The correct visa type when raising for mother in law

Hi team !!

Myself along with my husband and baby will be moving to Belgium soon on work permit .
Now I have to raise visa for my mother in law .
Kindly guide me if how i can raise multiple entry visa for her and which option to choose .

And what would be the list of documents required

I think it's Visitor visa which is supposed to be short stay.  Except of course if you can prove to the authorities that she is dependent on you and your husband for her survival. Cos there is no provision for antecedants in family reunion group. 

You will have to invite her by sending letter of invitation which she will add to her own visa application.
Confirm from others though.

Best wishes

I will also be interested to know, what will be the process for this kind of visa. As i am planning to bring my parents in belgium for long period such as 6 months or more.. Thanks

Keep in mind that they can only come for maximum 90 days on a period of 180 days.
But basically, if your parents are coming from "poor" third-country (India) and if they've never received a visa from an OECD countries before/used their passport in rich countries, they'll never receive more than a 1 month visa for their first Schengen Visa.

After that first trip, if they go back in their country without immigration problem, meaning that "now" they can be trusted, then they'll be able to request 180d and multiple entries.

As for your information, your parent must be able to show money per day of stays.
If they're invited (annexe 3 bis): 45€ per day.
If they go to hotel: 95€ per day

Basically their bank account define how many days of stay in EU they can request.
And of course, if they're millionaire, they can request whatever they want :whistle:

Second big point of a visa request: proof that they're going back home no matter what (Home/accomodation/spouse still in country/money/...)

AlexFromBelgium wrote:

Keep in mind that they can only come for maximum 90 days on a period of 180 days.
But basically, if your parents are coming from "poor" third-country (India) and if they've never received a visa from an OECD countries before/used their passport in rich countries, they'll never receive more than a 1 month visa for their first Schengen Visa.

After that first trip, if they go back in their country without immigration problem, meaning that "now" they can be trusted, then they'll be able to request 180d and multiple entries.

Nowadays if you show enough financial means to travel, stay, assurance that they go back to home country, consulate grants 89 days visa even in the very first application.

And as Alex said, your parents or in laws cannot (as of now) get a multiple entry visa to Belgium. After multiple visits, clean immigration record, on a case to case basis they give multiple entry visas but duration of stay will most likely still be 90 days max.

Thanks, yes they visited already for multiple times to me. Also i am not sure if they comes under the family reunion visa. Since my citizenship status is also changed to Belgium.

Now i am just afraid about for there visa as both of my parents got retired last year the only reason they can mention is bunch of properties in india.

my idea was that in summers they can stay with me and during winters in india. FYI. Money is not an issue 😉

Good to know Aneesh :)

Parents can not benefit from family reunion international rights, except if you're EU (and not Belgian!!!).
Only spouse + direct children if you're Belgian or non-EU national.
You've to understand that immigration laws are split in 3 categories: Belgian, EU (non belgian), third country.

The only other choice is humanitarian/retired visa and it is decided by immigration case by case: you've to proof that your parents depends on you (money, healthcare, send money to home country many time, ...), no family left in home country to take care of them, ... ==> super difficult, doable, but never sure of the result as there's no laws to define what is a good or bad visa request.
The more money they can show, (read between the lines: our government will never have to pay 1€ for them until they die... sorry but that's the truth), the more chance they'll have to get their visas.