid and existing visas are allowed entry.

Not sure if this is a typo:

.........I don't advise that. But since you can't process the SRRV while in the Philippines....

Because YES you can process & apply for SRRV and ONLY if you are in The Philippines.

emvaningen wrote:

Not sure if this is a typo:

.........I don't advise that. But since you can't process the SRRV while in the Philippines....

Because YES you can process & apply for SRRV and ONLY if you are in The Philippines.

Thats what I have red to.

Good info that you passed along.. thank you much

From what I heard and read and, I have a buddy who will be attempting this task... is to:  gather all of your SRRV document requirements.. get them all Apostilled,  get your EED form and contact PH consulate here in US and they will approve your SRRV request for travel (approve means all of our documents and EED are all correct ONLY).. then they are suppose to issue you a Tourist Visa to enter PI and then you are to confirm to IM there that you are applying for SRRV.. and PRA does the rest...correct me if I am wrong.

You must secure a visa from consulate here in the US before PI travel if you are going for the SRRV or they will NOT let you in.

Philippines  will open up in May  If things stay the same

Ooops...sorry about that mistake....In the Philippines is the only place to process SRRV...

Actually Greg.. ur right.. one will only gather the required docs and process them in US.. then bring them to PI to process the SRRV.  From what I have gathered is you can only finished and receive the SRRV in the Philippines..

If not in Ph, you can prepare all documentary requirements abroad.
Once all requirements are met, AND you have paid all required PRA fees and deposits, then you can request an EED from PRA only.
[I know because I live with somebody who assists with this process the entire day].

Only once your EED has been approved, you can apply for a tourist visa.
Only with a visa you can enter The Philippines.
Once you are in the Philippines you can file your official application.

With most of these steps you can be assisted by PRA Marketers. Some ask outrageous fees for this service, others do it for free or low fee, because PRA already pays marketers a fee.

spot on mate...   I was pretty close from what I remembered..LOL

emvaningen wrote:

Once all requirements are met, AND you have paid all required PRA fees and deposits, then you can request an EED from PRA only.

Anyone know roughly what the time frame for this is these days?  One advantage of SRRV is that it's the only way to get in right now for many.  But I suspect the normal tourist visas will start up again fairly soon,  I think early spring is a good guess.  So if this pre-SRRV process takes months,  that advantage (getting in now) may or may not be worth much.

I tend to agree.. don't know how long it takes but I am certainly hoping that the Philippines will open spring of 2022 for the PI Tourists.. fingers crossed and pray

It depends, from the moment DBP has certified receipt of the deposit, it took about 4w for the EED to be issued. That was for a recent batch.
No guarantees for future batches.

Tourist visa......try the life before you commit yourself. Don.t. urn your bridges YEt.!!!

Hi, Tony. Since you are American you may be able to go with a special SRRV visa for ex-US military vets. Here is what someone posted about it when I was in your shoes a couple of years ago:

The SRRV has a special option that allows US Military with a DD214 and Honorable discharge to obtain this visa much lower than all of the others.  The same form is used (PRA-CR-FORM-0004) but the requirements differ.  This is called "SRRV Expanded Courtesy for retired personnel for 50 years old and above." 
The vet does not have to be retired or a twenty year+ vet and can be disabled.  Total cost is $1500 USD deposit + $1400 USD application fee, + $30 USD additional to allow for bank charges.  There will be a $10 USD/year reporting fee payable up to three years in advance.  There will never be a need to visit any immigration office after this. 
The break-even point will be reached in about 6.5 years vs. a tourist visa cost (excluding visa run costs every 3 years).  There is no need to be married nor to get married and even if married, it does not involve the spouse like the 13A visa.  This SRRV may not be for all but it works great for me since I own a van and wish to drive legally with a Phil license.

You should check with the PH Embassy in Washington to see if this option is still available.  Good luck!

The only benefit for having the SRRV is that you can stay as long as you like without having to worry about visas etc. You can use your deposited funds to invest in a condo.

Apart from the above, they are most unhelpful, and do not offer anything else of use, for instance; they say you get special rates for having Philhealth, well, I got Philhealth at the same rate. Also, they tell you that you can get all your goods shipped up to a certain amount for free, however, if you do it their way, you will have to pay duties and taxes.  I shipped all my stuff by a Balikbayan shipper, which means eveything arrives without customs checks.

If you need help with the SRRV application, If your from the UK I can let you have info, but I don't know how the requirements differ for other countries.

Hell Bazz,

Sadly I agree with you that SRRV is hugely oversold, not to mention the scandalous discrimination of holders of SRRV recently and barring them from returning home (in The Philippines) and now having to submit to a N. Korean-type  control system where all overseas travel has to be pre-advised to PRA (not their fault) and too much personal info has to be given to too many people via an undoubtedly insecure system.

That aside, I am an SRRV holder since early 2006 and the travel freedom and absence of hassle makes it worth. I too have invested instead of leaving my money in their bank, and I am punished for that with a USD500 fee to compensate for the interest based kick-backs they receive from banks over the approx USD1b in deposits made by SRRV holders.

However I am happy with the status quo. My wife is a marketer (one of the few that doesn't charges fees) and has assisted very many people with the paperwork for SRRV and currently for EED in combination with a tourist visa (with conditions)

There are no country dependent rules for obtaining SRRV, with the exception of PRC nationals perhaps., but nobody says this loud.

Hi all is not SRR visa talk mute as the program is on hold?  and the latest number I heard form friends in PI is 50kusd.  Most that do that buy a condo. If any has any info on the new SRR visa plan please let me know. I am hoping that Duartes will open tourist visa in January but??? If im off base please let me know. Thanks JIM

Hi Jim,

1. No, the programme is not on hold, but you can only apply if you are 50+.

2. People have to apply from within the Philippines, but can get a 9a tourist visa with a special approval (EED) from DFA if they intent to apply for SRRV. Help for obtaining an EED (which is a requirement for getting  a tourist visa) is available from PRA marketers, who should not charge for this service. An EED, if approved, is issued free of charge.

3. The deposit is not 50k, but 10k or 20k, dependent of whether or not there is a pension, or even as low as USD1500, for former US military and some other lucky people.