What are you missing in Portugal?

Hi everyone,

Living in Portugal, on the long or short run, it is completely normal to feel homesick sometimes. We would like to know what you are missing the most about your home country in Portugal.

Do you miss any aspects of your home culture? If so, what are these?

Are you able to reproduce dishes from home and find the necessary ingredients?

What about leisure activities? Have you had to reconsider your favourite activities? If so, which ones have you had to give up?

Are there any celebrations or traditions from your home country that you cannot take part in Portugal?

How do you cope with that in your daily life?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

We live in Portugal full time, we don't miss any cultural things from the UK.
We have been able to make dishes that we used to have back in the UK but we tend to make more Portuguese food because here is where we live so seems stupid not to have Portuguese cuisine.
We are blessed with enough land to do leisurely walks which during COVID has been a blessing also we can swim everyday so as for giving up any leisure activities no we haven't had to.
What we do miss From the UK is family I missed my sisters 60th birthday due to COVID & restrictions but we are planning on having a celebration next year when she is over for my wedding 💒 so that will be brilliant.
Do not miss the cold & wet weather.
Have not once felt homesick.

Really good to know!  We plan to come over very soon, and am hoping to feel the same.  Do you speak any Portuguese?

We speak a little we also have good Portuguese neighbours & friends who listen to what you are trying to say & are very helpful as they will get what you are trying to say & fill in the blanks for you, we have also learnt a lot from the subtitles on the tv.

Thanks Jean.

Your welcome,
Hope it has helped you to feel a little more settled in the knowledge of knowing that it can be done, I am in the upper half of middle age & my fiancé is in the upper half of 60s so if we can do it I say anyone can. Are you going to be living over here? If so I wish you well in your adventure.

Thank you - yes, your comments have encouraged me.  We hope to come out immediately we get a serious offer on our house (not yet on the market, still sprucing it up).  I'm in my 60's and my husband is in his early 70's.  We hope to live in the Lagoa de Óbidos area.  Congratulations on your engagement!  :)

Thank you hope all works out well for you.

Family - Gravy granules cheap secondhand furniture shops

paulinesumner wrote:

Family - Gravy granules cheap secondhand furniture shops

Gravy? Please don't say Bisto!

There is a Tesco & an Iceland in the algarve they sell gravy granules can't help with the cheap furniture shop though sorry.

I miss the food culture of my country a lot.  Long lazy cafe breakfasts/brunches of delicious food such as eggs Benedict! 
To name just a few ingredients I cannot buy:
fresh pouring cream  - here there is only UHT cream.
rhubarb - so no rhubarb crumble!
The local sheep meat does not taste great. So no Sunday roast lamb, sadly
Swede is not heard of here and it is a lovely vegetable when boiled and mashed with butter.

Oh dear!  I also love swedes, lamb and pouring cream.  The health benefits and warmer weather will, I hope, compensate.