News just in

Andybris2020 wrote:

What I didnt see due to rain :(

https://i.postimg.cc/4NJDXdYN/IMG-2445.jpg

I thought you was going to say you didn't see it, the telescope eyepiece was too high 😁🤣😁🤣😁🤣

At last it COULD be happening.

Proposal to reopen regular international flights from December 15
The Ministry of Transport has proposed to the Government to restore regular international flights on 9 routes from December 15.

The plan of the Ministry of Transport, launched on December 7, is divided into two pilot phases. Phase 1, allowing regular flights between Vietnam and markets with a high safety factor, including: Beijing (China), Tokyo (Japan), Seoul (Korea), Taipei (China) Taiwan), Bangkok (Thailand), Singapore, Vienchan (Laos), Phnom Penh (Cambodia), San Francisco or Los Angeles (USA).

The international airports of Vietnam that are allowed to receive these routes are Noi Bai and Tan Son Nhat.

Phase 2 from January 1, 2022, the Ministry of Transport proposed the Prime Minister to expand regular flights between Vietnam to 15 markets including: Beijing (China), Tokyo (Japan), Seoul (Korea) China), Bangkok (Thailand), Singapore, Vienchan (Laos), Phnom Penh (Cambodia), San Francisco or Los Angeles (USA), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Hong Kong, Paris (France), Frankfurt (Germany), Sydney (Australia), Moscow (Russia) and Taipei.

Vietnam's international airports to receive flights in phase 2 are Noi Bai (Hanoi), Tan Son Nhat (HCMC), Da Nang, Cam Ranh (Khanh Hoa), Phu Quoc (Kien Giang). , Van Don (Quang Ninh).

Link to story

Thanks for the info, will keep my fingers crossed.

Andybris2020 wrote:

At last it COULD be happening.

Proposal to reopen regular international flights from December 15
The Ministry of Transport has proposed to the Government to restore regular international flights on 9 routes from December 15.

The plan of the Ministry of Transport, launched on December 7, is divided into two pilot phases. Phase 1, allowing regular flights between Vietnam and markets with a high safety factor, including: Beijing (China), Tokyo (Japan), Seoul (Korea), Taipei (China) Taiwan), Bangkok (Thailand), Singapore, Vienchan (Laos), Phnom Penh (Cambodia), San Francisco or Los Angeles (USA).

The international airports of Vietnam that are allowed to receive these routes are Noi Bai and Tan Son Nhat.

Phase 2 from January 1, 2022, the Ministry of Transport proposed the Prime Minister to expand regular flights between Vietnam to 15 markets including: Beijing (China), Tokyo (Japan), Seoul (Korea) China), Bangkok (Thailand), Singapore, Vienchan (Laos), Phnom Penh (Cambodia), San Francisco or Los Angeles (USA), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Hong Kong, Paris (France), Frankfurt (Germany), Sydney (Australia), Moscow (Russia) and Taipei.

Vietnam's international airports to receive flights in phase 2 are Noi Bai (Hanoi), Tan Son Nhat (HCMC), Da Nang, Cam Ranh (Khanh Hoa), Phu Quoc (Kien Giang). , Van Don (Quang Ninh).

Link to story

Thanks Andy good news, but UK is not in the list but Germany, perhaps i can fly out from Germany😊

More of the story.....

People entering the country who receive the full dose of the vaccine will not have to be isolated in quarantine
The person on entry has had two vaccines, tested negative, and only self-isolates and monitors their health at home for a certain period of time, ensuring disease safety.

Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam mentioned the above directive at a meeting with the Ministry of Health and units on reviewing the prevention of Covid-19 related to overseas Vietnamese and foreigners entering Vietnam, in the afternoon. 8/12.

Link to story

Gov has agreed on plan
Vietnam restores international routes from January 2022
The Government has agreed to a plan to restore regular international flights carrying passengers to areas with a high safety factor, starting from January 1, 2022.

The Government Office announced the above directive of Deputy Prime Minister Pham Binh Minh, on the evening of December 10.

Link to Story

Andybris2020 wrote:

Gov has agreed on plan
The Government has agreed to a plan to restore regular international flights carrying passengers to areas with a high safety factor, starting from January 1, 2022.

The Government Office announced the above directive of Deputy Prime Minister Pham Binh Minh, on the evening of December 10.

Link to Story

Thanks Andy good news. Any idea about the visa system?

batstonec wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Gov has agreed on plan

Link to Story

Thanks Andy good news. Any idea about the visa system?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 08#5307151

Latest on flights starting from 4th Jan 2022:-
Aviation reopens 8 international routes
The Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam has licensed domestic airlines to operate eight of the nine scheduled international routes as of January 4.

Eight international routes have been restored, including Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Cambodia, the US, Korea, Laos, and Thailand. The route to China (Beijing, Guangzhou) has not yet reopened because negotiations with the aviation authorities have not been completed.

Link to Story

Anyone Know any information on getting a visa... Have emailed both New York consulate and Washington DC Embassy with no reply Looking to travel in February.. Flights open but not willing to commit with out know status of visa... I have all required for entry triple vaxed with "official" health declaration from embassy.....Have applied for visa both 1 year and 30 day tourist no action form consulate!!! Hotel on reserve.....So if any one knows any thing please let me know...   Thank you!!!!!!

jglander wrote:

Anyone Know any information on getting a visa... Have emailed both New York consulate and Washington DC Embassy with no reply Looking to travel in February.. Flights open but not willing to commit with out know status of visa... I have all required for entry triple vaxed with "official" health declaration from embassy.....Have applied for visa both 1 year and 30 day tourist no action form consulate!!! Hotel on reserve.....So if any one knows any thing please let me know...   Thank you!!!!!!

I spoke with someone at the Houston Consulate yesterday and was told they have not received any directions from Hanoi. I asked about February and she said the same thing. So NO tourist visas issued by Embassy.
I also have applied for a 1 year visa and never received anything back. I have emailed several times with no answers. They do answer the phone so I communicate that way.
You can get a visa from tour companies but you're limited where you can go.

pogiwayne wrote:
jglander wrote:

I spoke with someone at the Houston Consulate yesterday and was told they have not received any directions from Hanoi. I asked about February and she said the same thing. So NO tourist visas issued by Embassy.
I also have applied for a 1 year visa and never received anything back. I have emailed several times with no answers. They do answer the phone so I communicate that way.
You can get a visa from tour companies but you're limited where you can go.

The first wave of flights is aimed at spouses, family, Vietnamese, experts, tourists were NOT mentioned.

There is a 2nd wave opening up more countries to come in:-

According to the CAAV plan, Vietnam is set to restore regular international flights in two phases, with the first phase covering the air routes with Beijing/Guangxi (China), Tokyo (Japan), Seoul (the Republic of Korea), Taipei (Taiwan, China), Bangkok (Thailand), Singapore, Vientiane (Laos), Phnom Penh (Cambodia), and San Francisco/Los Angeles (the US).

Meanwhile, the second phase will see the reopening of routes linking with six more other foreign destinations, which are Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Hong Kong (China), Paris (France), Frankfurt (Germany), Sydney (Australia), and Moscow (Russia).

The only tourist mentioned were on planned tours, where you could not leave the tour and did not fly into Hanoi or HCMC as you just mentioned, as far as I know there has been no mention of tourists coming in apart from that, this thread gives more info:-
www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=961808#5281124

As we try to return back to normal here come the crazies:-

The plane was threatened with shooting on the way from Japan to Vietnam
On January 5, Vietnam Airlines flight VN5311 from Narita Airport (Tokyo) to Hanoi was threatened by a man to "shoot down while crossing Tokyo Bay".

According to the announcement of the Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam on the evening of January 5, flight VN5311 from Narita to Hanoi departed at 10:30 a.m. (local time) with 12 flight attendants, 3 pilots and 47 passengers.

Link to story

Stand by for Omicron:- 
Ho Chi Minh City recorded the first 3 cases of community Omicron
On January 19 announced 3 cases of Omicron infection, the first cases in the community in Ho Chi Minh City were found to have a new mutation.

Information from the Hospital April 30 this morning said that on January 15, the hospital received a number of positive Covid-19 rapid test samples sent by a private clinic for PCR testing (confirmed value). Molecular biology laboratory staff detected three samples with abnormal S gene. The hospital sends these samples to the Hospital for Tropical Diseases in Ho Chi Minh City for viral gene sequencing. On the afternoon of January 18, the results of solving all three genomes belonged to the Omicron variant (BA.1).

Three patients include a 35-year-old person living in Binh Chanh district, a 31-year-old person living in District 11 and a 48-year-old person living in Go Vap. These three people had symptoms of sore throat and runny nose, so they went to this private clinic. It is not clear if the three are related at this time.

These are also the first cases of community Omicron recorded in Vietnam, bringing the total number of new infections to 73, of which 70 are imported people who are immediately isolated. Specifically, Ho Chi Minh City has 33 cases (3 communities, 30 entry), Quang Nam 27, Da Nang 3, Thanh Hoa, Khanh Hoa, Quang Ninh 2 each, Hai Duong, Hai Phong and Long An each.

If we assume roughly the same timescales as SA, UK, etc, then the Omicron peak will happen around mid or late February, and then take a month to subside. So, maybe all clear by mid April?
Will the government try to flatten the curve? Who knows? I guess that they will watch for possible overloading of health services and failure of transport services. We should probably expect a repeat of the controls in the traditional markets, stopping bus services, etc.

Expat42inVN wrote:

If we assume roughly the same timescales as SA, UK, etc, then the Omicron peak will happen around mid or late February, and then take a month to subside. So, maybe all clear by mid April?
Will the government try to flatten the curve? Who knows? I guess that they will watch for possible overloading of health services and failure of transport services. We should probably expect a repeat of the controls in the traditional markets, stopping bus services, etc.

I'm not sure people will stand another soft lockdown process where shops and services are cut back even temporarily.

For most Omicron will just be a bad cold scenario, those with serious pre-existing health conditions might be at greater risk.

Expat42inVN wrote:

Data from a certain Youtuber (who shall remain nameless) show great data on the point you just made, most countries peaked and went back down within a month or so, Omicron also displaced Delta which is great as Omicron's data so far is that its causing far less serious hospital cases, less deaths, less people in ICU and on Ventilators.
Data also shows so far that vaccinated are getting some protection vs unvaccinated.
Lets all hope that the trend carries on in Vietnam where although just about everyone will be exposed but the number of serious cases will be less.
In countries with Omicron around 50% of those who reported as "having a cold" tested positive for Omicron, most people had symptons for around 3-5 days.

Omicron Symptons so far:-
Runny nose, 73%
Headache, 68%
Fatigue, 64%
Sneezing, 60%
Sore throat, 60%
Persistent cough, 44%
Hoarse voice, 36%
Chills or shivers, 30%
Fever, 29%
Dizzy, 28%
Brain fog, 24%
Altered smell, 23%
Sore eyes, 23%
Unusual muscle pains, 23%
Skipped meals, 21%
Loss of smell, 19%
Chest pain, 19%
Swollen glands, 19%
Feeling down, 16%

This looks like good news. Can any recent travelers confirm?...

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/202 … XfeJkHQwgs

ejmom25 wrote:

Important to note that this applies to domestic flights within Vietnam (partial copy of the article with italics & bold highlights mine)

"Vietnam stops checking COVID-19 testing, vaccination papers at airports
Tuoi Tre News
Saturday, January 22, 2022

The Vietnamese Ministry of Transport has lifted the requirement of certificates of full vaccination against COVID-19, recovery from the disease or negative test results on air passengers from Saturday.

Deputy Minister of Transport Le Anh Tuan made a number of adjustments to the standards and conditions for passengers and crews of regular commercial flights in a dispatch sent to airlines and airport authorities on Friday.

Accordingly, certificates of full vaccination against COVID-19, recovery from the disease or negative test results are no longer compulsory for air passengers.

Only a coronavirus test certificate with a negative result using the real-time RT-PCR method or a rapid test within 72 hours before departure remains mandatory for passengers residing in areas at very high risk of COVID-19 transmission or in neighborhoods placed under medical isolation before the flight.

Cabin crews are also no longer subject to coronavirus testing before each flight.

Currently, the situation of the COVID-19 pandemic in Vietnam is basically under control nationwide and the vaccination rate is high, according to the Ministry of Transport.

The ministry has directed the Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam to closely monitor domestic air transport operations and proactively adjust the flight frequency to meet the travel needs of people while ensuring safe adaptation, flexibility, and effective control over the pandemic."

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
ejmom25 wrote:

Important to note that this applies to domestic flights within Vietnam (partial copy of the article with italics & bold highlights mine)

"Vietnam stops checking COVID-19 testing, vaccination papers at airports
Tuoi Tre News
Saturday, January 22, 2022

The Vietnamese Ministry of Transport has lifted the requirement of certificates of full vaccination against COVID-19, recovery from the disease or negative test results on air passengers from Saturday.

Deputy Minister of Transport Le Anh Tuan made a number of adjustments to the standards and conditions for passengers and crews of regular commercial flights in a dispatch sent to airlines and airport authorities on Friday.

Accordingly, certificates of full vaccination against COVID-19, recovery from the disease or negative test results are no longer compulsory for air passengers.

Only a coronavirus test certificate with a negative result using the real-time RT-PCR method or a rapid test within 72 hours before departure remains mandatory for passengers residing in areas at very high risk of COVID-19 transmission or in neighborhoods placed under medical isolation before the flight.

Cabin crews are also no longer subject to coronavirus testing before each flight.

Currently, the situation of the COVID-19 pandemic in Vietnam is basically under control nationwide and the vaccination rate is high, according to the Ministry of Transport.

The ministry has directed the Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam to closely monitor domestic air transport operations and proactively adjust the flight frequency to meet the travel needs of people while ensuring safe adaptation, flexibility, and effective control over the pandemic."

There are still tests required if travelling from a level 4 area.
Conditions for passengers traveling on domestic flights
- In case the passenger resides, stays before the flight in an epidemic area at level 4 or is in regional medical isolation (blockade) or the passenger on the flight departs from the epidemic area at level 4 or is isolated. regional health (blockade): have a negative test result for SARS-CoV-2 by RT-PCR method or antigen rapid test is valid within 72 hours from the time of sample collection. flight departure time.

Thus, the new regulation from January 22, 2022 has removed the inspection of test papers and sufficient vaccinations when flying with passengers who are not in the epidemic areas of level 4 mentioned above.

Latest covid level map click Here

Proposal to reopen for tourists from February...

Many ministries propose to open tourism completely, no pilot needed
Representatives of the Ministry of Transport, the Ministry of Public Security, aviation and economic experts ... "urgently" requested to open all international tourism from February.

On the afternoon of January 24, during a workshop to agree on the roadmap to open international tourism, Deputy Director of the Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam, the Ministry of Transport, Mr. Dinh Viet Son supported the opening of all tourism from February. Mr. indicating that the international passenger arrival route matches the airline industry plan. Currently, Vietnam has reopened routes with 10 markets, 14 flights/week. The aviation industry is negotiating, negotiating more with some European countries such as Russia, Germany...

Also of the same opinion, should always open from February, Mr. Trinh Hong Quang, Deputy General Director of Vietnam Airlines used the word "urgent". He said that domestic tourism is showing signs of improvement and travel demand is increasing, as evidenced by the fact that Tan Son Nhat airport has not been as congested for a long time as it is now. The airline representative also recommended not to isolate travelers arriving in Vietnam and to have a process to handle when the guest is F0.

Read the full story here

Do you think the days of 90 day visa runs will ever come back?

Jimpdxusa wrote:

I'll look for the thread where we discussed this previously, but the short answer is, we don't know.

What we do know is that before the lockdowns began and no visas were issued any longer, the Vietnamese government had already instituted new restrictions on long-term visas.

As I recall, those new regulations went into effect as of July 1st 2020.

Anyone holding a tourist visa of any length was then required to report to local immigration every 30 days and pay a fee for extending their stay (I'm pretty sure it was the equivalent of $10 or $20 USD, but I'd be happy for anybody to correct me on anything I'm saying about this).

So, if a person had the old one-year tourist visa for US citizens, they would still be required to do a border run every 90 days AND report to immigration every 30 days while they were remaining in country.

We just don't know what visas are now going to be available as the borders reopen, and it's certainly possible that the longer-term Visas simply won't be available.

There is no current link to share and anything that I or anyone else has to say about this is conjecture or rumor.

I know it wouldn't surprise me if there were nothing longer than a 30 day tourist visa available, and in order to stay longer, a tourist would need to go to immigration to get an extension every 30 days, for as long as immigration would approve it.

One thing that is clear is that the government has been taking a much closer look at long-term tourist visas, especially to control those who come into the country on tourist visas and then work illegally.

Unfortunately, that's probably going to make life more difficult for those who have carved out a good life for themselves in Vietnam utilizing tourist visas (and illegal business visas).

I predict an uptick in marriages...

Thank you, great reply and helpful.  Seems like it's way more difficult to retire over there. 

For a glass is half full thought.  It would be nice if they instituted the 90 days again to help rebuild the economy. 

Any suggestions on other SE Asia counties that make it easier for expats to stay long term?

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Jimpdxusa wrote:

I'll look for the thread where we discussed this previously, but the short answer is, we don't know.

What we do know is that before the lockdowns began and no visas were issued any longer, the Vietnamese government had already instituted new restrictions on long-term visas.

As I recall, those new regulations went into effect as of July 1st 2020.

Anyone holding a tourist visa of any length was then required to report to local immigration every 30 days and pay a fee for extending their stay (I'm pretty sure it was the equivalent of $10 or $20 USD, but I'd be happy for anybody to correct me on anything I'm saying about this).

So, if a person had the old one-year tourist visa for US citizens, they would still be required to do a border run every 90 days AND report to immigration every 30 days while they were remaining in country.

We just don't know what visas are now going to be available as the borders reopen, and it's certainly possible that the longer-term Visas simply won't be available.

There is no current link to share and anything that I or anyone else has to say about this is conjecture or rumor.

I know it wouldn't surprise me if there were nothing longer than a 30 day tourist visa available, and in order to stay longer, a tourist would need to go to immigration to get an extension every 30 days, for as long as immigration would approve it.

One thing that is clear is that the government has been taking a much closer look at long-term tourist visas, especially to control those who come into the country on tourist visas and then work illegally.

Unfortunately, that's probably going to make life more difficult for those who have carved out a good life for themselves in Vietnam utilizing tourist visas (and illegal business visas).

I predict an uptick in marriages...

Jimpdxusa wrote:

Any suggestions on other SE Asia counties that make it easier for expats to stay long term?

Check out the Thailand forum

Thank you sir.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Jimpdxusa wrote:

Check out the Thailand forum

The immigration department will move the visa process online.  This will mean that people wanted to stay in Vietnam for a long time as a tourist will be able to renew their visa without using those pesky greedy lying agents.  Border runs will not be necessary.

However, the government will continue to try to strangle the use of tourist visas for people who use them as a way of skipping their responsibilities regarding working in Vietnam.

There are very few countries in the world with immigration policies that allow foreigners to stay in a country and work without paying taxes and social/health insurances. As Vietnam steadily increases the social services available to the population (let us include services such as vaccinations, policing, emergency ambulances, etc) then they increasingly want to be sure those services are funded by the people who use them.  That seems reasonable.

And I think all of us would like to see the thieving agents disabled.

Retiring in Vietnam is not going to be so easy from now on. You will either need to own a business or be married to a local.

[I think "arranged marriages" will be a thing of the future. I know at least one person who trapped himself into an intolerable lifestyle by marrying a pretty VN who the tricked him into having a baby and now effectively own half the land he bought with his life savings.  If anyone is considering that approach, I would recommend starting with a good lawyer.]

The fact is that VN is concerned about the possibility of Chinese aggression. In the event that there was a national emergency, they would want to kick out or arrest all Chinese nationals. And the easiest way to do that is to ensure that the visas of ALL foreigners can be revoked at a moments notice.

This is what the innocent and innocuous retiree is up against.

Expat42inVN wrote:

The immigration department will move the visa process online.  This will mean that people wanted to stay in Vietnam for a long time as a tourist will be able to renew their visa without using those pesky greedy lying agents.  Border runs will not be necessary.

However, the government will continue to try to strangle the use of tourist visas for people who use them as a way of skipping their responsibilities regarding working in Vietnam.

There are very few countries in the world with immigration policies that allow foreigners to stay in a country and work without paying taxes and social/health insurances. As Vietnam steadily increases the social services available to the population (let us include services such as vaccinations, policing, emergency ambulances, etc) then they increasingly want to be sure those services are funded by the people who use them.  That seems reasonable.

And I think all of us would like to see the thieving agents disabled........"all of us", speak for yourself & dont make out your views are for "all of us"  ...........I for one am quite happy for my agent to take care of my visa, driving licence etc & am more than happy to pay them for it!!

goodolboy wrote:
Expat42inVN wrote:

And I think all of us would like to see the thieving agents disabled........"all of us", speak for yourself & dont make out your views are for "all of us"  ...........I for one am quite happy for my agent to take care of my visa, driving licence etc & am more than happy to pay them for it!!

I think he is referring to the agents that are charging way above the going price. Eg., a lady gave me a price of 13 million to do a A2 license that I can do myself for 400k.

[I think "arranged marriages" will be a thing of the future. I know at least one person who trapped himself into an intolerable lifestyle by marrying a pretty VN who the tricked him into having a baby and now effectively own half the land he bought with his life savings.  If anyone is considering that approach, I would recommend starting with a good lawyer.]

Not quite true, just because you get married and have a child doesnt mean the woman automatically gets 50%. If you enter into this agreement you should have a letter showing where the funds come from. Youre right that she is in the box seat and he could lose the whole lot as its in her name.

I too have a good agent. She never overcharges.

But when agents (especially in my area) charge 11 million for doing something that costs 2 million, then I feel justified in using words like thieving.

We have one individual here who even told me how he rips off foreigners. I couldn't believe my ears!

I can even show you proof of an agent holding 30-40 Gmail accounts and using them to boost his ratings.

Expat42inVN wrote:

Be interesting to see how they get rid of border runs, in the past in country renewals/extensions have been more expensive than a border run, if they make it expensive online then I can see people just going out and back in anyway & get a new visa each time?

Hows biz still slow?

Fair enough, the technicality is that they get dual control not dual ownership.

But put that into the relevant situation and you'll see that the poor guy is trapped and unable to anything about it.

Andybris2020 wrote:

Hows biz still slow?

Yes. It's dead. We're expecting large numbers to arrive from Saigon tonight, but the reality is that COVID damage has been so extensive it will take a long time to recover.

We are getting a heck of a lot of definitive proclamations from somebody who didn't even know that a foreigner can have a savings account in Vietnam...

Well, I stand corrected.  I guess the law changed. There was certainly a period a few years ago when the government decided to bar foreigners from earning interest on deposit accounts. I will do some research.

Perhaps you could moderate your tone?

Expat42inVN wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Hows biz still slow?

Yes. It's dead. We're expecting large numbers to arrive from Saigon tonight, but the reality is that COVID damage has been so extensive it will take a long time to recover.

From Saigon, yep including us and boys probably,, make sure you have spicy beef in this time lol

Expat42inVN wrote:

Well, I stand corrected.  I guess the law changed. There was certainly a period a few years ago when the government decided to bar foreigners from earning interest on deposit accounts. I will do some research.

Perhaps you could moderate your tone?

Yep that was just before covid I had a Timo account and they said when term finished law had changed and cant any more then they changed it again.
You were probably too busy pouring beers, chating up cute tourists or counting your nights takings to notice the change lol

Andybris2020 wrote:
Expat42inVN wrote:

Yep that was just before covid I had a Timo account and they said when term finished law had changed and cant any more then they changed it again.
You were probably too busy pouring beers, chating up cute tourists or counting your nights takings to notice the change lol

Thanks for the confirmation. ...Saves me the bother of checking my sanity.  ;-)