Transferring USD outside Turkey is prohibited. Is this true?

Hello,

I am helping my aunt move to Istanbul so I am researching for her what she needs to do once she gets there and where to go to open a bank account.

I have been researching  for good banks for expats, required paperwork and possibility of opening a USD Bank account.

But I came upon an article that mentions that transferring dollars outside Turkey is prohibited. I wanted to know if this information is correct. I was trying to contact some banks (HSBC and Ziraat) but they don't have emails and their contact forms require a Turkish number which I don't have yet (as we are not in Istanbul yet).

I was wondering if someone has information regarding that or know which Bank branch of HSBC or Ziraat bank have English speaking staff that I can call.

Thank you

This is unheard of... it'd be a dealbreaker for me if true. But as per the banks here, you can transfer globally foreign currency. Make sure to cross check with your bank and update us here if not so.

Hello HassaanAbdeen,

I found this information in the following article https://move2turkey.com/opening-a-bank- … ners-2020/
But I haven't been able to find it anywhere else. I contacted the website to get additional information regarding the topic but still no reply from them.

I'm still not in Turkey yet, but I am trying to get as much information ahead of time so I can plan ahead. And this information got me worried.

I'm still trying to get clarifications on that and will definitely update if I have anything new.

I am in the process to obtain my residency to be able afterwards to open a bank account. Once I do so, I'll get a confirmation as I run a dry test and update you.

If it turns out what you're saying is right, I'll open a bank account in Tbilisi to feed the one in Turkey for my daily expenses.

This is a serious issue.
If you have more information about prohibition of transferring $ outside of Turkey (I suppose other currency €, £, the same), please let people know.  Seams to me unbelievable but in this world evrything is possible. Thank you for information.
P.S.
I remember few years ago, a similar situation was in Greece for a short period of time. Guvernments can take whatever decisions they want if need it. We are experiencing an international crisis. Measures without precedent can occur.

I recommend Garanti Bank . They have great customer service and can communicate on WhatsApp or email. Also have English Customer Reps.

Good luck
Aylin

Hello,
Most banks are have English spoken customer service. Just follow the function on your call at the beginning.
For transfer money from Turkey to abroad not prohibited. Have some simple procedure for you to follow.

Thank you aylinburdett and Erol Alper.

Your info is much appreciated.

message deleted

Pariste wrote:

This is a serious issue.
If you have more information about prohibition of transferring $ outside of Turkey (I suppose other currency €, £, the same), please let people know.  Seams to me unbelievable but in this world evrything is possible. Thank you for information.
P.S.
I remember few years ago, a similar situation was in Greece for a short period of time. Guvernments can take whatever decisions they want if need it. We are experiencing an international crisis. Measures without precedent can occur.

The article mentioned only restrictions on USD and not any other currencies, and it could be temporary.  As mentioned before by Erol, it probably just requires extra steps.