Need a kitchen made

I'm building a house in Cabrera and looking to get a kitchen made. Any advice would be great!

Welcome thank the forums. I don't even know where to start on this.  Others in the area can suggest people to you for this

Chelo... is one idea, for cabinets....
ebonista is what you're looking for

Find a good ebanista, cabinet maker, locally. There are some skilled craftsmen about. They are used to working with local hardwood and not laminates. My advice is you may need to source drawer sliders yourself.

I am not too thrilled with the quality from the local guys. Any cabinet makers in the big city? (santo domingo o Santiago)?

There are lots of them.  Issue is getting them to go there won't be easy and definitely add to the costs.

Ask your neighbors, friends, even strangers you run across if they are happy with their kitchen and who built it.

We received so much conflicting advice from folks (locally built concrete or wood kitchen vs. imported kitchens vs. Ikea kitchens) and we went back and forth several times on which way we were going. We've lived in rentals with all three since moving down here and have seen the pros and cons of each.

You'll want to think about the look you want (island, modern, traditional), whether you'll be renting the place out when you aren't here (renters can be hard on furnishings), how much space you have and what you need (concrete cabinets waste a lot of space), how easy you want maintenance to be (wood has to be oiled periodically and can warp over time, cheap laminates will peel, cheap MDF will cause problems).

I just recently had my condo renovated with new cabinet by builder in Sosua. Good quality. Overall i am satisfied. PM me if you want his contact

Thank you everyone!

Ikea have kitchen cabinets

It's definitely a challenge.  If you want to pay the "big" price I am sure you can get good cabinet makers somewhere.  Here's my story: I hired an architect (lol, should have done it myself) to design the kitchen we wanted.  I had to redo the design as the architects design didn't work.  I hired a maestro (lol...I thought I should have had a chance since he spoke english, in the end I did most of his work myself) I hired a referred ebanista (lol again, with plans, specs all supposed to be solid oak (roble) not even close.  Fired them all  didn't pay them the full amount and finished the job myself.  Since they were using all of my tools and building the cabinets in my house I really couldn't see much point or advantage of having them do it.  Every step forward was followed by 2 steps back... :lol:  Thankfully our granite guy performed magic and the the end product is pretty good but don't expect the extras like lazy susans, or smart cupboards or any sort of artistry.  I had to do all of this.  I even had to take apart every drawer (14) and put in the proper (self closing) sliders because they incorrectly measured and ended up installing cheap sliders so they would fit!  There was no shelving installed inside the cabinets, the lighting that I specified was a mess.
I removed all of it and re-did this myself too.  The list was endless but thankfully I was able to correct most of it and now I am pretty satisfied with the final result.  Their interpretation of cabinets is nothing like a cabinet.  Prepare a contract of what you want, include plans and have them stamp and sign the documents.  That will at least keep the fiscal away when the time comes...  Good luck, teeth in hand...

This is exactly what I am afraid of, already fired most of the people that did work at my house. I am blessed my father is a contractor so we hired our own workers and sent tools that we need from Canada.

We are making the kitchen here in Canada and will Ship it down and assemble it in Cabrera ourselves.
Getting quality work done in the DR has been very difficult.

Yes Mrsanwal, not to mention getting good quality wood is both difficult and expensive.

@sharondacheco Having been a Master Carpenter and Cabinetmaker for over 30 years, with my own custom millwork shop for 23 years, I would advise that you stay FAR away from IKEA cabinets...