High school in Nice

Does anyone know any international high schools in Nice (Lycée)? ISN-Nice charges 26175,- euros per student a year (and we have two girls…), so we are wondering if there are any other options for them since they do not speak french:).

We are moving to Nice next year😀. —Beathé

Hi, Beathé. Assuming your daughters will be enrolling in the Fall, I advise you to begin immersing them in the language right away and then enroll them in public school.

Let me share with you a story a university colleague of mine told me a number of years ago. It was a sabbatical year for him and he decided to take it in Rio de Janeiro (he's a mathematician and they have a big math institute there). So the whole family, mom dad and their two teenage sons, packed up and moved to Rio and enrolled the boys in public middle school. The boys didn't know a word of Portuguese and for the first three months, everything around them sounded like gobbledygook. Then, suddenly, it all fell into place and they were suddenly fluent. My eldest daughter had a similar experience after moving to Spain: she didn't speak a word of Spanish when she arrived, but after two weeks, she was pretty fluent. Of course, she already knew French and Italian, but still, fluency in two weeks shows the power of immersion.

You have tons of time to get ready. Have the girls watch French TV shows without subtitles, listen to French songs with translations (you need translations when you don't have visual cues available) and generally surround them with the sound of the language.

Bob
PS: If your girls can read English, you might want to check out my translations of the songs of Georges Brassens. The link in the title of each song is to the recording.

No but some lycee in France have International classes which would help them to get some french with some Classes in English If you want to leave in France the sooner you start with french the better it is...

Live I meant

I do not think someone will get fluent in french in two weeks. So there are languages school like Acadomia with private teachers. The state is paying back half of tuitions. Get in touch with Inlingua or Acadomia. They will help you out. We are in the same situation.

ChrisKoe_17 wrote:

No but some lycee in France have International classes which would help them to get some french with some Classes in English If you want to leave in France the sooner you start with french the better it is...

Amen.

Thank you very much for answering me:-) As it looks right now it seems like the girls  will be starting a french private school, that are used to intergrate foreign students. They will be taking some french courses before we move. They speak english and norwegian, and some german and spanish. I guess it will be a hard school year, but hopefully it will turn out great eventually. Thank you for the link! I sent you a request for opening it :-)

Beathe

Hello, Beathe,

Thanks again for bringing the access problem to my attention. As I mentioned in my first note, in the interest of improving security, Google made some changes to shared documents (such as my trabslations) that broke public access to the translations. I fixed the problem and checked that everyone can read the files without having to request permission.

I hope you and your family enjoy the songs and my translations. 2021 marks the hundredth anniversary of Brassens' birth and there are celebrations going on everywhere in France. Moreover, since Brassens' songs and poetry are taught in French schools, your girls will have a head start when their poetry classes start.

Regards,

Robert Uomini