Remote work while staying long term in Germany on family reunion visa

Hi I am a Singapore PR, working for a local company. I need to go to Germany on family reunion visa for long term. But my current employer wants me to work remotely from Germany for the Singapore based company and my salary will be paid in SG$ in Singapore bank.

Is it legal in Germany to work remotely for a company based in Singapore with family reunion visa?
Will there be any tax implication in Germany if salary is received in SG$ in Singapore bank

This constellation (remote work) has been discussed in detail on the forum.
In short:
- If your FRV includes the right to work (it usually does!), then what you are planning is legal.
- However, since you have no employer in Germany, you will be classified as self-employed, which involves a whole lot of formalities (business registration, accountancy, taxation). Without near-fluent German, you will have to engage professionals for all this, which will cost.
- Also, without an employer that pays half of social security and health insurance costs, you'd have to pay all by yourself.
- As for taxation: By general rule (and stated in the Singapore-German tax treaty), income is taxable where the work is done (NOT where it is paid, which generally doesn't matter at all). German taxes are far higher than Singapore's, so that will cost you again.
- Altogether, I personally think it would be financially unattractive - unless your employer covers all these costs (unlikely) or they have a German office and employ you there.

In addition: You are Indian national, according to your profile. So you must also check the Singapore-India- and India-German-tax treaties - if there are any.
If not, or if these treaties are not in your favour, there is a real chance of double taxation in such a three-country-constellation!

Thanks a lot for the help beppi .  :top:

Hi beppi ,

If I plan to accept to work as a freelance/self employed who can help to get the below information and service :

Do I need to consult a lawyer or tax consultant ?

1. Documentation processing as self employed
2. To get it verified if I can work on FRV
3. Tax and social security calculation

ritisngpt wrote:

Do I need to consult a lawyer or tax consultant ?

1. Documentation processing as self employed
2. To get it verified if I can work on FRV
3. Tax and social security calculation

In principle, you can do everything yourself (without a lawyer, accountant and/or tax consultant), but that requires near fluent German (and legalese German too!) and knowledge of the regulations.
Question 2 you should ask your visa-issuing authority or nearest Ausländeramt.